• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the chip shortage impacting passive speakers?

Ml2316

Just wondering how much digital hardware is used inside passive speakers and if that means the chip shortage is impacting the passive speaker market. I've noticed, for example, the pioneer bs22 has been out of stock literally everywhere for awhile now. I've also noticed other speakers perpetually out of stock so just wondering.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
No digital hardware in most passive loudspeakers AFAIK.
If it were there... how would it be powered? From the audio signal?

Is the "BS22" still even in production?

I would imaging we (i.e., you) are just seeing the usual "supply chain disruptions" of... you know... everything.

Zek

Major Contributor
Do you even know what passive speakers mean?
How can digital hardware be in passive speakers if they are not powered?

OP
M

Ml2316

Do you even know what passive speakers mean?
How can digital hardware be in passive speakers if they are not powered?
Not at all. All I know is they don't have their own power supply, but from my perspective nothing has power until it's connected to electricity. I admit full ignorance.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not at all. All I know is they don't have their own power supply, but from my perspective nothing has power until it's connected to electricity. I admit full ignorance.
A audio crossover in a speaker can be semi-large or small and can be as simple as a single capacitor or it can be a very sophisticated arrangement of capacitors and inductors (coils of wire) with resisters too. They are passive and do not require outside power from the wall power. They split the frequency range that you can hear as many ranges as the speaker has drivers. So a 2 way speaker has a 2 way crossover or a 3 way speaker has a 3 way crossover.
A smaller crossover that could fit into your hand.
speaker-crossover-750x400.jpg

Then there are large crossovers with lots of parts and bigger components.
teufel-definion-5-speaker-crossover-768x768.jpg

OP
M

Ml2316

A audio crossover in a speaker can be semi-large or small and can be as simple as a single capacitor or it can be a very sophisticated arrangement of capacitors and inductors (coils of wire) with resisters too. They are passive and do not require outside power from the wall power. They split the frequency range that you can hear as many ranges as the speaker has drivers. So a 2 way speaker has a 2 way crossover or a 3 way speaker has a 3 way crossover.
A smaller crossover that could fit into your hand.
speaker-crossover-750x400.jpg

Then there are large crossovers with lots of parts and bigger components.
teufel-definion-5-speaker-crossover-768x768.jpg
Interesting, thanks. So I guess the crossover comprises most or all of the electronics inside a passive speaker.

MCH

Major Contributor
I would imaging we (i.e., you) are just seeing the usual "supply chain disruptions" of... you know... everything.
Example, and for sure not the only one in a speaker: polyurethane coating

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting, thanks. So I guess the crossover comprises most or all of the electronics inside a passive speaker.
The electronics include the voice coils in the speaker drivers as well as the components making up the crossover. They all work together.
Here is a schematic for the most simple crossover using a single capacitor in a 2 way speaker.
simple-speaker-crossover-circuit-diagram.gif

Here is the next level of crossover sophistication using 2 components.
1648133078664.png

Then they get a little more sophisticated with 4 components.
ct-2-way-12db.gif

and then even more fancy.
HighFrequencyCrossover.gif

OP
M

Ml2316

The electronics include the voice coils in the speaker drivers as well as the components making up the crossover. They all work together.
Here is a schematic for the most simple crossover using a single capacitor in a 2 way speaker.
simple-speaker-crossover-circuit-diagram.gif

Here is the next level of crossover sophistication using 2 components.
View attachment 194919
Then they get a little more sophisticated with 4 components.
ct-2-way-12db.gif

and then even more fancy.
HighFrequencyCrossover.gif
I guess another question would be whether the 'chip shortage' is really just a shortage of materials required for chip manufacture, rather than a bottleneck entirely specific to the chip manufacture process. Probably, as other replies alluded to it's really about the lower level materials. And the lack of available manpower to mine and transport/ship them.

Awesome info by the way. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess another question would be whether the 'chip shortage' is really just a shortage of materials required for chip manufacture, rather than a bottleneck entirely specific to the chip manufacture process. Probably, as other replies alluded to it's really about the lower level materials. And the lack of available manpower to mine and transport/ship them.
I read that the fab facilities are backed up so the silicon wafers are in short supply, then there are manufacturing shortages and then things like video cards are being bought by miners. I don't know about the mining of the elements required for wafer production.

OP
M

Ml2316

No digital hardware in most passive loudspeakers AFAIK.
If it were there... how would it be powered? From the audio signal?

Is the "BS22" still even in production?
Yeah I was also kind of wondering if maybe it's unofficially discontinued. I emailed pioneer to ask but didn't get a reply.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Yeah I was also kind of wondering if maybe it's unofficially discontinued. I emailed pioneer to ask but didn't get a reply.
My guess is that it's (finally) been discontinued... but that is a guess.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Just wondering how much digital hardware is used inside passive speakers and if that means the chip shortage is impacting the passive speaker market. I've noticed, for example, the pioneer bs22 has been out of stock literally everywhere for awhile now. I've also noticed other speakers perpetually out of stock so just wondering.
Digital hardware inside passive speakers? Please 'splain.

egellings

Major Contributor
Nope. Semiconductor devices are not used inside passive speaker systems.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Supply for almost everything is a mess
- wood
- metal
- electronic components (both analog and digital)
- lubricants

And plastic parts cables relays mcb’s, network switches ? Just about everything. Large inductors for industrial use .
Profibuss contacts, Phoenix terminals. The list is endless .
Try to order some industrial plc with some io modules :( not going to well rigth now .

Top Bottom