• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bass traps down the side of cupboards.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Thank you, not sure I have the funds for the bass array.. but something I will think about.

Unfortunately the cupboards needs to be structural, they're going to contain the multiple hard guitar cases.

To try to demonstrate a little more, this is more what i'm envisioning? If say I put 4x the 17x46.5 inch soffit bass traps either side, leaving 20cm air gap behind. Plus Something like the 6" SlatFusors in the middle? even floor to ceiling.

View attachment 318485

You should address question like: what are your room modes? What are problem frequencies you need to remove energy from?

Then you can get creative with absorber type and configuration. For example, make the cupboards 45 cm deep (instead of 60 cm) and bring them forward so the space behind them matches the space on each side. You now have volume for two absorbers 250 cm high 40 cm wide and ~185 cm deep, but L-shaped in plan view (wrapping behind each cupboard). Not bad depth. The question also becomes whether the resulting frontal area of 2 m2 is sufficient for a friction absorber for the frequencies you are targeting.

You are looking at the side corners (and possibly above/below the cupboards also). These are the high pressure areas, so think about Helmholz or membrane absorbers. The former are tricky to design. For the latter, mass-loaded vinyl isn't so expensive, so do you have fabrication skills? For more area you could make the cupboards themselves the tuned membrane absorber boxes. You'll need to seal the doors when closed of course. A lot will depend on your DIY skills, if you have them or can acquire them. Maybe this is too much, but maybe the suggestions are interesting.

OP
E

Elmutcho

You should address question like: what are your room modes? What are problem frequencies you need to remove energy from?

Then you can get creative with absorber type and configuration. For example, make the cupboards 45 cm deep (instead of 60 cm) and bring them forward so the space behind them matches the space on each side. You now have volume for two absorbers 250 cm high 40 cm wide and ~185 cm deep, but L-shaped in plan view (wrapping behind each cupboard). Not bad depth. The question also becomes whether the resulting frontal area of 2 m2 is sufficient for a friction absorber for the frequencies you are targeting.

You are looking at the side corners (and possibly above/below the cupboards also). These are the high pressure areas, so think about Helmholz or membrane absorbers. The former are tricky to design. For the latter, mass-loaded vinyl isn't so expensive, so do you have fabrication skills? For more area you could make the cupboards themselves the tuned membrane absorber boxes. You'll need to seal the doors when closed of course. A lot will depend on your DIY skills, if you have them or can acquire them. Maybe this is too much, but maybe the suggestions are interesting.
Thank you for giving some more specifics, I’ll definitely look into your suggestions

Top Bottom