• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Floorstanding Speaker: Yamaha NS 777 vs Q Acoustics 3050i

Gensonic

Hello Everyone!

I'm very new to this forum and naive to this audio world. Therefore, please give my inferences and understanding a soft view.

Over the past one month, I have been exploring different floorstanding speakers to suit my living space (21x10 sqare ft) and the budget (under INR 80,000 i.e. $1000).

Studying the reviews at audio forums and YouTube, arrived to the two floorstanding speakers:

1. YAMAHA NS-777
2. Q ACOUSTICS 3050i

One of the reasons to opt these options is that I don't want to use a subwoofer in near time.

My usage is roughly 60:40 for movie and music.

Hope to get some expert opinions to conclude my purchase decision.

Thank you ☺️

OP
Gensonic

Gensonic

Thanks staticV3 for suggestions.

While eliminating the Yamaha option, a new (combo) model, Q Acoustics Concept 20 with a sub, is now on my interest for two reasons:

1. Accurate highs and mids, bit on brighter side, with more clarity than 3000 series.
2. Adding a sub will impart the low frequencies even down to 25/30 hz, beside it's seamless transition with the bookshelfs.

Finding them as an alternative to 3050i would make sense?

I hope my words are understandable.
Thanks,

b7676

A subcontinent of 1.5 BILLION people with no notable hifi industry, let alone message boards.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Integrating a subwoofer is not always easy.

Are you able to listen before purchase?

OP
Gensonic

Gensonic

Integrating a subwoofer is not always easy.

Are you able to listen before purchase?
Thanks Marks.

I partially understood your point. Did you mean by "not easy" is it's accurate placement in the space or it's frequency adjustment while pairing with bookshelfs.

For me, that's the biggest constraint. The suppliers say they don't have demo units.

My currents resources are through online platforms.

mglobe

Forum Donor
You might consider the Wharfedale Linton. Highly regarded, good test data, and in your price range. A traditional aesthetic which is quite different from the Q’s though.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Thanks Marks.

I partially understood your point. Did you mean by "not easy" is it's accurate placement in the space or it's frequency adjustment while pairing with bookshelfs.

For me, that's the biggest constraint. The suppliers say they don't have demo units.

My currents resources are through online platforms.

First of all, I'm assuming you don't have bass management in your electronics. In this case, you have to adjust the subwoofers low-pass filter to match the natural rolloff of the bookshelves, and this is tricky to do well, especially without measurements. On the other hand, if thunderous bass for movies is a key goal, then a subwoofer will give you that.

At a budget of US$1000 for speakers, I personally would stick with towers. Moving up in price in a given manufacturer's line usually does not provide much benefit until you're at a substantially higher level.

Here at ASR we prefer speakers that have had comprehensive measurements made. Here are the top recommendations based on measurements for passive speakers (towers and bookshelves in separate links) by price level:

However, what really matters is getting sound you like. If I were you, I would buy the 3050i's, with return priveleges if possible just in case they really don't sound good to you (unlikely). They have had several positive subjective reviews (which is how you zeroed on them). Many at ASR totally discount subjective reviews, but I do not, in the sense that a speaker that has had several strongly positive subjective reviews (from reviewers who hear a lot of speakers) is unlikely to be a bad buy, IMO.

OP
Gensonic

Gensonic

You might consider the Wharfedale Linton. Highly regarded, good test data, and in your price range. A traditional aesthetic which is quite different from the Q’s though.
Thanks @mglobe for the recommendation. I went through the details and its reviews. They'd be a fantastic choice for being a 3-way and full frequency coverage. But, it's disappointing the prices here is more than US$2500, possibly exaggerating custom duty.

However, while doing my research for the speakers, my attention was caught by some classic 80s or 90s speakers, still considered value in contemporary scenario. I don't remember those classic models, but will find and share.

OP
Gensonic

Gensonic

First of all, I'm assuming you don't have bass management in your electronics. In this case, you have to adjust the subwoofers low-pass filter to match the natural rolloff of the bookshelves, and this is tricky to do well, especially without measurements. On the other hand, if thunderous bass for movies is a key goal, then a subwoofer will give you that.
Thanks a lot @MarkS for making the understanding much convenient to me.

My requirement with bass is to get the feeling of low frequency tight thump of low intensities, but neither boomy nor punchy. Few of the subs for bookshelf combo, I'm considering, in parallel to the floorstanders, are Polk HTS 12 & BIC America PL200 II. One carries the low pass and the other, crossover knob. However, I don't get any experience, and so, need to learn for the frequency adjustment, before making any decision on that.

1705396516365.png

1705396537133.png

Here at ASR we prefer speakers that have had comprehensive measurements made. Here are the top recommendations based on measurements for passive speakers (towers and bookshelves in separate links) by price level:

Thanks for sharing this amazing info.

However, what really matters is getting sound you like. If I were you, I would buy the 3050i's, with return priveleges if possible just in case they really don't sound good to you (unlikely). They have had several positive subjective reviews (which is how you zeroed on them). Many at ASR totally discount subjective reviews, but I do not, in the sense that a speaker that has had several strongly positive subjective reviews (from reviewers who hear a lot of speakers) is unlikely to be a bad buy, IMO.

Surprisingly, the dealer, whom with I'm in touch, revealed the price of Q Acoustics Concept 40 at US$950, compared to 3050i at US$900. Again, the whole lot to study about C40, but I guess the difference too minor to utilize, if floorstander is concluded.

I request little light on this.

Thanks,

Top Bottom