• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a RME ADI-2 DAC alternative?

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I will cut my question short. I have a RME ADI-2 DAC in my living room. I love it.

Now, I want to upgrade the Topping DX7s on my desk, which is used to connect a pair of active speakers and THX 789.

Is there any suggestion which can be better than or at least comparable to RME ADI-2 DAC? (because, normally I don't want to buy two pieces of the same devices.)

I will need to fulfill the following requirements:

1) Excellent audio performance (but no need to be the highest number)
2) Remote control
3) EQ function (preferably "loudness function" as well)
4) Both XLR and RCA output
5) USB and optical input
6) DSD support
7) 110/220 voltage support
8) good reliability

Of course, if RME will have a new model coming, I would definitely consider that too.

Willem

Major Contributor
I also have an ADI-2 in my main system. On my desk I only have my pc as a source so usb input is enough. Equalizer apo on the pc for equalization. I use an Odac but there are more modern options for around $100.

digititus

Different active speakers would be my suggestion ;);) Not sure what you hope to improve upon with changing the Topping as it already seems to do everything on your list (except 3).

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
I also have an ADI-2 in my main system. On my desk I only have my pc as a source so usb input is enough. Equalizer apo on the pc for equalization. I use an Odac but there are more modern options for around $100.

As I use mac, I just can't find a good software EQ solution. I was using eqMac2, but it kept introducing weird distortion. Too mac Equalizer Apo is for windows only... :(

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
Different active speakers would be my suggestion ;);) Not sure what you hope to improve upon with changing the Topping as it already seems to do everything on your list (except 3).

Good point. EQ is the main reason why I wanted to upgrade the DAC. As I use Mac, software EQ seems not an easy solution.

I actually bought a pair of JBL 705P, when it was on sale earlier, hoping to use them on my desk with speaker EQ function. But my wife confiscated them upon their arrival and paired them with the tv..... :confused:

Now there is no more cheap 705p. and i have no eq. I need a new solution of DAC. (or any pair of active speakers in the range of 1k or so that can do EQ?)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I use mac, I just can't find a good software EQ solution. I was using eqMac2, but it kept introducing weird distortion. Too mac Equalizer Apo is for windows only... :(
@digititus is right: why would you need EQ, except to correct your speakers? If so, get better active speakers.

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
@digititus @daftcombo I'm now using a pair of cheapo 305P on my desk.

upgrading the speakers would be good advice. any suggestion of active speakers, preferably in the range of 1k or so for a pair, that sounds good and can do built-in EQ (for room correction)?

digititus

@digititus @daftcombo I'm now using a pair of cheapo 305P on my desk.

upgrading the speakers would be good advice. any suggestion of active speakers, preferably in the range of 1k or so for a pair, that sounds good and can do built-in EQ (for room correction)?
Never used or heard them, but something like Neumann KH80 may be an option.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you tried the 705s you have?

Willem

Major Contributor
From what I understand your real challenge is an REW equivalent for the MAC. How about Carma from audionet?

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
Have you tried the 705s you have?

I actually like them. I did some room correction the built-in EQ function.

That's why I originally hope that with a DAC with eq can be useful for my desk setup.

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
I like them. Don't you?

I like them too. But it seems that they can be benefitted from some EQ / room correction.

Your suggestion of miniDSP nanoDIGI makes sense too :)

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
From what I understand your real challenge is an REW equivalent for the MAC. How about Carma from audionet?

REW also works on mac - that's what I am using. I can have some good results with it, even with my limited knowledge. :)

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know about DSD decoding, but the miniDSP Studio with DACs built in seems to cover everything else.

Also, FuzzMeasure is simpler than REW has the look and feel of a dedicated MacOS app. It is not free, however. REW also does more, albeit with a much lower number of allowed measurements per file.

Top Bottom