• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrating Subwoofers for genelec 8030c

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you get for instance Yamaha HS8S, there is a built-in high-pass and low-pass filter. So you can connect the sub to the DAC, and the mains to the sub, and you're done.

OP
T

theshade

i wasn't impressed with the 7050. i think the primary advantage of it was that it would do 5 channels of xlr out, and my pricing was much better than yours. also, the bass was very boomy and there weren't enough controls on it to do room correction. it has a fixed crossover of 85hz (high for an 80x0 larger than an 8020), and generally was unsatisfying. also, it's crazy huge and heavy.

the svs dsp controls are fantastic. the 3000 micro integrated much better but didn't have quite enough gain to be run at proportional line level as the 80x0s. a larger svs should integrate quite well. the kef micro might also work well.

Thanks. I thought that the genelec 7050 lacks extension compared to equivalent home theater subs. So it goes loud enough but cannot be easily integrated as it lacks equalization? What do you mean that the svs didnt have enough gain? I thought that svs subs are loud or is that because of for home theater vs studio? Do they have different gain structures. How did you connect the svs with the 8030c? Did you use minidsp?

OP
T

theshade

Hi
Welcome!
From Amir's review and usual Genelec speakers' performance and reputation, I can assume that the 8030C are excellent. I would think it wise, not to ask to play loud HT in a large room. I will from that point assume that you want to use them in a medium to small room.
I would suggest a pair of SVS Pro as subs. Period. Use your AVR to integrate them with the 8030C. I would suggest an AVR that supports Audyssey Xt32 with the $20 smartphone App. This combination represents IMO one of the better return on investment and audio quality you could have ...
Now if you want to spend more, the better combo would be a pair of Rythmik FM8, those are specially made to play from the low bass to the mid-bass > 300 Hz IIRC. This Rythmik FM 8 Discussion in ASR would give you some ideas, in particular post #4. Several people use these here.

Another thing to keep in mind is that integration of subs and mains are never easy or plug and play. Regardless of marketing or enthusiastic and/or satisfied users/audiophiles claims, it takes a lot of time. Abandon hopes of plug and play. Audyssey will take you very far but you will need to tinker, measure and tinker to reach the promised nirvana.

If you don't have these yet. Download the free and spectacular REW (make a contribution) and acquire a miniDSP UMik1. Learn REW and how to measure. The basics are learned rather rapidly but, for the rest, the curve is a bit steep. People here will guide you , or better read through ASR and continue to ask questions.

Peace!
Thanks. It seems like based on measurements the svs pb1000 pro are the most value for the money along with its internal parametric equalization. If I dont use an avr how can I integrate it using an audio interface? Do you know something about the gain strcutures of for studio or for home? This is also stated in the g vs 8000 series differences but I dont understand it. Yup I have done equalization before using a behringr feedback destroyer and radioshack spl meter. Way time consuming and it had detailed instructions. Result was great though as I removed the peaks and there is no hz that I could here rattles or vibrations in the room. If I exhaust all other studio sub options then I guess it is time for me to learn about minidsp and use it as a crossover and equalizer. If I use the crossover features of the minidsp how may subs can I equalize?

OP
T

theshade

I'm currently running my 8030Cs with a MOTU M4 and an old Emotive Ultra10 sub. The M4 has dual outputs (one XLR, one RCA, effectively a splitter) so I'm running the XLR to my 8030Cs and the RCA to the sub. I used the bass roll off dip switches on the Genelecs to cut off the low end a bit and fiddled with the crossover settings on the sub using REW RTA. It's working find for all intents and purposes.

That said, I ordered a B Stock JBL LSR310S last week to use instead. It'll be simpler and cleaner using the sub to crossover itself and the Genelecs. This is in my 12x13' office so SPL should be fine. I'll report back when its setup.

Oh and I use DiracLive on the my computer for room correction. It doesn't do anything with crossovers, it just corrects the L+sub and R+sub.

Thanks. Can you tell me about the lsr310s when it arrives? I am leaning towards this or the krk or adam subs if I dont go for minidsp.

OP
T

theshade

If you get for instance Yamaha HS8S, there is a built-in high-pass and low-pass filter. So you can connect the sub to the DAC, and the mains to the sub, and you're done.

