• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

James Webb, World's Largest Space Telescope Ready for Launch in 2018

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Does anybody know why it has to get to L2 before unfurling? I know we cant send a shuttle up to fix it there's a problem, but I would expect that in case of a problem that Musk would be eager to figure to get a crew dragon to it if it were still in LEO. Then send in on its way.
I assume it's to delicate to be unfurled while doing manoeuvres needed to achieve L2

TunaBug

Forum Donor
I assume it's to delicate to be unfurled while doing manoeuvres needed to achieve L2

I should have mentioned my own guess...it may be too expensive (mass of fuel and thrusters) to park in LEO, then move to L2. I keep (naively) hoping though that I might find something from somebody who actually knows.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think it would take too much fuel. They definitely adjust the L2 drift.

Anyway, awaiting the launch with baited breath. After these past couple of years, it would be nice to have a non-messed up essentially planetary importance event.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it would take too much fuel. They definitely adjust the L2 drift.

Anyway, awaiting the launch with baited breath. After these past couple of years, it would be nice to have a non-messed up essentially planetary importance event.
I am not a rocket scientist, but I'd expect the thrust needed to move from LEO to L2 are orders of magnitude higher than that needed to correct drift once there.

I vote for the "too fragile to unfurl. This thing is made from soot and spiderweb. Though it could be a fuel limit also.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am not a rocket scientist, but I'd expect the thrust needed to move from LEO to L2 are orders of magnitude higher than that needed to correct drift once there.

I vote for the "too fragile to unfurl. This thing is made from soot and spiderweb. Though it could be a fuel limit also.
I suspect you’re correct. I posted before coffee. I cursory search didn’t reveal to me initial acceleration figures but perhaps it cannot stand it when unfurled. Don’t know. They did work on it in 1g though…

In any case, I’m sure that if something goes wrong, Musk will see it as a dare to drive some Tesla there and fix it with a Doge-branded spanner.

charleski

Major Contributor
The telescope optics and science packages are very sensitive and need to be kept out of direct sunlight. It would be impossible to manoeuvre to L2 while keeping the entire craft oriented so that they’re screened by the shield.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anybody know why it has to get to L2 before unfurling? I know we cant send a shuttle up to fix it there's a problem, but I would expect that in case of a problem that Musk would be eager to figure to get a crew dragon to it if it were still in LEO. Then send in on its way.
The actual reason behind it is because that's the permanent location where JWST will be parked for observations and unfurling that giant observatory prior to that orbit would require significant amount of fuel to push into orbit.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The actual reason behind it is because that's the permanent location where JWST will be parked for observations and unfurling that giant observatory prior to that orbit would require significant amount of fuel to push into orbit.

Looks like it starts the origami unfold shortly after launch, then continues through the journey.

JWSTDeployment.jpg

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like it starts the origami unfold shortly after launch, then continues through the journey.

View attachment 171483
Wow color me fancy, assuming they are doing this to ensure checks are being made to the unfurling as it glides along. That is one of the most complicated procedures for sure.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
How do you dare post real, actual information thereby preventing the explosion of random uninformed speculation that makes this board so addictive? ;)

Sorry...lost my head for a minute there!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess that’s because it’s in orbit around the sun, not the earth like Hubble is.

Top Bottom