• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

James Webb, World's Largest Space Telescope Ready for Launch in 2018

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Quite exciting:

http://www.space.com/34593-james-webb-space-telescope-complete-2018-launch.html

After more than 20 years of construction, the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) is complete and, following in-depth testing, the largest-ever space telescope is expected to launch within two years, NASA officials announced today (Nov. 2).

NASA Administrator Charles Bolden hosted a news conference to announce the milestone this morning at the agency's Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland, overlooking the 18 large mirrors that will collect infrared light, sheltered behind a tennis-court-size sun shield. JWST is considered the successor to NASA's iconic Hubble Space Telescope.

"Today, we're celebrating the fact that our telescope is finished, and we're about to prove that it works," said John Mather, an astrophysicist and senior project scientist for the telescope. "We've done two decades of innovation and hard work, and this is the result — we're opening up a whole new territory of astronomy." [How NASA's James Webb Space Telescope Works (Infographic)]

The telescope will be much more powerful than even Hubble for two main reasons, Mather said at the conference. First, it will be the biggest telescope mirror to fly in space. "You can see this beautiful, gold telescope is seven times the collecting area of the Hubble telescope," Mather said. And second, it is designed to collect infrared light, which Hubble is not very sensitive to.

Earth's atmosphere glows in the infrared, so such measurements can't be made from the ground. Hubble emits its own heat, which would obscure infrared readings. JWST will run close to absolute zero in temperature and rest at a point in space called the Lagrange Point 2, which is directly behind Earth from the sun's perspective. That way, Earth can shield the telescope from some of the sun's infrared emission, and the sun shield can protect the telescope from both bodies' heat.

The telescope's infrared view will pierce through obscuring cosmic dust to reveal the universe's first galaxies and spy on newly forming planetary systems. It also will be sensitive enough to analyze the atmospheres of exoplanets that pass in front of their stars, perhaps to search for signs of life, Mather said.

The telescope would be able to see a bumblebee a moon's distance away, he added — both in reflected light and in the body heat the bee emitted. Its mirrors are so smooth that if you stretched the array to the size of the U.S., the hills and valleys of irregularity would be only a few inches high, Mather said.

In addition to Bolden and Mather, Christopher Scolese, director of the Goddard Space Flight Center; Thomas Zurbuchen, NASA's new associate administrator for science; Eric Smith, the telescope's program director; and Bill Ochs, director of the James Webb mission, attended the news conference.

"Some of you that have followed JWST know that it almost didn't happen, and it's mainly because of the people that are sitting here, able to talk to you today, that we're all here and within two years of launch," Bolden said.

The telescope was originally scheduled to launch in 2014, at a cost of about $5 billion, but a series of setbacks and budget constraints delayed and nearly canceled the project. Now, though, officials affirmed that the telescope is on track and on budget for an October 2018 launch on an Ariane 5 rocket. (As a result of the delays, JWST's cost is now $8.7 billion, Ochs said.) The project is led by NASA but supported by international partners, including the European Space Agency and the Canadian Space Agency.

The telescope's testing at Goddard, which has already begun, will ensure that it can withstand the shaking and loud noise of a rocket launch. Then, it will be moved to Texas, where its focus will be tested, and then to California for some final assembly. The testing is particularly high-stakes, because unlike Hubble, which was repaired and refocused in orbit by astronauts, this telescope is not intended to be repaired by humans.

"It's critically important to get it right here on the ground, and that's the purpose for the tests that we're doing here and, most importantly, for the tests when we get it down to Johnson [Space Center] in Chamber A, the big vacuum chamber," Bolden said.

"[We need to] make sure it can, in fact, be focused, so that we don't find, as we did with Hubble, that we don't have the ability to do what we thought it was going to be able to do," Bolden said, referring to the repairs needed to focus Hubble after launch. Each of JWST's mirrors is individually tunable, he said, so they can be adjusted without a corrective lens like the one astronauts put on Hubble.

"Our lessons learned from the Hubble [telescope incident] were, if you really care about something, you've got to measure it at least twice," Mather added. "And if you don't get the same answer, you'd better figure out why."

Researchers will make observations with the telescope for at least 5 years, and will carry enough fuel for 10 years — if they're lucky, JWST will last even longer, Mather and Bolden said. They added that the craft will absolutely be hit by space debris over the course of its lifespan, and that it's designed to function fine with small holes in its mirrors.

The full telescope, with a 21.3-foot (6.5 meters) mirror assembly, is too large to launch fully extended, so the telescope will be carefully furled during launch and will have to unfold over the course of two weeks once it's in space, Mather said. After that, the sun shield will be extended carefully, and the telescope will be given time to cool down. Finally, it will be focused, they said.

By six months after launch, the telescope will be ready to begin doing science.

Mather alluded to the "7 minutes of terror" of the Curiosity Mars rover's automated landing in 2012 — a famously complicated maneuver that used a rocket-powered sky crane to lower the vehicle to the Martian surface.

"This is six months of terror," he said.

Email Sarah Lewin at [email protected] or follow her @SarahExplains. Follow us @Spacedotcom, Facebook and Google+. Original article on Space.com.

fas42

Major Contributor
I find it hilarious that they mention measuring it twice! With that much at stake, I would measuring it, ummm, 10 times or so ...

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I truly hope this telescope makes it into space, and it does everything once it is up there.

iridium.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Scary number of mechanical parts/movements that have to work perfectly!

Fortunately each one of the mirror tiles has remote adjustment so we won't have the focus issues with Hubble telescope. Not in theory anyway!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Scary number of mechanical parts/movements that have to work perfectly!

