• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Isowall - wall damping

Boes

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience or Isowall wall damping or any similar? After watching
it seems to make more sense to damp the walls instead of stuffing a room full of room treatment. For my new house I was wonder if it's worth the effort to do something like this.

The house would be a standard wooden frame structure with a large room combining open kitchen, dining and living room.
The exact dimensions are not finalized yet but it would be a rectangular room 36 feet long, 17 feet wide, 10 feet high.

Look forward to hearing your experience / feedback.

OP
Boes

Boes

For the front wall I was already considering to get something like:

Blockader

The thickness of both diffusers and absorbers is crucial, as it significantly impacts their performance. Well-designed speakers exhibit a linear sound power behavior starting from 100Hz and upwards, and absorbers can potentially compromise their sound quality. This is because absorbers often lack a sufficiently linear absorption behavior that matches the linearity of such speakers.

In short, either get AT LEAST 20cm thick absorbers or diffusers or do not get anything at all. The absorption behavior of absorbers should be as linear as possible starting from 100hz up to 20khz. Same goes for diffusers but from 500hz to 20000hz.

Using those thin diffusers that the youtuber is using can actually mess up the sound, especially when placing diffusers on the front walls. It's honestly a silly idea. First they are placed in the wrong area, second they are too thin. Sure, his room might look fancier than mine which have lots of treatments, but we're here to talk about audio in an audio science review, not interior design.

In comparison this is how a decent diffuser looks like:

Modffractal_2-e1671573475823.webp

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here are more ideas for this type of design.

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The thickness of both diffusers and absorbers is crucial, as it significantly impacts their performance. Well-designed speakers exhibit a linear sound power behavior starting from 100Hz and upwards, and absorbers can potentially compromise their sound quality. This is because absorbers often lack a sufficiently linear absorption behavior that matches the linearity of such speakers.

In short, either get AT LEAST 20cm thick absorbers or diffusers or do not get anything at all. The absorption behavior of absorbers should be as linear as possible starting from 100hz up to 20khz. Same goes for diffusers but from 500hz to 20000hz.

Using those thin diffusers that the youtuber is using can actually mess up the sound, especially when placing diffusers on the front walls. It's honestly a silly idea. First they are placed in the wrong area, second they are too thin. Sure, his room might look fancier than mine which have lots of treatments, but we're here to talk about audio in an audio science review, not interior design.

Not a silly idea if you have enough absorption material behind the scatter slots. And I would think the front would be a great place for this type of "treatment" to combat the above 100Hz SBIR.

Attachments

• Home theater treatment.jpg
    Home theater treatment.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 57

Blockader

Not a silly idea if you have enough absorption material behind the scatter slots. And I would think the front would be a great place for this type of "treatment" to combat the above 100Hz SBIR.

I was mostly referring to the diffusers youtuber has used. Yeah I also use diffusion + absorption combo on front wall.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I don't have any experience...

Are you working with an architect? He/she probably knows something about acoustics, but more importantly they should know how to get in touch with an acoustical architect who you can consult with.

Beyond soundproofing and bass trapping which are "always good" different people have different "tastes" in room sound. So you should know what you're looking for... Some people a highly-absorbent space (like a recording/mixing studio). Othe people like some reflection (generally diffused reflection). Somebody called Ethan Winer a "studiophile". His company sells bass traps and other absorbing panels and I guess he advocates for a "dead" studio-like sound.

And when you're done, of course you should measure the room.... And you probably won't really be done and you may need some more tweaks... ;)

OP
Boes

Boes

Fully agree with your comments. It would be the intention to put a very thick layer of at least 20cm of absorbing material behind those wooden slats, which are only there to put in front of the cloth.

Dal1as

In a large room like that I would worry about treatment to get your rt60 down and just use absorbers of the right thickness behind the speakers for sbir. Diffusers depend on the room and may not be needed in such a large room.

Curvature

Major Contributor
Same goes for diffusers but from 500hz to 20000hz.
They don't work that high. Beyond a few kHz the wells have to be tiny. The only product I know that attempts that seriously is the RPG Diffractal, and even then it's very uneven.

1687744461923.png

Top Bottom