• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Internet radio stations

Theta

I am new to this forum, so I don't know my way around, but I dont' see too much interest in quality internet radio. I found 2 stations that cater to my musical preferences: Americana to Indie and Neo prog-rock. Radio Paradise and JB Radio2. Both broadcast in FLAC yet one has clearly better sound, Is there an explanation? Distance perhaps? I am in Europe one station is in Canada the other in California. Any other radio station in this gender and quality?

GiBo61

I am new to this forum, so I don't know my way around, but I dont' see too much interest in quality internet radio. I found 2 stations that cater to my musical preferences: Americana to Indie and Neo prog-rock. Radio Paradise and JB Radio2. Both broadcast in FLAC yet one has clearly better sound, Is there an explanation? Distance perhaps? I am in Europe one station is in Canada the other in California. Any other radio station in this gender and quality?
The difference you hear cannot be due to the different distance of the radio stations.
For additional radio that broadcast il FLAC, have a look at this directory: https://www.hiresaudio.online/cd-quality-internet-radio/

Last edited:

coonmanx

Great music...

I used to use a dedicated internet radio player but these days you can usually just find the website and go from there. I usually don't have too many issues with sound quality, but I am also just listening using the computer speakers late at night.

coonmanx

BTW, I just tuned into JB Radio and it sounds pretty good. Bookmarked it. I also do listen to Radio Paradise sometimes. Is JB Radio the one that you think sounds better?

Tassin

First impression is that JB might stream a couple dB louder.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm not really getting any huge difference between RP and JB2. However, I like interacting with my streaming music sources and JB2 doesn't really have anything to offer. I'll probably stick with RP. YMMV

OP
T

Theta

BTW, I just tuned into JB Radio and it sounds pretty good. Bookmarked it. I also do listen to Radio Paradise sometimes. Is JB Radio the one that you think sounds better?
Yes clearly, what about you? What do you think is the technical reason, since they both use Flac?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
WMNF is my local community non-commercial station.

Pick the programming you like, it's quite varied. I think you can listen after the live showtimes, as well.

WMNF

JohnnyAudio

SOMAFM
43 channels

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In the USA most FM and AM have digital audio, similar to our over-the-air digital TV. The digital FM reportedly has CD sound quality, while digital AM bandwidth can be as high as 15 KHz (matching analog FM).

[opinion
The AM band in the US is full of trash talk radio though; it's highly unlikely to find anything of interest there other than sports.
[/end opinion

Top Bottom