• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is using a mini air blower for cleaning speakers a good idea?

dosifey

I have a lot of dust on my speakers, it is ecspecially a problem on AMT modules, as it is unsafe to clean them with a brush.

Is using a mini blower like this a good idea? https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0B7LMDQ3F

Or is it risky and may cause problems?

Thanks

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use rolls of tape to get dust off sensitive stuff. Any kind of wide tape from the dollar store. Great for ear pads on headphones too.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Seeing how fragile the foils are in my RAAL ribbons I would go near them with anything. Just blowing on them from my mouth would be enough to deform them

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Buy your girlfriend/wife the best set of makeup blush/brushes you can. Ask her to give you the ones from the set she doesn't want. Usually that is the really big ones and a few of the medium small. Don't cheap out, ask her what the best ones are and get that set. She will be super happy and you'll have brushes that don't scratch even highly polished perspex, get dust out of tiny corners and do zero damage.

They are SO soft and perfect for cleaning/dusting audio,especially things like fragile tweeter surrounds, domes etc.

Like these:
brush (1).jpg

brush (2).jpg

brush (3).jpg

Zoomer

And just in case you don't know how to clean your makeup blush/brushes:

OP
dosifey

dosifey

Omnes-Audio-AMT-50-1-3085.jpg

I would not use a brush on AMT, even if it is a make up brush. I think it is too dangerous for the foil. Tape will not work due to the shape of it.

If you think that blower is too powerful I could use it from a distance...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is there so much dust? No experience with those kinds of drivers, but have never cleaned a speaker either.

OP
dosifey

dosifey

Why is there so much dust? No experience with those kinds of drivers, but have never cleaned a speaker either.
There is not much dust. But it sets there over years. I can of course just leave it be, don't think it would affect the sound, but it just does not look nice.

Recluse-Animator

I understand the op as I don't like dust on my tweeters either.
OCD or not this isn't a validation of OCD. Most people have misconceptions about OCD.
If he would never dust off the AMT then in the end there would be so much dust that it degrades the sound.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
i'd just leave them alone.. ocd is a poor reason to destroy a speaker..
I would concur (FWIW).
Plus...
Yeah, I mean, dust is 100% natural, too! ;)

In all (well... in some) seriousness, I am not at all sure those 'diaphragms' are all that delicate. Are you?
I know people who do eye surgery (my unlucky wife's had... more than her share of them). I am thinking you're not in that league with those diaphragms -- although I really doubt the dust is doing any other damage than cosmetic.
If the environment's really dusty -- well, that's why loudspeakers used to have grilles or grillecloth in the good old days.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Buy your girlfriend/wife the best set of makeup blush/brushes you can. Ask her to give you the ones from the set she doesn't want. Usually that is the really big ones and a few of the medium small. Don't cheap out, ask her what the best ones are and get that set. She will be super happy and you'll have brushes that don't scratch even highly polished perspex, get dust out of tiny corners and do zero damage.

They are SO soft and perfect for cleaning/dusting audio,especially things like fragile tweeter surrounds, domes etc.

Like these:
View attachment 238917

View attachment 238918

View attachment 238919
I would ask you why, You possess such a large collection of makeup gear/kit???

But one look at your avatar hair has answered all my questions! :p

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have a whole bunch of nice, soft brushes for dusting dainty things...
Found 'em on the swap pile at the good ol' Harvard (MA) town dump, many years back (now), so I have no pangs of narcissistic guilt! ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
narcissistic guilt
Is there even such a thing? If in the spectrum of extreme personalities we have the narcissistic, sociopathic and the psychopathic all in the same related chapters how can one feel or think guilt unless it serves them in some beneficial way.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Is there even such a thing? If in the spectrum of extreme personalities we have the narcissistic, sociopathic and the psychopathic all in the same related chapters how can one feel or think guilt unless it serves them in some beneficial way.
Narcissists are incapable of feeling guilt; it's always someone else's fault.

Top Bottom