• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated amps with internal USB-DAC that require a driver?

So I am looking for an integrated amp and most seem to come with built in DAC's these days. Many fewer have a USB input for the DAC, which I need for my Pi output. And of that small list, most of them seem to need some sort of Mac or PC driver installation to use the USB connection. What is that all about?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
USB always needs a driver. Most DACs and USB soundcards, etc., are Class Compliant which means they are standardized and plug-and-play with the drivers supplied with Window, OS X, and Linux. But the hardware manufacturer has the option building something that's not standardized and then you need a proprietary driver for your particular operating system. I would assume that most amp & AVR manufacturers are going to buy a chip with class compliance built-in.

I'm not a Raspberry Pi expert but I think they run a flavor of Linux and they can work with class compliant devices.

OP
O
Thanks for your reply. The current setup is the Pi with Moode sending USB into a Topping D50s, which Moode identified. I think I have some sort of Topping driver on my PC, I don't think I have ever used it. When I was using the laptop for music, stuff just went out over the router's wifi to a Chromecast audio attached to the Topping optical input. As you say it all seemed standardized. Which is why I am confused by the amps with built in DAC's saying they need a driver. Will my Pi and or Moode recognize them?

Top Bottom