• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated amp upgrade from Technics 1500c

CrustyToad

Forum Donor
Indeed. Just wanted to address the suggestion of Rega amps from oceanize

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Technics 1500c is from their tt line afaict or is it one of their integrated amps (which I don't see)? It's just a phono stage that's a concern?

OP
G

GearNostalgia

If you can live with industrial modern design......another one you might look at is the Schitt Ragnarok (fully loaded). It doesn't have the power of the Yamahas (Schitt = 60/100) but it has a phono section based on the Mani and comes in at $1,700. I haven't heard it, so I can't directly vouch for it but Schitt publishes test reports for it under the spec tab/section of their web page and it was received pretty favorably by the subjective reviewer crowd (FWTW).
Thank you for that suggestion, but that brand does not seem to be available in my country. So for practical support and such it is off the table for me.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The phono stage in the NAD C3050LE, which does digital domain RIAA, measures pretty well, going by the Soundstage and Stereophile measurements. Although the overload margin has been affected by the firmware upgrade which increased preamp gain to 12dB from 0dB. That upgrade I don't think was present in the Stereophile review. Worth thinking about the non-LE version that is coming soon.

OP
G

GearNostalgia

The Technics 1500c is from their tt line afaict or is it one of their integrated amps (which I don't see)? It's just a phono stage that's a concern?
I need to get a proper 2 channel amp with good power to drive my speakers and I have heard that the riia in the Technics1500c is not so good so I figure I could get an amp that also have a better built in riia section. I am investigating what brand/model that would be worth considering. Right now it seems like I should look at Yamaha AS1200/2200/3200 or Accuphase or perhaps GoldNote. Budget tops out around 3000 so more expensive versions has to be found on sale or second hand. But I am in no hurry so I can wait and keep an eye out when I know what to look for.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I need to get a proper 2 channel amp with good power to drive my speakers and I have heard that the riia in the Technics1500c is not so good so I figure I could get an amp that also have a better built in riia section. I am investigating what brand/model that would be worth considering. Right now it seems like I should look at Yamaha AS1200/2200/3200 or Accuphase or perhaps GoldNote. Budget tops out around 3000 so more expensive versions has to be found on sale or second hand. But I am in no hurry so I can wait and keep an eye out when I know what to look for.
What speakers? What is deficient about the Technics phono stage ? Integrated amps tend not to be very good value IMO.

D

Deleted member 48726

The Yamaha A-Sxxx line have a quality power section and quality phono stage.

OP
G

GearNostalgia

The Yamaha A-Sxxx line have a quality power section and quality phono stage.
Seems like it by what I have read so far, but I have not managed to find any reviews with in depth measurements and details about the phono section in the AS-XXXX line.

OP
G

GearNostalgia

What speakers? What is deficient about the Technics phono stage ? Integrated amps tend not to be very good value IMO.
There are quite a few threads about why people have decided to upgrade the phono section from their Technics1500c. It seems to be the general consensus that it is alow budget-ish riia section it the technics1500c. No problem for me I bought it eyes wide open that it would be a starter solution that I might want to upgrade if I got more into vinyl. And now I like listening to vinyl. So the day have come I guess.

OP
G

GearNostalgia

The OP was "Looking at amps like Rotel RA-1592 and such", not the Rega Io and such.
True. I don't have a brand bias per se, but the Rega IO is too weak to drive my speakers since my current Rotel 5 chan amp at 75*5 watts is a bit on the weak side. So I think I would have to look at Rega Elicit or something. It may be a small thing, but I am not a fan of the Rega design, I prefer straight old skool lines.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are quite a few threads about why people have decided to upgrade the phono section from their Technics1500c. It seems to be the general consensus that it is alow budget-ish riia section it the technics1500c. No problem for me I bought it eyes wide open that it would be a starter solution that I might want to upgrade if I got more into vinyl. And now I like listening to vinyl. So the day have come I guess.
On this forum? My Technics is from before phono stages were part of a tt. It's still just vinyl....

D

Deleted member 48726

Thank you. Seems like the 3200 passed with good results. Now the question is how much that applies to it cheaper siblings or how much it differs from the older 3000 since the 3200 by far exceeds my budget.
Yeah, I figured that. But the only thing I could find with a quick search. There has to be more out there as it's becoming an older series of amps.

OP
G

GearNostalgia

Yeah, I figured that. But the only thing I could find with a quick search. There has to be more out there as it's becoming an older series of amps.

It was good you found this. Most info I have found has more or less ignored the phono stage. And of course it is a rare thing for anybody have many models of that magnitude.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't understand what you mean here.
I'm a bit mystified over the importance of a phono stage. I never used any Technics with a built in phono stage, just didn't exist when I got my SL1200mk2 afaik. Vinyl just isn't worth a ton of expense or special gear IMO.

LouB

You can save about 2K and try out a Marantz PM8006 it has great phono stage. And I did back to back comparisons to my Yamaha and the only reason I kept the Marnatz was because of the phono stage sounded better than the Yamaha. Other than that the amps sounded very very close not much difference. Not sure what speakers your driving maybe you need more power ?

OP
G

GearNostalgia

You can save about 2K and try out a Marantz PM8006 it has great phono stage. And I did back to back comparisons to my Yamaha and the only reason I kept the Marnatz was because of the phono stage sounded better than the Yamaha. Other than that the amps sounded very very close not much difference. Not sure what speakers your driving maybe you need more power ?
That is very interesting! What Yamaha amp did you compare it to? In terms of power it is hard to say cause Watts are a bit different as we all know. Right now I am driving my speakers from a 75*5watt multichan amp and I find it a bit lacking at times so I would like to try and see if a bit more power helps. The PM8006 seems to be leaving the market now. New model on the way?

Top Bottom