• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated amp upgrade from Technics 1500c

WDeranged

My only experience with integrated phono preamps is my Yamaha A-S301 amp and a Rega Planar 1+ which I replaced with the standard model. In both cases they were not great. I've since had a Rega Phono A2D, Schiit Mani and iFi Zen Phono. They were all better than the integrated preamps, moreso with the Schiit and iFi.

OP
G

GearNostalgia

My only experience with integrated phono preamps is my Yamaha A-S301 amp and a Rega Planar 1+ which I replaced with the standard model. In both cases they were not great. I've since had a Rega Phono A2D, Schiit Mani and iFi Zen Phono. They were all better than the integrated preamps, moreso with the Schiit and iFi.
Ok, I suspect there is a substantial difference between the stage in the 400 dollar A-S 1200 to A-S 3200 in the 3000 to 9000 dollar price range. But it would be nice to see a real comparison.

LouB

That is very interesting! What Yamaha amp did you compare it to? In terms of power it is hard to say cause Watts are a bit different as we all know. Right now I am driving my speakers from a 75*5watt multichan amp and I find it a bit lacking at times so I would like to try and see if a bit more power helps. The PM8006 seems to be leaving the market now. New model on the way?
Maybe the Model 40n will replace the PM8006. Maybe more power maybe new speakers (will it ever end;)) for me the 70 watts at 8ohms on the Marantz kicks ass. The Yamaha I compared it to I think was advertised at 110 watts at 8 ohms. I posted this about comparing the amps,

OP
G

GearNostalgia

Yes, it is hard to stop when you have begun. Lucky for me I have not found a good product at an affordable price that meet my wishes this time so for the time beeing I am not upgrading.

Top Bottom