• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

General question on dynamic range and music

Sokel

Master Contributor
What is the Dynamic Range Correction that MS xHE-AAC decoder uses?
I saw it in foobar's change log,never heard about it before.

beagleman

Major Contributor
This is sort of like that one Mobile Fidelity recording of Supertramp "Crime of the century" where literally ONE Sound on the original recording is lets say about 15-20 db louder than everything else captured on the recording.

The resultant final product MOFI made is overall very low in level, to keep that one loud sound intact.........
It DOES keep the original Dynamic range intact, but in the process, pretty much makes the entire recording almost painful to actually play back in any normal environment.

ampguy

It’s like early dire straights and Pink Floyd vs remasters. Enjoy both, originals for home, headphones, and the remasters for car or background music

dasdoing

Major Contributor
This is sort of like that one Mobile Fidelity recording of Supertramp "Crime of the century" where literally ONE Sound on the original recording is lets say about 15-20 db louder than everything else captured on the recording.

The resultant final product MOFI made is overall very low in level, to keep that one loud sound intact.........
It DOES keep the original Dynamic range intact, but in the process, pretty much makes the entire recording almost painful to actually play back in any normal environment.

yes, even these are compressed/limited

a totally uncompressed/unlimited (meaning no analog processing, too) recording would be way too quiet even on powerfull systems. real world peaks have a crazy dynamic range

mixsit

Forum Donor

I really hoped to hear this. The one version I found did have vocal and keys very back in the mix, and the rest of the band very forward. Different than described, but still a huge very nice -thank you, dynamic shift. :>) Looking a bit further as to the versions- I was surprised to see a good dozen or more -stretched from the release in 74' on -(only one called remaster) and.. the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (87' or 90' depending :>)
Now my music/recording by nature is curious- how the heck many of them came out of remixes (at least '1990 yes :>) vs 'remaster or what have you?
And... Thank you for taking me here.

Top Bottom