• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is your interest in HiFi declining during spring and summer? Vote.

Is your interest in HiFi declining during spring and summer?

• Yes

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 46 59.0%
  • On the contrary, if it increases

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have a steadily increased interest in HiFi, regardless of the time of year

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have a constant decrease in interest in HiFi, regardless of the time of year

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I never even think about it from a selling point of view....as I don't sell hifi at all (I don't even sell my old gear, I just don't like dealing with any of it). Heck, these days rarely even shop for it.
It is probably the case that people do not sell their HiFi stuff in the summer due to reduced interest during that period to buy HiFi. Easier to sell, find more potential buyers, during the rest of the year. A not too improbable hypothesis, I think. That regardning Sweden, but what is noticeable in the thread is that it seems to differ between different countries, places. Depending on the weather and climate. Not too unlikely, if you think about it.:)

In any case. It's mostly speculation on my part.:)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is probably the case that people do not sell their HiFi stuff in the summer due to reduced interest during that period to buy HiFi. Easier to sell, find more potential buyers, during the rest of the year. A not too improbable hypothesis, I think. That regardning Sweden, but what is noticeable in the thread is that it seems to differ between different countries, places. Depending on the weather and climate. Not too unlikely, if you think about it.:)

In any case. It's mostly speculation on my part.:)

I think it's more constant here but that's from living in fairly moderate climate (west coast US). Don't know how well that holds up elsewhere in the US let alone other countries....or which hemisphere :)

Robin L

Master Contributor
The more I play my guitar, the less interest I have in audio equipment.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
In the summer, my main rig heats up my room too much. So from that perspective, my interest goes down.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
The more I play my guitar, the less interest I have in audio equipment.
But all of a sudden you will start thinking about one thing......equipment ...... guitar amplifier .... which one should I have ...

....."Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"...

He he. :)

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But all of a sudden you will start thinking about one thing......equipment ...... guitar amplifier .... which one should I have ...

.....Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!...

Never had a use for a guitar amp, don't play.....but a guitar amp vs reproduction gear is a completely different use....

Robin L

Master Contributor

.....Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!...

It's a Martin DRS2. It has a very functional piezo pickup with a volume and tone control tucked into the sound hole and a 1/4" jack near the battery [for the built-in preamp for the piezo] and strap peg.

Unamplified, it sounds like the angels singing Palestrina from on high.

Amplified, it's functional.

I'll allow someone else to fret over NOS vintage tubes for their Nigel Tufnel approved guitar amps.

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
It's a Martin DRS2. It has a very functional piezo pickup with a volume and tone control tucked into the soundhole and a 1/4" jack near the battery supply and strap peg.

Unamplified, it sounds like the angels singing Palestrina from on high.

Amplified, it's functional.

I'll allow someone else to fret over NOS vintage tubes for their Nigel Tufnel approved guitar amps.
To DIY speakers or play guitar, that is the question.Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer.....:)

At the moment I do not have a guitar amp but it will be some fun, a little ditto, in the near future.

IMG_20220507_051832.jpg

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
To DIY speakers or play guitar, that is the question.Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer.....:)

At the moment I do not have a guitar amp but it will be some fun, a little ditto, in the near future.

View attachment 205060
I have a cute little Microcube.

It's housetrained.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Never had a use for a guitar amp, don't play.....but a guitar amp vs reproduction gear is a completely different use....
It is possible to get an almost unhealthy fixation on anything. A friend told me that she was with a guy, when she was a teenager, who was collecting stones. A stone-collecting boyfriend was what she had.:) It was apparently the shit in that family, even the boyfriend's father collected stones. They had filled the whole attic full of lots of stones, so many that they began to get nervous about the roof falling. Well I said, what kind of rocks then? Any unusual types? She said: No, just ordinary stones, . No remarkable

She was, for obvious reasons, not with that guy for that long.:)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is possible to get an almost unhealthy fixation on anything. A friend told me that she was with a guy, when she was a teenager, who was collecting stones. A stone-collecting boyfriend was what she had.:) It was apparently the shit in that family, even the boyfriend's father collected stones. They had filled the whole attic full of lots of stones, so many that they began to get nervous about the roof falling. Well I said, what kind of rocks then? Any unusual types? No, she just said ordinary stones. No remarkable.

