• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interesting dynamic range post

fas42

Major Contributor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
He is saying that if dynamic range of classical music is too high, then he doesn't know how to set his volume level. That by bringing the peaks and lows closer together, the experience can be better. And he bought a plug-in to do that.

I can see his point and that is one of the reasons compression is used.

My view is different though. I like it when music goes from quiet to bang loud! :D It tells me that what I spent so much money on, does work better than a clock radio in that regard. :)

Still I get this point.

OP
fas42

fas42

Major Contributor
My view is different though. I like it when music goes from quiet to bang loud! :D It tells me that what I spent so much money on, does work better than a clock radio in that regard. :)
I agree! Except, if the real thing is triggering a reaction in one's ears then it's worth considering whether some method of adjusting the experience is warranted ...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
He is saying that if dynamic range of classical music is too high, then he doesn't know how to set his volume level. That by bringing the peaks and lows closer together, the experience can be better. And he bought a plug-in to do that.

Still I get this point.
I am with you amir, light frames shade.. The loud is rendered spectacular by the quite that preceded it.

Contrast is the mechanism to celebrate extrems .

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I like it when music goes from quiet to bang loud!

Try the Redwood Symphony - Rite of Spring - Stravinsky

Here's a performance, doubt it is the recording above - if you can't wait, crank it up and start at 11:00, as an example.

From CD, the whole disc shown:

upload_2016-10-9_19-31-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-9_19-28-41.png
    upload_2016-10-9_19-28-41.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 117
OP
fas42

fas42

Major Contributor

Speedskater

Major Contributor
At the FM classical music broadcast station, compression & limiting were always problems. We had Orban or CBS compressor/limiters, the limiting was required by FCC rules so we had to live with it. If we set the overall volume & compression low, we would get complaints from listeners with portable or car radios. If we raised the volume & compression we would get complaints from the serious listeners.

Nightlord

Largest issue with music production today is too much compression... but a night mode could be a good thing if you worry about disturbing sleeping family members or neighbors. But it should definitely be an option at the user end - not done for us by the music industry.

It would be a good thing if records/cd:s were labeled, though... things like 1812 with real cannons could be dangerous to your system if overplayed unaware, took me a few repetitions to dare myself up towards full subwoofer excursion level. :cool:

Nightlord

I remember being so scared of the Telarc 1812 with that warning that I never hardly played it! Did anyone really blow up their systems using that CD???

I would not recomment it on a pair of TAG/McLaren Audio F1 speakers, I know of a pair of those that was damaged due to a similarly difficult signal.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I remember being so scared of the Telarc 1812 with that warning that I never hardly played it! Did anyone really blow up their systems using that CD???
No but my wife was upstairs when I first played it and she came running down thinking that the boiler had exploded.

Last edited:

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Still I get this point.

How does he deal with going to the orchestra? Is there an app for that? You plug in your headphones to the iPhone and then turn on it's mic?

I simply built a system that can handle the DR without puking on itself.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
On WBF, a new thread with some thoughts worth considering on the matter ... http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...mpression-can-actually-be-good-for-our-health.

Software-based compressors are nothing new. They've been standard plugins for DAWs for donkey years.

This is old news.

The fact that the people at WBF are acting like it's some kind of discovery just shows, once again, how ignorant audiophiles are of pretty typical best practices or known standards in the recording and production industry.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Yeah, I did, in college, with some vintage 1970s Yamahas and a then-current Denon integrated amp.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That Telarc was nothing. When in college a friend down the hall had a terrible time getting up for early classes. He was so hard to awaken. He asked a couple people each morning to call and let the phone ring till he answered. That was not fully effective. So we helped him out. He had a couple of those big Pioneer HPM100 speakers. We tapped the ringer circuit in his phone and fed it to the receiver he had. We did pad it somewhat so as not to guarantee it blew up immediately. Man when we called him it woke him up and everyone about 3 rooms in each direction. The stereo store only replaced the speakers a couple times that year. I was impressed.

Top Bottom