• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

James Webb, World's Largest Space Telescope Ready for Launch in 2018

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hopefully there are no more snags. Can't wait to see the results....
The hardest point of the launch will be unfurling the telescope out of the fairing at LN2 where nothing but sensors will tell if it worked the way it was designed. I've been anxiously waiting a decade for JWST to launch and start conducting science, hopefully it really delivers on the promise.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hope we don't have to regrind the lens again this time. ;)

Somafunk

Major Contributor

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hope we don't have to regrind the lens again this time. ;)
Wouldn't that be embarrassing if that were to happen again. They say history repeats itself but lets hope not.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Just noticed, looks like there finally launching DEC 22.

I haven't heard much about the clamp band incident, but it's hard to imagine the feelings of those on hand.

What an awesome achievement...assuming it all works. No reservicing missions for this one.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I have a coffee table book of Hubble' best images that my 3 yr old peruses through and calls out all the nebulae

I will never forget seeing the first of the various 'Deep Field' images. Some 'profound shit' as my Philosophy Prof used to say.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will never forget seeing the first of the various 'Deep Field' images. Some 'profound shit' as my Philosophy Prof used to say.

Those deep field images are just the tip of the iceberg until JWST peers further in time. It’s Mind boggling the scale of cosmos.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm still waiting to see one come down like this,
little_green_men.png

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
042BE537-9F31-474D-B95C-503003606D17.jpeg

If anybody ever wants to look through a great history of Hubble photos. That’s the book.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The HST is one of the most amazing accomplishments in human history!

It has provided a view of the Universe unfathomable before and increased our knowledge almost immeasurably… it is my pleasure to have lived through this scientific advancement!

TunaBug

Forum Donor
Does anybody know why it has to get to L2 before unfurling? I know we cant send a shuttle up to fix it there's a problem, but I would expect that in case of a problem that Musk would be eager to figure to get a crew dragon to it if it were still in LEO. Then send in on its way.

Top Bottom