• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is what I did to this ZK-MT21 safe?

SuperDerpBro

I got this a few months back and could never get it to work. Today I decided to give it another try. After examining pictures/videos of the board online and comparing to mine, I noticed this large bridge.

IMG_20221004_124526822.jpg

It isn't on ay of the pictures of the amp online so I (very poorly) removed it with my crappy soldering iron.

IMG_20221004_130256530.jpg

Was actually pretty hard because the board absorbed all the heat, heh. It seems to work, but i'm afriad of it now. More so than i normally am of cheap Chinese electronics. lol.

I'm using it for just the sub out... Is it ok?

Cheers :)

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hard to say you removed the sloppy solder mistake so you made it work so it’s better than before when it did not work.

But now you are using it :)

kiwifi

There's no track on the PCB between the two pads, so I would say that you correctly identified a solder bridge and fixed (removed) it. Good job!

wwenze

Major Contributor
51141da0ce395fe67e000005.jpg

Looks like the tip (V+) was shorted to... looks like one leg of the capacitor. Can't really tell what side it is, but from photos on internet looks like that side is the ground. That explains why it wouldn't work.

Was actually pretty hard because the board absorbed all the heat

With things like this I wouldn't even bother with the iron, just take a wire cutter, and a file if you want it to look good. Tin is very soft compared to steel.

Robski

I bought 'the other' 2.1 amp board from tee-hee-hee-bay.
DOA. Just blew 3A fuses spectacularly every time I connected it.
The seller said it was all fully tested and working prior to their dispatch from London and wouldn't do anything. Issue now with ebay to get my £20 back.
Difficult to see how they tested it inside packaging sealed in China.

Bought a ZK-MT21 in the meantime - works fine in my Carmody Isetta.

QA on any of these boards is lousy so your experience sounds not unlike mine.
They are so cheap you pays your money and takes your chance.
Just don't buy anything mains powered!

Top Bottom