• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IOTAVX SA3 Integrated Amplifier

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
Just an assumption, but we're probably getting close to seeing the IOTAVX SA3 review within the next two week. :oops:

Rifmon

Forum Donor
I hope so. Have WAY too much time on my hands these day. I cleaned the house, read through a bizillion audio reviews, gonna build a model... haha. Oh, and I come back to see if the Iotavz review was posted....... I appreciate Amir's knowledge and the loan of your Iota and I bet you're looking forward to not only the measurements, but getting it into your system!

PaiZe

From the manual it appears that the sub-out has a low-pass filter but no indication of what frequency it is or whether it is adjustable. Any ideas on this?

I am also wondering what frequencies do the tone controls affect.
I listen to some old record transfers where a quick adjustment at around 8KHz would come in handy.
Unfortunately, I cannot find any info on the website or manual...
Does anybody have a clue on this?

Reactions: wje
OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
I am also wondering what frequencies do the tone controls affect.

I believe the "standards". 100 Hz for the bass and 10,000 kHz for the treble. There are only a few brands that I've encountered that vary from these, but it seems 95% of the manufacturers follow those frequencies for adjustments.

Last edited:

SunnyRehde

Forum Donor
I believe the "standards". 10 Hz for the bass and 10 kHz for the treble. There are only a few brands that I've encountered that vary from these, but it seems 95% of the manufacturers follow those frequencies for adjustments.

10 Hz? No way....

PaiZe

I believe the "standards". 100 Hz for the bass and 10,000 kHz for the treble. There are only a few brands that I've encountered that vary from these, but it seems 95% of the manufacturers follow those frequencies for adjustments.

Thanks for the reply, so far in the range <600€, I have noticed that Denon, NAD, Onkyo/Pioneer and Rotel do indeed go for 100/10,000Hz, Yamaha for 20/20,000Hz (turnover 400/3,500Hz) and Marantz for 50/15,000Hz.
I am currently undecided between the Denon PMA-600NE/800NE and the IotaVX, would include the Yamaha A-501, but the ability to quickly tone down treble at 8-10KHz in several recordings is a big plus for me.

Do you have other suggestions?
(looking to pair with the Triangle BR03, here in Europe it's 400€)

Last edited:
OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply, so far in the range <600€, I have noticed that Denon, NAD and Rotel do indeed go for 100/10,000KHz, Yamaha for 400/3,500KHz and Marantz for 50/15,000Hz.
I am currently undecided between the Denon PMA-600NE/800NE and the IotaVX, would include the Yamaha A-501, but the ability to quickly tone down treble at 8-10KHz in several recordings is a big plus for me.

Do you have other suggestions?
(looking to pair with the Triangle BR03, here in Europe it's 400€)

Thanks for posting the frequencies that the other brands use for their bass/treble adjustments. I did know there were some variations. I could send an email to Ian of IOTAVX and see if he'd share the frequencies that the device frequencies for bass/treble adjustment so we'd know for a fact, rather than just assuming like I've done.

But, in reality, I've strayed away from bass adjustments, treble adjustments and subwoofer pre-outs for a device. Implementing the MiniDSP 2x4 HD has resolved my issue with subwoofer integration and while I haven't used the MiniDSP for any frequency adjustments to my main, or speaker outputs, the option does exist for me. Best $205 I've spent on audio to date. I realize the MiniDSP might have some issues with the measurements, but my ears can't hear those shortcomings. It's just the device features and capabilities that makes it a win-win for me.

PaiZe

Thanks for posting the frequencies that the other brands use for their bass/treble adjustments. I did know there were some variations. I could send an email to Ian of IOTAVX and see if he'd share the frequencies that the device frequencies for bass/treble adjustment so we'd know for a fact, rather than just assuming like I've done.

