• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Genelec 8030c a better speaker than 8330a?

Pancreas

Its the best value and if all you are using is only 2 speakers, you can just do your own corrections.

The question is an actual better speaker?

I kinda wish I had SAM but I got my 8030c for $900 the pair fairly new which even less than the price of just one 8330a at $950

staticV3

Master Contributor
Ignoring features, the 8030c seems like the better speaker according to Amir's data.

It's got flatter on-axis response, wider and smoother directivity (e.g. ceiling bounce), and identical distortion and noise to the 8330a.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Ignoring features, the 8030c seems like the better speaker according to Amir's data.

It's got flatter on-axis response, wider and smoother directivity (e.g. ceiling bounce), and identical distortion and noise to the 8330a.

Some people say since is not digital is not good for audiophiles umm I don’t see why.

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My 8330A's (all 8 of them) doesn't show the problems with the midrange bump shown in the Amirs review, but maybe mine are newer with a software fix. 8330 reach a bit lower than 8030 and according to the Genelec website actually are more linear than 8030. I never heard 8030, but I can't see that they are that different in reality. SAM is great especially when doing surround or immersive instalation, room correction and/or with their SAM subwoofers - integration is great with precise phase match between them. For straight stereo with no sub I wouldn't bother changing

Last edited:

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd bet any difference between the speakers themselves would pale in comparison to result of GLM calibration, especially when SAM subs are used.

From this point of view the discussion about audible differences is just bike shedding: in the main use case the added functionality of GLM calibration it's just so useful that when not dealing with limited budget the choice is simple. Same thing with expensive SAM subs compared to some 10-12" model. "Hey you can't get the same results with REW and minidsp, just put in some work. You could also get cheaper passive speakers and nice D-class amp blah blah"

...and the audio worker just shakes his head, orders SAM setup, calibrates with one click and goes to do some (paid) work.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Most of us are just average joes not making any money off music.

I aint paying $1900 for the 8330 that price is absurd

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Most of us are just average joes not making any money off music.

I aint paying $1900 for the 8330 that price is absurd

in reality it's only around $270 more per speaker and you get room correction, digital input, SAM speaker and subwoofer integration, ability to build surround and immersive system, ability to digitally control the volume (software, with their knob, or any MIDI device) so you can skip the monitor controller cost, overall it's actually very well priced upgrade. You can't compare second hand cheaper model with a new more expensive one, doesn't make much sense

Last edited:
OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

From my perspective it doesn’t make sense as I paid $900 for 3 months old speakers

I would have sell them and either buy used or new 8330a at $1900

Makes no sense

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Lmao i feel like a peasant for not having GLM but at the time i felt like a great deal and didn’t think id need that shit

sharock

Lmao i feel like a peasant for not having GLM but at the time i felt like a great deal and didn’t think id need that shit

Not sure what your setup is but you can get a miniDSP DDRC-24 relatively cheaply to access Dirac Live room correction.

I use it with my 8030c and 2 subwoofers at my computer desk.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Not sure what your setup is but you can get a miniDSP DDRC-24 relatively cheaply to access Dirac Live room correction.

I use it with my 8030c and 2 subwoofers at my computer desk.

what about sonarworks sound id?

I use my genelec with an audio interface for computer, gaming consoles, etc

So basically i would benefit the most a software that works with the computer like Dirac live room correction for computer

auricom

8330a also "limits" you to expensive Genelec SAM subwoofers (instead of some other brand), if you want to keep GLM calibration, which is the reason to get 8330a instead of 8030c. That was one of the biggest reasons I didn't want Genelec SAM/Neumann DSP models, and got one 8030c for less than 400€, almost new. Still trying to find other one.
After comparing it (1vs1) to my old Adam A8X there was no contest, Genelec was miles ahead in every area. Pretty disappointing, as Adam's normal price was 1.5x that of Genelec.

I'm planning to get two subs, so the price difference of 8030c+subs vs 8330a+SAM subs is very big. Also, 8330a wasn't even my consideration, because Neumann KH 120 II new here is not much more than used 8330a, and it is better. If I was going to put in big moneys, to make it more simple, I would just wait till next year and get Neumann KH 310 DSP + MA1 (expected to release next year), it will be awesome, but what is the price? 4500€ minimum I think. KH 120 II + 1 KH 750 + MA1 is also not bad option. Or KEF LS60 Wireless (4500€ used, seen many). KH 120 A is of course good competitor for 8030c, if you can find it used. Probably a bit better, but worse features.

Last edited:
Top Bottom