• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Influence of Android’s Sampling Rate Converter on Sound Quality

sushi2020

I use Apple Music with Wavelet on my Android phone.

Android's sampling rate converter forces the sampling rate to 48kHz, which worses the sound quality more than iPhone, but how much does this actually affect the sound quality?
Any research or explanation on this topic?

aedagnino

Well, my 2c and this is just my experience, can't talk about measurements. I bought a dongle dac for my Samsung phone that still has an analog output as I thought it would make a difference. It didn't, I couldn't tell any difference. Then I read that Android does this resampling even if you use USB out and you need software that bypasses internal audio. This led me to USB Audio Pro (UAP) that connects directly to the dongle and now the difference can be heard quite easily. The usual superlatives: more spatial qualities, better bass, etc. UAP only works with files on phone, Tidal and Qobuz, and UPNP if you know and want to use that. Doesn't work with Spotify or Apple Music, so in case I want to hear something from there (mostly podcasts) I just use the headphones connected to the analog out.

Last edited:
OP
sushi2020

sushi2020

Well, my 2c and this is just my experience, can't talk about measurements. I bought a dongle dac for my Samsung phone that still has an analog output as I thought it would make a difference. It didn't, I couldn't tell any difference. Then I read that Android does this resampling even if you use USB out and you need software that bypasses internal audio. This led me to USB Audio Pro (UAP) that connects directly to the dongle and now the difference can be heard quite easily. The usual superlatives: more spatial qualities, better bass, etc. UAP only works with files on phone, Tidal and Qobuz, and UPNP if you know and want to use that. Doesn't work with Spotify or Apple Music, so in case I want to hear something from there (mostly podcasts) I just use the headphones connected to the analog out.
Yes, it is a trouble to me that UAPP does not work with Apple Music.

I have not done ABX test and maybe I can hear some differences, but so far I have no dissatisfaction about Apple Music on Android.
I also use UAPP for my local files, but I have never heard any amazing differences. I may be a happy person in a way:)

I'm going to try headphone listening with EQ on Windows and Mac for a while.

Top Bottom