• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

James Webb, World's Largest Space Telescope Ready for Launch in 2018

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anybody know why it has to get to L2 before unfurling? I know we cant send a shuttle up to fix it there's a problem, but I would expect that in case of a problem that Musk would be eager to figure to get a crew dragon to it if it were still in LEO. Then send in on its way.
From Why won't JWST deploy in LEO where it is potentially serviceable?:
That upper stage has to be used immediately to launch it on a trajectory to the Sun-Earth L2. The stage operates on batteries, and the cryogenic fuel is boiling off.
the deployed mirror and sunshade would have to be designed to take the loads from the thrust of the upper stage, which would increase their mass and complexity.
because there is too great a risk of the optics being damaged by debris.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you look at the timeline it is going to unfurl before it reaches L2.

TunaBug

Forum Donor

TunaBug

Forum Donor
If you look at the timeline it is going to unfurl before it reaches L2.

Yep, and I've had a great time following the daily progress. The real point of my question, though, was why not deploy it while it's in LEO and accessible for repair. Whether they deploy between earth & L2, or wait until arrival at L2, doesn't impact reparability.

By the way, am I the only one that is embarrassed that the Where is Web page defaults to showing miles & Fahrenheit?

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I watched a video earlier in the week (sorry, I lost the link) and one of the NASA project scientists commented that JWST will probably be the last flagship space telescope to be assembled on the ground.
Maybe this, although he said it's his hope that eventually they will be built in space:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, and I've had a great time following the daily progress. The real point of my question, though, was why not deploy it while it's in LEO and accessible for repair. Whether they deploy between earth & L2, or wait until arrival at L2, doesn't impact reparability.

By the way, am I the only one that is embarrassed that the Where is Web page defaults to showing miles & Fahrenheit?
I did notice that, but consider it's being paid for with American tax dollars, so he who pays the fiddler should call the tune.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
I thought the US committed to operation through to 2030 3 years ago. Is this just the current administration confirming that nothing has changed, or does it have some other significance?

I believe, yes - in Dec 2018 the ISS was authorized to operate till 2030 (through the Leading Human Spaceflight Act)… while the funding was appropriated through 2025. The current administration is extending the federal funding to 2030, though it might still require Congress approval.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good news. The sunshield on the Webb is fully deployed and all five layers have been successfully tensioned. Next step is deployment of the secondary mirror in the next couple of days, followed by the deployment of the primary and its segments for the 14 days after that. L2 insertion will follow. And six months later, Webb will open its eyes! :oops:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand the initial launch was so accurate that minimal mid-course corrections are needed, thereby saving very significant amounts of maneuvering fuel. As a result the use life of JWST will more than double the initial five year projection.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Tomorrow (on Jan 8): :)

22E80E50-A1B0-4BB3-8159-10D7662CA188.gif

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

They did the port side today successfully. Tomorrow they do the starboard side, which will be live broadcast on the Nasa YouTube channel, followed by a 'we have an observatory' press conference.

So far, it seems like it couldn't have gone much better.

Fingers crossed the rest goes as well.

AudioX3

I have been watching the NASA channel for daily updates and each step is awe inpiring! We all need a world unifying experience and space exploration is one of those amazing persuits and achievements that can serve in that.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Webb now fully deployed. Second nerve moments are the Sceince hard & software operations fingers crossed:eek:.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom