• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opinion on cable management

Pancreas

I got this cable management box off ebay used, it came with a cover to close it but it won't close with the Surgex, so just left it like that also for airflow

The surge protector being enclosed in a box may not be good either way, the cable handing down is my guitar cable

Maybe if I had the 2 outlet standalone, I could use a power strip inside the surge protector to close the box, then plug that into the 2 outlet standalone at floor

Another option is mounting the surgex to the wall under the cable management box, but I think it will look worse with the cables going up

either this is more than good enough for me, you cant see anything when standing or sitting

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-07 at 20.23.13_09f97aa3.jpg

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a very tall surge protector. I expect most "cable management" solutions wouldn't fit it.

My old office used mesh baskets from Humanscale. Neattech or something like that is the name.

I liked them enough that I bought one each for my and my wife's sit-stand desks. But they won't fit your surge protector - I think the dimensions are 4"x4"x40" or something like that. I think it works well, even with way too much crap plugged into the desk,.

My desk also came with a snake to conceal wires going up the leg. It's not the prettiest thing in the world but it's certainly nicer looking than multiple power cords (I have two electrical lines going up - one on a UPS and on just on surge, plus network and audio cabling).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Some L brackets under the front edge of the wood shelf to hold either a mesh or 1/4 inch luan covered in some cloth would cover things, allow ventilation and be out of the way. You could get brackets angled backward at 45 degrees and slope toward the wall. Paint the luan black or use something like black chloroplast and cover it in knit, or velvet or some such.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Some L brackets under the front edge of the wood shelf to hold either a mesh or 1/4 inch luan covered in some cloth would cover things, allow ventilation and be out of the way. You could get brackets angled backward at 45 degrees and slope toward the wall. Paint the luan black or use something like black chloroplast and cover it in knit, or velvet or some such.

If I position the Surgex standalone where the outlet are facing up rarher than facing me, the door barely closes by using a little force, but then the power cable cords are bent a little. Also the enclosure would be so tight, may not be good for the surge protector.

If I ever want to disconnect a cable would be a pain

I have hard time visualizing your advice tho lol the only time I see these cables if I’m laying on bed or I bend over to look.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If I position the Surgex standalone where the outlet are facing up rarher than facing me, the door barely closes by using a little force, but then the power cable cords are bent a little. Also the enclosure would be so tight, may not be good for the surge protector.

If I ever want to disconnect a cable would be a pain

I have hard time visualizing your advice tho lol the only time I see these cables if I’m laying on bed or I bend over to look.
I'm thinking leave the door open as shown in the photo. Maybe I lack depth perception in the photo, but attach some false partition simply to block anyone seeing what is under the shelf. That partition would be below the wood shelf just back of the edge. So you would never see what is shown in the photo. For instance if you made a short cloth curtain below the wood shelf it obscures the ugly looking cables, but you simply move it aside if you need access to plug or unplug something.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I looked at your photo wrong. Is this like a desktop setup? So hanging something just under the front edge will not work. I took it you wanted a better appearance. Also maybe not needed for appearance. So if it isn't visible don't worry about it. There are other sized strips that might be made to work, but knowing the depth of the box would help with that.

Top Bottom