• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

It is really worth it for me to buy Dr Toole's Sound Reproduction book?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Hi All,

First of all, I want to make it clear that I like Dr Toole's posts in ASR.

However, I wonder, other than showing my appreciation to him by buying his book, will I really gain more musical enjoyments after reading his book and implement something I didn't do yet. So, for those already read his book, please convince me that I need his book.

What I have learned from multiple discussions in ASR are:

*In general, preferences for speakers become less clear when multiple speakers are used. I already have two multichannel setups, each calibrated with automatic room eq capabilities. Would I gain even more by reading the book?

*Eq capabilities are important. All my setups have that capabilities. So, would I gain anything more by reading the book?

*Bass is ~30% of preference. All my currently active setups, 2 multi channels and 2 stereo setups, have room eq sub(s). For stereo setups, minidsp and REW were used to calibrate them. One stereo setup further utilizing subs' own room eq capabilities. Will reading the book further improve my bass enjoyments?

My limitations:
*For all the currently active setups I have, in small study, medium size family room, and large living room, where I can place my speakers/subs are limited. Other than using room eq capabilities of AVR/AV Preamp/minidsp, I don't think I will be able to change too much in speakers/subs placements to make sound adjustments.

*I don't plan to buy any speakers or sub, nor plan to move to new home anytime soon. Likely won't change for years. So I don't plan to setup anything brand new from scratch.

What else from the book that I am missing that I could incorporate into my setups to further improve my enjoyments?

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Have you looked if you can check it out at a local library?
Good idea. I searched local library website using either title or author keyword and got no hit at all.

: (

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Get the book! What you’ll get from it , if you read it, will save you thousands of dollars or euros or whatever currency you deal with.
As well as enjoying more music …

Peace.

Haha, I don't plan to buy more speakers. Maybe another large sub for handling 30hz and below to balance out my other 15" sub on the right (for my stereo setup in big room). Not sure how by reading the book will save me thousands now...As I am plenty cheap and will likely buy used sub below $1K anyway.

; )

Is there one thing specific you see that I am missing by not reading the book?

Thanks!

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Knowledge is power. The book: Is worth it’s weight in Gold to any Audio enthusiast. Without it would be like planning a cross country journey without a map! Not only is it a good read, you will use it as a reference over and over.

“Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms” by Floyd E. Toole.​

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The value of the book is far more than just practical. It goes through the current state of the science and clearly explains how that pertains to much of what we are trying to do. I’m only 6 chapters in and it has clarified so much of what I have read here and allowed me to make more informed judgements about how to work within my limitations. Of course I can check it out for free.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Knowledge is power. The book: Is worth it’s weight in Gold to any Audio enthusiast. Without it would be like planning a cross country journey without a map! Not only is it a good read, you will use it as a reference over and over.

“Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms” by Floyd E. Toole.​

Thanks! I agree knowledge is power.
I wish I read the book before I built all my current setups. I could have saved thousands like @FrantzM said.

For a person who already owns 4 speakers setups, already using room eq tools, and don't plan to setup anything new anytime soon, can you give me one example of important knowledge that I missed from the book will definitely benefit me now?

Thanks again!

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
The value of the book is far more than just practical. It goes through the current state of the science and clearly explains how that pertains to much of what we are trying to do. I’m only 6 chapters in and it has clarified so much of what I have read here and allowed me to make more informed judgements about how to work within my limitations. Of course I can check it out for free.
Yes, I get the knowledge part. But I am also curious about the practical part.
: )

Thanks!

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
There is a ton in there beyond the speaker itself.
I am sure that are tons beyond speakers for a 500+ page book. I am sure it would be a good read to expand my knowledge. It may even be a fun read once I retired and have more time to read every sentences.

I am just curious how it will benefit me now, using my existing setups as described in original post. Am I missing anything? I already using room eq tools, measuring tools, set speakers and subs placements as best as I could....What else am I missing by not reading the book now?

Thanks!

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
will I really gain more musical enjoyments after reading his book
I doubt it.

The book doesn't offer any emotional insights. It's a technical read and barely mentions music.

AdamG

Forum Donor
Thanks! I agree knowledge is power.
I wish I read the book before I built all my current setups. I could have saved thousands like @FrantzM said.

For a person who already owns 4 speakers setups, already using room eq tools, and don't plan to setup anything new anytime soon, can you give me one example of important knowledge that I missed from the book will definitely benefit me now?

Thanks again!
Sure and I will sum it up briefly. You don’t know what you don’t know. That is not an insult. Your asking me to reread the book looking for specific examples of how it will help your particular situation. This is about seeking knowledge not answers. The book will help teach you the why of Audio and the answers to your situation will follow the knowledge.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am sure that are tons beyond speakers for a 500+ page book. I am sure it would be a good read to expand my knowledge. It may even be a fun read once I retired and have more time to read every sentences.

I am just curious how it will benefit me now, using my existing setups as described in original post. Am I missing anything? I already using room eq tools, measuring tools, set speakers and subs placements as best as I could....What else am I missing by not reading the book now?

Thanks!
It helped me with understanding what I could and couldn’t control and how to go about controlling what I could. This includes EQing and DIY treatment. Do you need it to do those things? Not really, but it helps me understand what I am hearing and how to relate that to my speaker, room, and brain in order to make more valuable decisions moving forward.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Sure and I will sum it up briefly. You don’t know what you don’t know. That is not an insult. Your asking me to reread the book looking for specific examples of how it will help your particular situation. This is about seeking knowledge not answers. The book will help teach you the why of Audio and the answers to your situation will follow the knowledge.
I see.

No need to reread the book if you don't recall. Just in case you remember, may I know if it mentions compression and distortions issues (and the solutions) when playing loud in a large room?

AdamG

Forum Donor
I see.

No need to reread the book if you don't recall. Just in case you remember, may I know if it mentions compression and distortions issues (and the solutions) when playing loud in a large room?
Read this thread. Might help a little: iirc: Chapter 19 talks about distortion and compression issues. Chapter 4 is all about rooms and the effects.

Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime”

Last edited:
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Read this thread. Might help a little: iirc: Chapter 19 talks about distortion and compression issues. Chapter 4 is all about rooms and the effects.

Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime”
Thanks!

This quote from Amir scares me:
"Now start reading the 270+ references as I started a years back. "

; )

AdamG

Forum Donor
Thanks!

This quote from Amir scares me:
"Now start reading the 270+ references as I started a years back. "

; )
He has “Thirsty Brain Syndrome”. Another level of Crazy!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Will it stop you from trying to determine the most minute differences in dacs? Maybe. Hard to say why you should read it particularly from your posting here, as it is hard to know what you know/assume, but it certainly won't hurt and likely will clarify things in general....

Top Bottom