• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there Interest in a dedicated DIY Speaker subsection?

DaveFred

Hello everyone,

My name is David and I am a speakerbuilderaholic.

While there are a number of forums on the Internet for people with my affliction, most of them are cluttered up with old information and old ways of doing things.

Kimmo Saunisto has written VituixCAD, what has to be the best piece of XO/Speaker design software available to the average person.

It basically allows you to see the Spin-O-Ramma in the XO software as you design your speaker/crossover, it just requires that proper measurements be made that are pretty simple to do.

I was wondering if there was any interest in a sub DIY forum for speaker building, the proper use of VituixCAD and crossover design?

Kimmo looks like he is going to pack it in on Diyaudio with frustration over the simple view/method people take to speaker/crossover design despite the free tools he has provided for us.

Any interest?

Thank you,

David - London, Canada.

P.S. here is the speaker/XO I am working on with the 108 measurements I took with my automatic turntable for designing the XO.

20210221_213431_resized.jpgxo 11.pngxo iic.pngxo ii 3.pngxo ii 7.pngxo ii 9.pngxo ii2.pngamp soundcard artabox.jpgmeasure hor.jpgmeasure vert.jpgspeaker stand.jpg

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello everyone,

While there are a number of forums on the Internet for people with my affliction, most of them are cluttered up with old information and old ways of doing things.

Kimmo Saunisto has written VituixCAD, what has to be the best piece of XO/Speaker design software available to the average person.

It basically allows you to see the Spin-O-Ramma in the XO software as you design your speaker/crossover, it just requires that proper measurements be made that are pretty simple to do.

I was wondering if there was any interest in a sub DIY forum for speaker building, the proper use of VituixCAD and crossover design?

Kimmo looks like he is going to pack it in on Diyaudio with frustration over the simple view/method people take to speaker/crossover design despite the free tools he has provided for us.

Any interest?

Thank you,

David - London, Canada.

P.S. here is the speaker/XO I am working on with the 108 measurements I took with my automatic turntable for designing the XO.

View attachment 115734View attachment 115737View attachment 115738View attachment 115740View attachment 115741View attachment 115742View attachment 115743View attachment 115745View attachment 115746View attachment 115747View attachment 115748
You should go ahead and start some threads and see which ones generate interest. I for one would love some more introductory discussion of VituixCad and proper crossover design rather than poring over old forums with dead links or learning by doing through too much trial and error. With the current ASR Directiva speaker project I'd think some members here would be keen on learning more esp. with powerful tools.

Edgar

Forum Donor
I am new to this forum and I am thinking about building my own speakers.
I don't intend to design them myself. I like to build something which an expert designed, measured and listened to. And some or lots of good reviews won't hurt.

In the last months I looked at Danny Richie's speakers, especially the NX series.
This is his website: GR-Research - Home (gr-research.com)
It seems many people have lots of good things to say about his speakers.

Recently Danny published a couple of videos about speaker cables. To say it nice, I find those videos a little irritating. They don't help to feel confident about his knowledge. Especially for that reason but also in general I am interested in other tested speaker designs.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

Any interest?

Thank you,

David - London, Canada.

View attachment 115734View attachment 115737View attachment 115738View attachment 115740View attachment 115741View attachment 115742View attachment 115743View attachment 115745View attachment 115746View attachment 115747View attachment 115748

I have a good amount of experience with vcad. It is obviously the best design tool available for diy loudspeaker simulation.

valerianf

Every 15 years I decides that I am fed up with commercial speakers and starts tuning my last acquisition. This time it will be a 3 ways tower with dual bass drivers.
Crossover, midrange and tweeter will be new ones.
This time I will need to learn how doing simulation .

Draki

Hello everyone,

Any interest?

Thank you,

David - London, Canada.

Very nice measuring stand!

bunkbail

Forum Donor
Omg pls do so! I've been learning and doing simulations with different XO designs in VituixCAD and it is a lot of fun but I struggle to warp my head around the concept of baffle step loss and applying it in VituixCAD. Beginner friendly tutorials would be awesome!

Adam_M

I'd love to see it - It could almost be the spiritual successor to the old Madisound forum before it was overrun by bots in the mid 2000's if a critical mass ends up congregating here - this place seems to have a similar mentality. Those were definitely the days... with Dennis Murphy, Rick Craig, DDF to name a few names from ASR that I remember from back then and many, many other very smart and extremely skilled people talking theory and practice right as measurements for DIY speakers were becoming more and more accessible - made all the more so by Jeff Bagby's revolutionary excel spreadsheets which I still use to this day.

Wolf

I'd be game, but I'm not up on Vcad yet. I remember the old Mad-bored fondly.

Adam_M

I'd be game, but I'm not up on Vcad yet. I remember the old Mad-bored fondly.

I'm not up on it either. I use Jeff's spreadsheets, often followed by Xsim because it's easier to fuss with topologies that are awkward in PCD. Unibox and WinISD for box design. I'd be happy to learn to participate in the community, but there'd have to be a good reason for a full migratino from tools I know.

Wolf

Yep, Jeff's PCD/WBCD/RM, Bill Waslo's Xsim, and Unibox.

Jeff's tools are still very powerful, but I have had to use Xsim for specific circuits.

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
I am new to this forum and I am thinking about building my own speakers.
I don't intend to design them myself. I like to build something which an expert designed, measured and listened to. And some or lots of good reviews won't hurt.
This describes my interest as well!

Not looking into designing... I have lots of free time-destroying hobbies already, and not enough free time to scratch the surface on half of them, much less add a new one.

But, I've built a number of DIY flat pack kits and will probably build some more before things are done!

Edgar

Forum Donor
You mentioned Excel tables and software for the design.
Is there also anything about Open Baffle Speakers?
I am a newbie to this but the basics sound interesting to me.
And yes, I know, Danny has some controversial cable videos out there. But he seems to have a good reputation for speaker and crossover design.

Wolf

I wouldn't trust Danny's xovers with a 10' pole. He 'claims' to have awards and accolades from magazines and other sources, but I've heard some of his kitted work and I was not impressed. Woofer breakup needs to be suppressed in most cases, and it was not. The tweeter was a touch bright too, and the box was overly resonant.

hdspeakerman

I certainly would be interested. I have just learned a little in XSim. I have always struggled with Jeff's spreadsheets.

McFly

VituixCAD has been awesome for me, will never go back

hex168

You mentioned Excel tables and software for the design.
Is there also anything about Open Baffle Speakers?
I am a newbie to this but the basics sound interesting to me.
And yes, I know, Danny has some controversial cable videos out there. But he seems to have a good reputation for speaker and crossover design.
There are two major resources I am aware of for open baffle design. John Kreskovsky's site has been archived by David Ralph at:
https://www.speakerdesign.net/
http://musicanddesign.speakerdesign.net/index.html
The other is:
http://linkwitzlab.com/

Top Bottom