But, in reality, I've strayed away from bass adjustments, treble adjustments and subwoofer pre-outs for a device. Implementing the MiniDSP 2x4 HD has resolved my issue with subwoofer integration and while I haven't used the MiniDSP for any frequency adjustments to my main, or speaker outputs, the option does exist for me. Best $205 I've spent on audio to date. I realize the MiniDSP might have some issues with the measurements, but my ears can't hear those shortcomings. It's just the device features and capabilities that makes it a win-win for me.

Updated with Onkyo/Pioneer, also 100-10,000Hz

The mini-DSP looks to be a possible solution to my needs as well. You are using it between the pre and power amp, correct?
If you would use just the Iotavx as an integrated amp, how would you use the Mini-DSP, it should be between the source and the integrated amp, does that make sense?
For me as well, one of the appeals of the IotaVX is the possible upgrade path of later on getting the PA3.

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
Updated with Onkyo/Pioneer, also 100-10,000Hz

The mini-DSP looks to be a possible solution to my needs as well. You are using it between the pre and power amp, correct?
If you would use just the Iotavx as an integrated amp, how would you use the Mini-DSP, it should be between the source and the integrated amp, does that make sense?
For me as well, one of the appeals of the IotaVX is the possible upgrade path of later on getting the PA3.

I use it between my preamplifier and amplifier. I also use 2 of the outputs on the MiniDSP to run lines to my 2 subwoofers. I wish IOTVX would have just pre-outs and pre-inputs too with jumpers like McIntosh and the older H/K receivers would offer. In this scenario, it would have allowed a means for incorporating the MiniDSP in that loop for it's functionality and connectivity. But, I'm sure prices and size/space limitations prevented this feature to be utilized. When I get the IOTAVX at my home, I'll only run it as a pre-amplfier and not mess with the internal amp or the addition of a separate IOTAVX amplifier. I did apply some potential "impressions" when the integrated amplifier was used with their external amplifier because one channel would run off the internal/integrated amplifier and the 2nd channel would run off the connected separate power amplifier. I'm not sure what the incorporation of that 2nd connection / cable would introduce into the picture - distortion? Sound degredation, etc.?

Rifmon

Forum Donor
Isn't that always the case with separates? I thought any degradation, or additional noise due to interconnects, would be offset by the separation of amplification from pre amplification. However, having said that, in this case, you're still not separating the pre amp from the amp in the SA3 unit itself. Theoretically that would be cancelling out the benefits of separates. Am I missing something?

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
Isn't that always the case with separates? I thought any degradation, or additional noise due to interconnects, would be offset by the separation of amplification from pre amplification. However, having said that, in this case, you're still not separating the pre amp from the amp in the SA3 unit itself. Theoretically that would be cancelling out the benefits of separates. Am I missing something?

Yes, that can be the case with other separates. But, my point with the SA3 is that one of your channels (either left or right) is powered by the internal amplifier in "bridged" mode, while the 2nd channel (either left or right) is powered by the separate amplifier. In that case, it's one channel that has the interconnects involved, and potentially, some change or loss, distortion, etc. of sound could be possible - just a theory. In the other situation where you have a preamplifier and a separate power amplifier, both channels are connected with a separate set of interconnects. Hopefully, this made what I was trying to explain when using the IOTAVX SA3 with a separate IOTAVX power amplifier a little clearer.

Rifmon

Forum Donor
I may be a little confused . I watched the very end of Tee Jay’s part one of the Iota Stack on how to connect. To me it appears that both the SA3 and the PA3 have the same interconnects and both will be in bridge mode. The only difference I see between the SA3 and the PA3 is that the SA3 has the pre amp section in the same enclosure which may allow some noise or performance disadvantage to the PA3.

It’s all the way towards the end of the video.

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
I may be a little confused . I watched the very end of Tee Jay’s part one of the Iota Stack on how to connect. To me it appears that both the SA3 and the PA3 have the same interconnects and both will be in bridge mode. The only difference I see between the SA3 and the PA3 is that the SA3 has the pre amp section in the same enclosure which may allow some noise or performance disadvantage to the PA3.

It’s all the way towards the end of the video.