Thanks. I thought all studio subs like the jbl lsr310s, krk 10, and the adam t10s come with high pass filters. I looked at this but the yamaha is spec'd -10db and I find it hard to believe that an 8 driver goes lower unless the enclosure is humongous and the amp power is way high.

txbdan

Hey all,

I got my JBL LSR310S today. I got a B stock unit off Harman.com but as far as I can tell its brand new. It's bigger than I expected it to be. Much larger than my old Emotiva Ultra10.

I'm a little confused by the gain staging of this thing. I'm using a MOTU M4 interface, this sub, and Genelec 8030Cs. The M4's balanced outputs go up to 16dBu. So surely, I want the +4dBu input sensitivity selected on the subwoofer, not the -10dBv. However, with this setting I need a lot more volume knob on the M4 for the same level as before with no sub. Around 12 noon on the volume knob is about as loud as around 8oclock used to be. I'm used to the old way, but this makes better use of the volume range of the M4 so I guess the sub's input gain is proper and the Genelec's is very sensitive?

I have the Genelec's at the least sensitive settings, so maybe now I'll set it to 0. And then I'll use REW to dial in the subwoofer level.

Interesting.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a little confused by the gain staging of this thing. I'm using a MOTU M4 interface, this sub, and Genelec 8030Cs. The M4's balanced outputs go up to 16dBu. So surely, I want the +4dBu input sensitivity selected on the subwoofer, not the -10dBv. However, with this setting I need a lot more volume knob on the M4 for the same level. Around 12 noon on the volume knob is about as loud as around 8oclock used to be. I'm used to the old way, but this makes better use of the volume range of the M4 so I guess the sub's input gain is proper and the Genelec's is very sensitive?

I have the Genelec's at the least sensitive settings, so maybe now I'll set it to 0. And then I'll use REW to dial in the subwoofer level.

Genelecs are -6dBu to +6. -6 is the most sensitive level. -10dBV is about -7.78dBu. Lowering the monitor sensitivity is generally a good thing as a high quality DAC like the M4 should introduce less noise than any monitor amplifier.

txbdan

Genelecs are -6dBu to +6. -6 is the most sensitive level. -10dBV is about -7.78dBu. Lowering the monitor sensitivity is generally a good thing as a high quality DAC like the M4 should introduce less noise than any monitor amplifier.

That's a good point, I guess no need to lower the Genelec sensitivity when I can just use more M4 knob. heh. The questions mark is what the XLR output gain/level is on the JBL. Clearly the sub is doing something with the signal and lowering the level quite a bit. Hopefully its not screwing up my sweet M4 output quality. :p

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks. I thought that the genelec 7050 lacks extension compared to equivalent home theater subs. So it goes loud enough but cannot be easily integrated as it lacks equalization? What do you mean that the svs didnt have enough gain? I thought that svs subs are loud or is that because of for home theater vs studio? Do they have different gain structures. How did you connect the svs with the 8030c? Did you use minidsp?
yah, the 7050 fared poorly in my room. i did a lot of tweaking in rew but just couldnt get flat response down to 20hz. and then i would walk out of the room and bam boomy bass coming from inside the room.

i connected the svs to my system in two ways. i connected it to the rcas on my preamp to the svs. in this configuration i was pushing 0db on the svs and above the desk it was under i was not getting enough amplitude to flatten everything out. about 20db more gain on the svs amp and it would havd been beautiful, but alas.

the other thing i tried was to feed it at 2v while the monitors were driven by the preamp. i got plenty of amplitude this way, but my volume control no longer controlled both my sub and monitors, not to mention rew filters were all screwed up. i could tune this setup for ridiculously flat response from 20 to 20 for any given volume level at a time, but since i was adjusting the sub and monitor volume separately, you change one thing and it all goes to pot.

in the end i just gave up and got 8040s for the slightly better lower extension and gave up on lower than a 45hz falloff. if i have a better room after i move i can probably push that down to 30hz or lower with port to wall distance.

i should also note that the 8030c couldnt extend further than s very difficult room mode at 60hz. i have gotten the 8040s much lower

Top Bottom