I had the same thought looking at this one a while back:

I think this was the post-launch picture, from my house (115 miles away). Yes, November 26, 2011

2013-07-04_1406.png

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
"This is six months of terror," he said.
I can't for the life of me begin to understand why it would take 6 months to get it up and running? But in any case this is a awesome piece of tech and should be able to supply incredible data.
I hope all goes well!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I can't for the life of me begin to understand why it would take 6 months to get it up and running?

Here is an additional timeline of everything that will happen after launch:

• In the first hour: Starting at liftoff, the Ariane rocket will provide thrust for a little over 8 minutes. Webb will separate from the Ariane V launch vehicle a half hour after launch and we will deploy the solar array immediately afterward. We will also release several systems that were locked for launch.
  • In the first day: Two hours after launch we will deploy the high gain antenna. About ten and a half hours after launch, JWST will pass the Moon's orbit, nearly a quarter of the way to L2. Twelve hours after launch there will be the first trajectory correction maneuver by small rocket engines aboard JWST itself.
  • In the first week: The second trajectory correction maneuver will take place at 2.5 days after launch. We will start the sequence of major deployment just after that. The first deployments are the fore and aft sunshield pallets, followed by the release of remaining sub-system launch locks. The next deployment is the telescope in which the telescope and the spacecraft bus move apart from each other by about 2 meters when the deployable tower assembly extends. The full sunshield deployment with unfolding and tensioning of the membranes can then be initiated. At 6 days we deploy the secondary mirror, followed by the side wings of the primary mirror.
  • In the first month: As the telescope cools down in the shade of the deployed sunshield, we will turn on the warm electronics and initialize the flight software. At the end of the first month, we will do the mid-course correction that ensures that Webb will achieve its final orbit around L2. Although the telescope cools to near its operating temperature, the ISIM is warmed with electric heaters to prevent condensation on the instruments as residual water trapped in the materials making up the observatory escapes to the vacuum of space.
  • In the second month: At 33 days after launch we will turn on and operate the Fine Guidance Sensor, then NIRCam and NIRSpec. The first NIRCam image will be of a crowded star field to make sure that light gets through the telescope into the instruments. Since the primary mirror segments will not yet be aligned, the picture will still be out of focus. At 44 days after launch we will begin the process of adjusting the primary mirror segments, first identifying each mirror segment with its image of a star in the camera. We will also focus the secondary mirror.
  • In the third month: From 60 to 90 days after launch we will align the primary mirror segments so that they can work together as a single optical surface. We will also turn on and operate the MIRI. By the end of the third month we will be able to take the first science-quality images. Also by this time, Webb will complete its initial orbit around L2.
  • In the fourth through the sixth month: At about 85 days after launch we will have completed the optimization of the telescope image in the NIRCam. Over the next month and a half we will optimize the image for the other instruments. We will test and calibrate all of the instrument capabilities by observing representative science targets.
  • After six months: Webb will begin its science mission and start to conduct routine science operations.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Hubble trubble...

*thinks about the poor (even if well paid) guys who have to remotely debug software and hardware written and built 35 years ago...

NASA Continues Work on Hubble Space Telescope – Backup Computer Turned On, but It Fails With the Same Error

https://scitechdaily.com/nasa-conti...r-turned-on-but-it-fails-with-the-same-error/

Well, be back later... Looks like the first good day in a while for flying my club's 30 year old glider. It's been cloudy and rainy most everyday, remnants from that storm that was recently in the gulf, combined with the usual early summer afternoon local storms..

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just hope the Webb can produce Lecia-like 3D pop and pretty bokeh better than the Hubble.

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
It is a corporate welfare project for Northrop Grumman. They are the reason for the delays and the 20X cost over run...initial estimate was $500M and now over $10G.

I'll bet that China will make a better one for $100M and get it into orbit in a year...they don't have to feed the parasites.

JuliaCoder

I'm halfway through Introduction to Astrophysics. For those not afraid of a dozen basic calculus equations per lecture, it's great. Much deeper than other popularizations, but graspable to a general audience that remembers some math.

Free if your library offers Kanopy.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Measured in BCS this will be a very heavy paiload.

BCS= Brain Cell Sweat

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Arrived at launch site 2021.

Hopefully we europeans dont screw up now. This will be a very exiting launch. I will need tons of beer and peanut flips for my nervs.
Think they have some cool subis. ;)

20Hz at 142dB. Holy crap. Looking forward to the launch on December 18 and first light sometime next year.

Martin

tomtoo

Major Contributor
20Hz at 142dB. Holy crap. Looking forward to the launch on December 18 and first light sometime next year.

Martin

Yeah, most exiting mission for me. Hopefully my thumps can stand the pressure.
For space science nerds thats the superbowl. ;)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll bet that China will make a better one for $100M and get it into orbit in a year...they don't have to feed the parasites.
You sound like you no likey the corporate America (a "parasite" seems way over the top) but would "bet" on the prosperity of stolen tech!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope no one minds me doing a homage [?] to James Edwin Webb.
I was totally ignorant before looking it up << now I am "totally-1" ignorant!
James Edwin Webb (October 7, 1906 – March 27, 1992) was an American government official who served as Undersecretary of State from 1949–1952. He was also the second appointed administrator of NASA from February 14, 1961, to October 7, 1968. Webb oversaw NASA from the beginning of the Kennedy administration through the end of the Johnson administration, thus overseeing all the critical first manned launches in the Mercury through Gemini programs, until just before the first crewed Apollo flight. He also dealt with the Apollo 1 fire.
In 2002, the Next Generation Space Telescope (NGST) was renamed the James Webb Space Telescope as a tribute to Webb. The James Webb Space Telescope is slated to launch in December 2021.

Top Bottom