• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

It is really worth it for me to buy Dr Toole's Sound Reproduction book?

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Will it stop you from trying to determine the most minute differences in dacs? Maybe. Hard to say why you should read it particularly from your posting here, as it is hard to know what you know/assume, but it certainly won't hurt and likely will clarify things in general....
Haha, likely it will not stop me from listening for minute differences in DAC and headphones amp, etc....But I think I am pretty much done, having 3 pairs on hand already.

; )

Like you said, having knowledge certainly won't hurt.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I recommend watching this presentation of his, and then if the content interests you, pay for the book.

One thing I learned is how critical it is get the acoustics of the room correct, because no amount of money or EQ can fix time domain problems.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
The book is a bit dense for a casual reader for me, but I find it useful as a reference from time to time. So reading it cover to cover probably won't ever happen. But it sure can elucidate some of the things I don't understand on ASR!

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I recommend watching this presentation of his, and then if the content interests you, pay for the book.

One thing I learned is how critical it is get the acoustics of the room correct, because no amount of money or EQ can fix time domain problems.
I do like the video.

Blind tests part I already get since joining ASR. I have done many blind tests since.

Spinorama thing I pretty much get the core ideas by reading Amir's measurements of multiple speakers....

I wonder how the predicted curve accounts for different room heights, wall and floor materials. For example, if the room is 18 ft tall, 23 ft wide, wall is textured dry walls, and is heavily carpeted, how will the predicted curve match actual measurements?

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
I wonder how the predicted curve accounts for different room heights, wall and floor materials. For example, if the room is 18 ft tall, 23 ft wide, wall is textured dry walls, and is heavily carpeted, how will the predicted curve match actual measurements?
You can find that out by reading the book. :)

iMickey503

Forum Donor
I Found the book for 25 bucks.
Its an ex-Library book from the U.K.
1648023769105.png

I don't see it in any Library's here in Portland. (Its Probably at OHSU Campus Library)
My History teacher Coach Mac use to say: " Learn for the sake of learning".

Since my goal in life was to make the world a better place, how about I ship it to you and when you are done with it? You can pass it along to someone else after your done with it?

Drop me a PM with your shipping address and its yours.

Elkerton

The Book is technical, directed mostly to speaker engineers. However, for the enthusiast, it provides a wealth of information on why one speaker might sound better than another, what type of surround sound speaker design betters another (and the proof), etc., etc.

It is rather like a Bible which one may read cover to cover (as I have of the 1st and 2nd editions) and, then, refers to time and time again, like my trying to discover the usual output of surround sound speakers relative to the main stereo pair (-3db). One dips into it time and time again, again rather like a Bible- indispensable to avid audiophile.

BTW, I tried reading the pdf of the 1st edition and gave up after 35 pages. I hated being glued to the computer. Having the book on hand is priceless, so worth it IMO.

Last edited:
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I Found the book for 25 bucks.
Its an ex-Library book from the U.K.
View attachment 194544

I don't see it in any Library's here in Portland. (Its Probably at OHSU Campus Library)
My History teacher Coach Mac use to say: " Learn for the sake of learning".

Since my goal in life was to make the world a better place, how about I ship it to you and when you are done with it? You can pass it along to someone else after your done with it?

Drop me a PM with your shipping address and its yours.
Thanks for the offer. Your link is an old edition. I can afford to buy the 3rd edition from Amazon. Just want people to convince me that it is worth it.

I think enogh people have convinced me.

; )

Cote Dazur

After I read it, I find out that I still can't improve my current 4 setups in a meaningful way?

That is my main concern.

; )
Are you going to be in a better situation without knowing the data offered in the book?
Is less knowledge ever the answer? What you do with with the knowledge is up to you.
Good reading. ;)

Razorhelm

After I read it, I find out that I still can't improve my current 4 setups in a meaningful way?

That is my main concern.

; )
Is that not a pro! If you read it and find there are no more improvements to make the book will have given you piece of mind that your system is solid!

I read it while I listen to my system, most recently I learnt about multi sub systems and I'm very tempted to set one up in at least one room.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Are you going to be in a better situation without knowing the data offered in the book?
Is less knowledge ever the answer? What you do with with the knowledge is up to you.
Good reading. ;)
Haha, indeed, knowledge is power. But could be a curse....That I keep thinking that I can do better and better and never stop adjusting....

Anyway, I am convinced.

: )

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Is that not a pro! If you read it and find there are no more improvements to make the book will have given you piece of mind that your system is solid!

I read it while I listen to my system, most recently I learnt about multi sub systems and I'm very tempted to set one up in at least one room.
I wonder the multi subs thing is tested in large (5k+ cubic ft) open room, like a large living room that opens to the rest of the whole house.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the offer. Your link is an old edition. I can afford to buy the 3rd edition from Amazon. Just want people to convince me that it is worth it.

; )
It's basically a well-written summary of most of the relevant audio-related studies done. Much of it is plenty boring, but important to understand if you want to know the how's and why's.

It's not really necessary to read for a hobbyist with a healthy relationship to both science and information coming from forums such as this, but nevertheless I highly recommend it on a personal level.

iMickey503

Forum Donor

; )
This one right?
1648047226881.png

Like I said.
Send me a PM.

Its not about cost. That's irrelevant. Its about the gift of knowledge. Its the best gift you can give to anyone. And it lasts a lifetime. (Or until next Asteroid)

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
This one right?
View attachment 194617

Like I said.
Send me a PM.

Its not about cost. That's irrelevant. Its about the gift of knowledge. Its the best gift you can give to anyone. And it lasts a lifetime. (Or until next Asteroid)
I appreciate your offer. For privacy reason, I can't accept your gift. I will let someone else benefits from your generosity.

: )

Thanks again!

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, look, if nobody wants the 50 bucks, i take them.
I promise i invest them in "knowledge". There are a few beers i need to try, i'm curious how they taste.
1606563479563.jpg

But yeah, nice gesture @iMickey503 no doubt. :cool:

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Wait fuck. GERMANY!..
Oh Holy fuck man.. You are going to have to tell me how to enter that in Amazon.
How about I just give you 51 bucks via Paypal. And you buy it yourself?
That seems WAY easier. I have ZILCH Idea how to ship stuff from Amazon Overseas and all the VAT, Lax or whatever you guys have for customs.

Damn. Did not see that one coming. Good thing you don't live on the moon or something.
That shipping would have been killer.

BEER also spreads joy!

Top Bottom