• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Intergrated Amplifier for Q Acoustics 3050i

OP
M

Madao

I overlooked that. If you want to connect your PC you will need either the AS801 with its usb input, a computer/card with an optical output, or a cheap external USB DAC.
What use would you make of your computer as a source? I would prefer a Chromecast Audio as a streaming source, but it obviously depends on the use case.
Cables are not an issue. Just use very cheap cable - the rest is snake oil: 1 UK pound a metre is more than enough budget. For longer cables, use somewhat thicker gauge.

I'm pretty set in my ways with foobar and have a large library of FLACs. This is also how I watch all my TV shows and Films. I'm assuming Chromecast is for use with streaming services like Tidal, Spotify and so on? If so I don't use any of those services. I know I should probably get with the times.

Yes, you’re right, I only suggested that route in the case you didn’t want to spend on an usb dac or the module for the soundcard you mentioned earlier.

Might still have to for the time being. Not sure yet.

Appreciate all the help, advice and patience you've shown. Thank you.

Willem

Major Contributor
OK so the computer is important for you. The easiest option would be the AS801. The cheapest is to use the analogue output from your computer (i.e. use the DAC chip on the internal soundcard), and perhaps later add either an optical output to your computer or an external usb DAC This need not cost a fortune. Here in Holland a Behringer UCA 202 would cost about 25 euro and is pretty decent. But there are other and better alternatives, but not necessarily available on the UK market. But there will not be a serious reason to spend more than about 100 pounds to get the best quality usb DAC. After all, you would not even need volume control on the DAC.

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Add a basic DAC with volume control and you are spending at least as much as for the Yamaha, if not more.
The Yamaha also has useful features such as tone and balance control, or dynamic loudness.
I doubt it, the A800 is only 160£. You can add something like an Ultra-Curve or Ultra-Graph+DAC for "peanuts" too, or simply do everything with software on your computer (including volume control) and save money/space.
Or you could take a Crown XLS amp with the integrated DSP for 235£.

These speakers looks like they'd benefit from ample reserves of power, too.

Personally, I don't understand the point of buying complex integrated amps to use them as power amps without power.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
True. It would be a bit like the combination of a basic 150 euro Dac with volume control and the 2x250 watt Yamaha p2500s that I bought for my son. Input and features may well be decisive.

Willem

Major Contributor
Yes it was. I got that p2500 for 300 euros, so I was very happy to get it for junior. The bigger p3500s measured very well in a French test with an AP.

OP
M

Madao

I think I will stick with the original suggestion. I realize the power amp would work out cheaper, but there's a number of issues I have with using one including my own lack of experience. The S501 is clearly not the best option, but for the most part it is an all in one option. (or it will be once I get the backplate for my motherboard)

Ideally I would have went with the S801 and I actually just tried to get it on finance just now as I love the idea of just being able to use USB, but alas I was denied, there was a second option for finance, but I don't want too many credit checks in short succession on my file so I will leave it be.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I think I will stick with the original suggestion. I realize the power amp would work out cheaper, but there's a number of issues I have with using one including my own lack of experience. The S501 is clearly not the best option, but for the most part it is an all in one option. (or it will be once I get the backplate for my motherboard)

Ideally I would have went with the S801 and I actually just tried to get it on finance just now as I love the idea of just being able to use USB, but alas I was denied, there was a second option for finance, but I don't want too many credit checks in short succession on my file so I will leave it be.
The difference between a power and integrated amp should be nil in your situation: use of an external DAC with a stereo setup. The price difference should really be considered, especially since you don't seem to be swimming in money.
And you could get those really snazzy equalizers for 77£ (15 bands) or 111£ (31 bands) if you really want those knobs and can't be bothered to do it in software (strange, since I'm sure it's easy in foobar2k).
10543018.jpg

10752889.jpg

OP
M

Madao

Knowing me I'd blow my speakers especially with kids running around, and looking at the review here there's a audible hiss from the A800. I appreciate your input, and maybe I'm stupid not going for the power amp from a price performance ratio, but I have no interest in tinkering with all that stuff. The money saved is appealing, but the stress from using the gear above would outweigh the financial benefit.

OP
M

Madao

Beginning to wish I had taken the advice on the power amp now. It really seems like I have to have it turned to at least 1 o'clock before it's even at a listenable volume.

I don't have an spl meter to confirm my 'feelings' though so it's not very useful.

Willem

Major Contributor
Is this with the Yamaha AS501? Unless you have a ballroom for a living it should be fine with these efficient speakers. What input are you using? Analogue computer out into line in? In that case check if the volume on the computer is on max.

OP
M

Madao

Is this with the Yamaha AS501? Unless you have a ballroom for a living it should be fine with these efficient speakers. What input are you using? Analogue computer out into line in? In that case check if the volume on the computer is on max.

User error. It was on low power mode at the back. Switching it to high is 80dB at 10 o'clock, using the phone SPL meter not sure how accurate it is. My brother in the next room over said he could feel his desk shaking. They have a lot more bass than I thought, but it might be my small room.

I'm just using 3.5mm > RCA cable for now until I get that backplate from china. Could be another month or two and I was sick of waiting. Very happy with the speakers so far.

oriale

i want to ask Q3050i with amp cambridge CXA61 ? Pls advise...is the speaker performance can maximize ?

Overseas

Major Contributor
3050i are excellent speakers at very good price (I paid 450 euro for a pair) and won an EISA prize. They get along very well with Yamaha amps, but from experience not with Denon - at least not Pma 600ne (it is like scaling everything down quality and quantity). They fill big spaces no problem, talking about homes not commercial buildings.
As for Yamaha A S701, this is in the league of A S801 and Rn803d as ampification technology. There is an explanatory tear-down detailed description on this forum. However, no gizmos like BT, Usb and the likes.

Top Bottom