• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is 14 AWG good enough for speaker cable?

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If only USA would fully adopt the SI units, then us lowly non Americans can understand your measurements, sizes ...
I think that we should all revert to Roman Numerals... eliminating any subsequent systems and math "discoveries". It would be much harder, I think, for the planet to be its' current state. Just my II cents.

Waxx

Major Contributor
I think that we should all revert to Roman Numerals... eliminating any subsequent systems and math "discoveries". It would be much harder, I think, for the planet to be its' current state. Just my II cents.
But then you will have to learn Latin i guess... Errare humanum est. Perseverare diabolicum (dixit Seneca).

But the metric system, an 18th century French invention btw, is logic, scientific and predictable. It's based on the Indian/arab invented decimal nummeric system (invented at the 1st century AD in India and perfect by arabs in the 9th century) that we all use now as standard. But the UK did not want to follow and thought their old system was better, and the US followed the UK...

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
. . . . But the UK did not want to follow and thought their old system was better (?), and the US followed the UK...
But even the UK has now bitten the bullet, indeed it is illegal to sell anything measured on the old system alone. You can buy a kilogram of apples and they can include the pound for pound value also.
The US, not only followed the UK, but distorted it too! Things like US gallon, AWG etc. and still keep to it at 21st century :facepalm:.
Of course, behind the scenes, at scientific circles, the SI units are fully embraced, they no longer have an option.

Nice point about the Indian Arab history.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But even the UK has now bitten the bullet, indeed it is illegal to sell anything measured on the old system alone. You can buy a kilogram of apples and they can include the pound for pound value also.
The US, not only followed the UK, but distorted it too! Things like US gallon, AWG etc. and still keep to it at 21st century :facepalm:.
Of course, behind the scenes, at scientific circles, the SI units are fully embraced, they no longer have an option.

Nice point about the Indian Arab history.
Scientists and engineers here have used SI as long as I can remember. But no one pays attention to us boffins.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At your age, you should remember that, if you don't ..... I am sorry! it is settling much too soon. They say carrots help, but can't remember for what . . . .
The mind is the second thing to go, they say.

egellings

Major Contributor
Sure, 14AWG is definitely more than enough
Again, it's easy enough to experiment, since the types of wire involved are inexpensive. Try the different alternatives and see for yourself if you can hear a difference. If you can, then use the most appealing one.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about a quarter pounder with cheese at McDonalds?

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought Le Royale with Cheese was only in France?
True, they speak French, so can't say quarter pounder (just too many R's).
In UK, its brand name and not a measurement value.
We still use Miles too. We are just too cheap to change all road signs, hence put up with it.
Funnily enough, MPG is still quoted.
Go figure.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just for our reference, even though I am sorry for getting a little bit out of the OP's scope.

In Japan, we use "sq" (square) unit in JIS (Japan Industry Standard); "sq" almost corresponds to section area of the conductive wire in square mm (mm^2).
WS00005450.JPG

In my DSP-based time-aligned multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier audio project, I need many (rather long in my case) SP cables which should be well color-coded. And I do not like spending much money for SP cables and their terminal treatments.

Consequently, my preference is industry-use flexible "Vinyl Cabtyre Cables" of 3.5 sq (5.24 Ohm/km) 8-core or 6-core as well as 5.5 sq (3.37 Ohm/km) 4 core together with really cheap tin-plated pure copper Y-lugs, R-lugs.
WS00005451.JPG

WS00005453.JPG

For details, please refer to here and here on my project thread;
- VCT (vinyl Cabtyre) multicore flexible cables (AWG10, AWG12) for amplifiers into speaker drivers: #028, #137

These posts would be also of our important reference, I believe;
- Elimination of magnetic susceptible metals in SP signal handling: #250, #013(remote thread)
(Closely relating to the hot topic on this thread and this thread.)

Last edited:

Waxx

Major Contributor
I thought Le Royale with Cheese was only in France?
In french it's different; "Un royale avec fromage".

And we in the continental Europe don't use pounds or other medieval systems like in the UK or US, we use the scientific metric system, so a quarter pound means nothing here in continental Europe. And 113gr (the metric equivalent of a quarter pound) is a bit an odd number to say in french: "cent-treize gram" ;)

Toltek

And 113gr (the metric equivalent of a quarter pound) is a bit an odd number to say in french: "cent-treize gram" ;)
I see now, you do use metric system in France. If you didn't, it would be "quatre-vingt-trente-trois" :)

Waxx

Major Contributor
I see now, you do use metric system in France. If you didn't, it would be "quatre-vingt-trente-trois" :)
I live in Wallonia, the french speaking part of Belgium, but in France they also use the metric system, and no, french use sometimes unlogic number names, but not that way.

Btw, here in Wallonia they don't even do the quatre-vingt-dix, we say nonante and septante in place of soixante-dix. Only french themselves (and not even all) do that. We Wallonians, the Swiss that speak french, and most of the northern french dialects don't do that. The language is already complicated enough without that.

Top Bottom