• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it worth upgrading from ER2SE to ER4SR?

2M2B

Hi all. I ended up buying the ER4SR and received it 5 days ago.

I did a level matching (added -2.7db of pre-gain when using the ER2SE) and compared them.
Subjectively, I felt that there was a slight difference.
I think the ER4SR is more suitable for listening to details. I was able to discover sounds that I had never noticed before.
However, when listening to female vocals, the ER2SE sounds a bit more pleasant to me.:)

I will keep both, but I still find ER2SE to be an amazing value.

I've had both before BA drivers just sound much better for overall detail & bass speed(diaphragm resting). Which can make DD headphones sound dirty & coloured when you switch back to them. I've seen quite a few on the ER4 thread at Head Fi got shocked the Ety has the detail power as many planar/electrostatic HP's.

Both headphones have a THD below 1%, which means that this distortion is inaudible.

Actually with higher end coupler mics the ER4SR rates <0.3% since a few doing tests with both at Head Fi noticed high 2nd order THD at 94db. Mean much of the published THD tests were from mics clipping not the ER4/ER2.

Last edited:

cistercian

Forum Donor
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to report my impressions of the ER2SE vs ER4SR. I like the 2se so much I bought a second pair.
I just got a ER4SR today. I hesitated to buy it but the low efficiency of the 2se was something I hoped to improve.
The 4sr is speced 2 db more sensitive @ 98db/200 mv. The certificate of performance that came with mine showed 103.9db @ 200mv @ 1kc.
Your going to laugh at this but I use these to listen to sferics on a portable amp. The 2se are epic for tweaks but were kind of quiet.
That problem is over! These are much more sensitive and the treble is much better too. I have to try them on the RME ADI2 DAC before
I can rule out impedance effects from my portable amp. As it sits now however...I am delighted with these. They are epic!
I prize clinically flat phone for testing audio gear and for critical listening too. They are especially useful for the type of listening I do with sferics.

Firing up the DAC now for a comparison....

cistercian

Forum Donor
Ok. That did not take long. I cannot stand the triple flange tips. I use the 2 flange super soft ones and they work well. The bass on the BA set is so much better I can't believe it. I wonder if the DD set is more sensitive to insertion depth than the BA set?
The ER4SR is perfect. Sublime actually. I find the ER2SE has poorer treble and the bass is not as controlled. I find IEM's invasive and the ETY's particularly so.
I have always used over the ear cans for music listening. I really like my Sennheiser HD600 and my AKG612 for neutral work.
The ER4SR is the only IEM I have ever listened to that make me want to use it for music. It is incredible.
Everyone has different ears so if you can't tell much difference between them consider yourself lucky and use the ER2SE.

For whatever reason...I find the difference stark. ER4SR all day for me...it's just...what I always wanted for reference work.

Sublime.

Top Bottom