She was, for obvious reasons, not with that guy for that long.:)
That is a very weird story....but people are freaky and I think are gonna get what they asked for :)

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
That is a very weird story....but people are freaky and I think are gonna get what they asked for :)
I see it in front of me. Sitting at a bar and starting a conversation with a dude ... Although I think it enriches the world that there are bizarre people in it, I probably would have moved a few inches away from such a dude if he told me about his hobbies.:)
As I said, my friend broke up with her boyfriend. I understand that. ..Now you get to choose:Me or your stones ... he he.:)

Enough with OT about rocks.

Edit:
By the way, have a friend who got the same question but Frank Zappa instead of rocks (he was all in on Zappa, a zappoman). He chose Zappa.:)
He basically filled his entire dorm with Zappa records, originals and bootlegs and so on. :)
....Plus he, with relatively little success, played electric guitar. Various Zappa riffs were tested continuously. That was probably what decided it for her. Which I understand (I have unfortunately heard him play guitar).

Enough with OT about Zappa.

Last edited:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my Attic/mancave it becoms simply to hot too in the summer.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I see it in front of me. Sitting at a bar and starting a conversation with a dude ... Although I think it enriches the world that there are bizarre people in it, I probably would have moved a few inches away from such a dude if he told me about his hobbies.:)
As I said, my friend broke up with her boyfriend. I understand that. ..Now you get to choose:Me or your stones ... he he.:)

Enough with OT about rocks.

Edit:
By the way, have a friend who got the same question but Frank Zappa instead of rocks (he was all in on Zappa, a zappoman). He chose Zappa.:)
He basically filled his entire dorm with Zappa records, originals and bootlegs and so on. :)
....Plus he, with relatively little success, played electric guitar. Various Zappa riffs were tested continuously. That was probably what decided it for her. Which I understand (I have unfortunately heard him play guitar).

Enough with OT about Zappa.

Zappa wouldn't be off topic for me, did a lot of work for them, hung out at the Intercontinental Absurdities studio a bunch and even went up to his house once....

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I, very briefly, ran the soundboard for The Grandmothers (Jimmy Carl Black and whoever he could assemble around him) in the late 80's for like 4 shows before I abandoned them and went back to Michigan to finish my degree. Only thing crazier was following the Butthole Surfers for half a tour.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Music and HiFi, although kind of interlinked, are now totally separate for me. Always there and as I cannot live without at least *some* music in my life every day (don't care what it's played through though), the 'HiFi' part only comes into play when reading on here (cough) and playing the gear I have, so no difference from summer or winter for me.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Music and HiFi, although kind of interlinked, are now totally separate for me. Always there and as I cannot live without at least *some* music in my life every day (don't care what it's played through though), the 'HiFi' part only comes into play when reading on here (cough) and playing the gear I have, so no difference from summer or winter for me.
I think it's fun to read about various solutions and tests but I do not buy anything nowadays. I'm happy with what I have .... at the moment ...;)

Lots of data/IT and HiFi nowadays. Around that I have a love hate relationship. I definitely see opportunities that have opened up, but if you are bad at data/IT (as I am) it will be a challenge.

Fun to read and learn about technology and acoustics. Also fun to read about other people's solutions and challenges. Plus I got a growing interest in sound and HiFi history. Tip, those of you who have the opportunity to visit a local sound/HiFi/ Radio museum do so.:)

Here you can search for museums:

Edit:
Speaking of data and the development of IT in relation to HiFi. Imagine a time travel back in time and show, for example, this thread for those interested in HiFi at the time. They had thought that it was aliens who were discussing. So much has happened:

...Fortunately..:)

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In hotter climates there's certainly a lot to be said class D amplification and avoiding class A. I mainly use Etymotic IEMs, they isolate fan and air-conditioning noise and in an apartment using headphones or IEMs avoids noise issues.

Top Bottom