• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it safe to connect Objective2+ODAC 3.5mm to powered speaker?

Kossamu

Hi, I have tried to connect my audioengine a5+ to my objective2+odac but the RCA-outputs just wont work. What I am waondering about is if it's completely safe for the active speakers if I would connect them directly to the amplified 3.5mm on the objective2+odac? Will I damage the speaker?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It is safe. Headphone-level and line-level are about the same voltage. The main difference is that a headphone output is capable of driving a lower impedance load (capable of more current) and a headphone output always has a volume control whereas sometimes a line-output does not.

OP
K

Kossamu

It is safe. Headphone-level and line-level are about the same voltage. The main difference is that a headphone output is capable of driving a lower impedance load (capable of more current) and a headphone output always has a volume control whereas sometimes a line-output does not.
Thank you very much. Although I didn't understand much of the answer, is there anything I should watch out for? Will I increase the current too much if I raise the volume on the objective2+odac knob?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Odd you didn't get anything from line level inputs.

OP
K

Kossamu

Odd you didn't get anything from line level inputs.
Yeah, well... I have absolutely no idea of what I am doing. As long as sound is being produced without breaking my equipment I feel safe...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, well... I have absolutely no idea of what I am doing. As long as sound is being produced without breaking my equipment I feel safe...
Try the headphone output, then.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did and it worked. Maybe the RCA was too weak? I had to raise the volume quite high before I got enough sound.
All's well that ends in music :)

Top Bottom