• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC recommendation for iPad (USB-C) for hi-res Apple Music

SamS

Hi all,

I'm not completely new to the DAC world, but I would appreciate some guidance. I currently use an M1 iPad Pro to my OPPO HA-1 DAC/Headphone amp.

I'd like to consider a different, higher-performing DAC, that primarily outputs XLR to my Marantz AV8805. I might also send the output back to the HA-1 via analog/single-ended.

Budget is ~$500. Would certainly prefer less, but could go higher. I really don't want to pay for features I won't use, and the iPad will be the only source required. Smaller footprint would be better. Thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @SamS! Welcome to ASR.

The smallest DAC with differential Line out that I know is the $150 Khadas Tone2.

Since it uses a customized RCA connector to offer both single-ended and balanced output in one, you would not be able to connect it to the Marantz and your HA-1 simultaneously.
You'd have to switch the cables around each time.

A compact DAC with separate Bal and SE outputs would be the SMSL D-6 or Topping E50. They've both been tested here.

Here they are side-by-side:

Before you ask: both TRS and Khadas' "Balanced RCA" are functionally identical to XLR jacks. They're just more compact.

OP
S

SamS

Hi @SamS! Welcome to ASR.

The smallest DAC with differential Line out that I know is the $150 Khadas Tone2.

Since it uses a customized RCA connector to offer both single-ended and balanced output in one, you would not be able to connect it to the Marantz and your HA-1 simultaneously.
You'd have to switch the cables around each time.

A compact DAC with separate Bal and SE outputs would be the SMSL D-6 or Topping E50. They've both been tested here.

Here they are side-by-side:

Before you ask: both TRS and Khadas' "Balanced RCA" are functionally identical to XLR jacks. They're just more compact.
Very good, thanks.

The E50 looks like just the ticket. I notice on Amazon there is a "mini" and a "full" version listed, both at $199. Difference?

I have a wide range of USB-A power adapters here. Apple 5W or 12W preferred?

staticV3

Master Contributor
The E50 looks like just the ticket. I notice on Amazon there is a "mini" and a "full" version listed, both at $199. Difference?
That's the first time I've heard of different versions of the E50.

The Mini probably just describes the E50's form factor (it's a Mini DAC), instead of denoting a special version.

I have a wide range of USB-A power adapters here. Apple 5W or 12W preferred?
I'm not sure how much current the E50 actually draws. You could use a USB power meter to check that if you'd like.

Otherwise, I'd use the 12W charger to be on the safe side.

OP
S

SamS

@staticV3 based on your mention of the SMSL D-6, D-6s could be the right features/price for me.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Are the Marantz inputs converted to digital? You might be better off just plugging the iPad directly into the Marantz if that is the case.

OP
S

SamS

Are the Marantz inputs converted to digital? You might be better off just plugging the iPad directly into the Marantz if that is the case.
Based on my studying of the 8805A block diagram, only the 7.1 inputs bypass A/D. I am using XLR due to the 25ft distance between DAC and Marantz. I find the A/D to be transparent, although obviously it would be better to avoid.

There would be no way to directly send lossless digital out of the iPad to the Marantz, and it keep the iPad charged, and keep it 20+ feet away.

Top Bottom