• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iPad Pro source with McIntosh DAC

rcdsystems

Hello fellow audiophiles, first post here. I'm currently using an Apple iPad Pro (3rd gen) to play Apple Music Lossless via the USB audio output, connected to a McIntosh MA5300 integrated amp. The McIntosh has a DA1 DAC module built-in where I'm using the USB audio input. On the iPad, the sound output is variable, so I can change the volume there and also on the integrated amp. Is there an optimal output level I should use on the iPad? I normally just max that out and then control it from the McIntosh, but I'm wondering if keeping the source too loud would cause more distortion, etc. Thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'm wondering if keeping the source too loud would cause more distortion, etc. Thanks!
Unless you're using EQ, increasing the volume to 100% on your iPad will not cause more distortion in the digital audio stream.
In fact, setting volume to <100% will reduce the dynamic range of your music.
Whether the DA1 DAC module can handle input signals at or close to -0.0dBFS is another story though.

Last edited:
OP
R

rcdsystems

Cool, I usually keep the volume at 100% on the iPad and haven't noticed any problems so far. Thanks for the answer!

toxotis70

I am doing the same thing, but i cant find a way to control ipad from a distance… how do you do that?

OP
R

rcdsystems

@toxotis70 Unfortunately Apple Music does not support any time of remote device, so I either pick a playlist and let it play for a while or tell Siri to play something. If the music is loud, Siri seems to have trouble understanding me.

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
Interesting - I have an iPad Pro and connect directly to my RME ADI-2 DAC via lightning to USB. When I do that I have no volume control on my iPad (it’s disabled). I wonder why you retain iPad volume control with your Mac DAC….. no doubt a driver/handshake thingy……

staticV3

Master Contributor
Interesting - I have an iPad Pro and connect directly to my RME ADI-2 DAC via lightning to USB. When I do that I have no volume control on my iPad (it’s disabled). I wonder why you retain iPad volume control with your Mac DAC….. no doubt a driver/handshake thingy……
That's because iOS does not have any kind of software volume control. The only way to retain volume control on your iPad with a USB DAC plugged in is if your DAC supports hardware volume control via UAC2 commands.

Top Bottom