I'll check out the end of the video in the morning. However, I did check out the manuals at the IOTAVX web site on the SA3 and PA3. Basically, all I could come up with is how to connect the SA3 to the PA3 when one desires to use the SA3 as a preamplifer. To me, that was kind of odd, because the way I read it, you wouldn't have any additional power, but you'd just use the SA3 for the preamp and the PA3 for the amplifier. An extra $400+ to add another device, with the same wattage.

Again, I'll check out Tee-Jay's video and present the question on connectivity in the YouTube thread for clarification.

SunnyRehde

Forum Donor
Afair, you can configure both amps (SA3 and PA3) to work as mono blocks. That will give you twice the power per channel. And these mono power amps will then share the preamp stage of the SA3.

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
Afair, you can configure both amps (SA3 and PA3) to work as mono blocks. That will give you twice the power per channel.

Correct, that is how I've understood it and in my responses above, have indicated that in doing so, you'd be running each amplifier in "bridged" mode. But, in doing so, you'd have to use on interconnect from one of the pre-out connectors on the SA3 to go to the PA3 to power that 2nd channel. This is why I brought up the question about such a connection could potentially cause an issue because both channels would't be configured in exactly the same manner, by having that one interconnect going between the SA3 --> PA3 to power the 2nd channel.

Rifmon

Forum Donor
I'll check out the end of the video in the morning. However, I did check out the manuals at the IOTAVX web site on the SA3 and PA3. Basically, all I could come up with is how to connect the SA3 to the PA3 when one desires to use the SA3 as a preamplifer. To me, that was kind of odd, because the way I read it, you wouldn't have any additional power, but you'd just use the SA3 for the preamp and the PA3 for the amplifier. An extra $400+ to add another device, with the same wattage.

Again, I'll check out Tee-Jay's video and present the question on connectivity in the YouTube thread for clarification.

You would have twice the power. One of the things mentioned by the You Tube reviewer (Zero Fidelity I think?) is that Iota does not explain how to link the two together very well. That’s why both Zero Fidelity and Tee-Jay spend time in their videos explaining how it’s to be done.

In adding the PA3 to the set up, you would be utilizing the SA3 as one of the power amps in bridged mode along with the PA3 in bridged mode. You will not be bypassing its amp rather you would be doubling its output. So instead of 45 watts into 8 ohms per channel you’ll be getting 100 watts per channel.

I’m looking forward to Amir’s review but it will only be part of the story for me since my plan has been to buy both the SA3 and the PA3. I’m thinking my 86 dB sensitive Ascends could use the extra wattage.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Correct, that is how I've understood it and in my responses above, have indicated that in doing so, you'd be running each amplifier in "bridged" mode. But, in doing so, you'd have to use on interconnect from one of the pre-out connectors on the SA3 to go to the PA3 to power that 2nd channel. This is why I brought up the question about such a connection could potentially cause an issue because both channels would't be configured in exactly the same manner, by having that one interconnect going between the SA3 --> PA3 to power the 2nd channel.
As long as you don't believe in cable sound you don't need to worry. It could even be that the external connection has lower reistance (cable) than the internal connection (thin and narrow PCB trace) - not that this would matter anyway.

SunnyRehde

Forum Donor
BTW, I've now been enjoying the chain RoonClient -> ToppingD50s -> JDS-Labs-Atom -> IOTAVX-PA3 for over a week and it's really fantastic in terms of bang-for-the-buck. I'm really curious to know if the PA3 will deliver in terms of measurements too.

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
BTW, I've now been enjoying the chain RoonClient -> ToppingD50s -> JDS-Labs-Atom -> IOTAVX-PA3 for over a week and it's really fantastic in terms of bang-for-the-buck. I'm really curious to know if the PA3 will deliver in terms of measurements too.

Send it to Amir so the test can occur. Coordinate with him a time-frame so he can perform the test. From previous indications, he has a 4-week backlog on reviews.

Top Bottom