• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is my distribution amplifier good enough?

jshelbyj

I have some cool looking rack mounted VU meters and spectral analyzers in my setup. Logitek super-vu and Leicozic EQ-A31 specifically.

Current setup goes:

DAC ->
Rolls DA134 ->
Pass through channel -> Amp
CH1/2/3/4 -> meters

Here is the schematic of the Rolls: https://rolls.com/doc/manuals/manual_DA134.pdf
1613071521661.png

1. Will running the audio signal through the passive channel effect the signal negatively and measurably? I don't care about the signal going to the effects.
  2. Is there any other available options (preferably with balanced inputs) and multiple balanced and SE outputs? Schitt Freya S looks good (but is discontinued). Topping pre90 only has one output (Could the balanced and SE outputs be used at the same time?)
Thanks in advanced.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you mean going in to J4 and out of J1 A or J1B (or the other way round, doesn't matter as they're connected together.)

If so, then there is no degradation, as the sockets are hard-wired together.

S.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
So you can plug a single stereo input into J1A, J1B or J4 and have a passive output out of one or both of the remaining jacks. But don't plug two different inputs in.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So you can plug a single stereo input into J1A, J1B or J4 and have a passive output out of one or both of the remaining jacks. But don't plug two different inputs in.
As these sockets are all connected directly together (there aren't even any passive components between them, just a straight bit of wire) there's nothing to degrade a signal so you can use them as you suggest.

S

OP
J

jshelbyj

Yes, the connections function like a "Y" adapter. My concern is:
  1. Does splitting the signal effect it? I know that in some cases splitting a signal with a "Y adapter CAN degrade the audio.
  2. Does having the "passive output channel" tied to the main circuit effect the signal?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the connections function like a "Y" adapter. My concern is:
  1. Does splitting the signal effect it? I know that in some cases splitting a signal with a "Y adapter CAN degrade the audio.
  2. Does having the "passive output channel" tied to the main circuit effect the signal?
No and no! A Y adapter can't degrade the audio, it's just a pair of plugs.

S

OP
J

jshelbyj

I'm sure you're right that it doesn't practically effect the audio quality since it is effectively just a "Y" connection. I guess what I'm asking is if introducing a 3rd device to the circuit effects the signal?

I guess that means I might not be giving enough information to answer this question.

I have a Topping E30 DAC feeding into an amazon special SMSL SA-36. I'm trying to building my system from the ground up starting with the sources before I upgrade amps and speakers.

OP
J

jshelbyj

Regarding this, I've found that the new topping d30pro dac has two outputs you can use at the same time. Another option is the NAD c298 that has an RCA output. Either option could be useful for this.

OP
J

jshelbyj

I ordered a Schitt Freya - in part because it has multiple outputs that I can send to my distribution amp.

It has one set balanced output and two set single ended outputs. The manual states they can all be used at once.

Can I use both outputs at the same time? Most of the time, yes. If you have products that short the input when turned off, then that can cause distortion.

Sadly Schitt only makes the plus model of the Freya, so I'm going to have to live with the tubes. On the upside, if I ever get a tube amp, I'll be able to have a fully tube - transistor free - setup.

Top Bottom