• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Infinity R162 Bookshelf Speaker Review

diablo900t

I'd also be interested in a test of the RS152s. I use them as side surrounds. They definitely aren't to the level of the RC263 or R162, but I'd be interested to see their measurements nonetheless.

Dianoda

My 7.1 HT setup includes the R263, RC263, R152, and RS152. Attached are the Audyssey pre-correction measurements taken from the main listening position for the R263 (this speaker is just a few inches away from the wall, so plenty of bass reinforcement), R152 (on a stand about two feet from the wall, mic height was in line with the woofer), RS152 (the RS152 is wall-mounted, mic position was on axis horizontally with one of the two tweeters and a bit below it). You can and should probably ignore anything below 500Hz, as response there is more room than speaker, and these were taken with an uncalibrated Audyssey mic - but they should give you an idea of the performance. The R263 towers are great, they are a 3-way design that matches very well with the RC263 center (same woofers and tweeter, but with a slightly larger midwoofer than the center). As for the RS152's, I'm willing to recommend them assuming you can get them at the sale price and have either wide or deep seating, but overall, if you have the space for the R152's instead, you might as well go with the more conventional design.

Infinity RS152 Pre-Correction.pngInfinity R263 Pre-Correction.pngInfinity R152 Pre-Correction.png

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
My 7.1 HT setup includes the R263, RC263, R152, and RS152. Attached are the Audyssey pre-correction measurements taken from the main listening position for the R263 (this speaker is just a few inches away from the wall, so plenty of bass reinforcement), R152 (on a stand about two feet from the wall, mic height was in line with the woofer), RS152 (the RS152 is wall-mounted, mic position was on axis horizontally with one of the two tweeters and a bit below it). You can and should probably ignore anything below 500Hz, as response there is more room than speaker, and these were taken with an uncalibrated Audyssey mic - but they should give you an idea of the performance. The R263 towers are great, they are a 3-way design that matches very well with the RC263 center (same woofers and tweeter, but with a slightly larger midwoofer than the center). As for the RS152's, I'm willing to recommend them assuming you can get them at the sale price and have either wide or deep seating, but overall, if you have the space for the R152's instead, you might as well go with the more conventional design.

View attachment 67575View attachment 67573View attachment 67574
I used the same setup and calibrated with Anthem 520. Result was wonderful.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would run, don't walk, to go check out the sale Harman has today. The R263 towers are on sale for $199 ea!

Wow! Such a good price I had to buy a pair, and I don't even have a room to put them in anymore. Would they work in a garage? or is that too hot?

Right now I've got the JBL 308ps in one office, 305ps in another office, Revel M105s in master bedroom, Infinity Beta 20s in one of the guest bedrooms, and JTR towers in the main room. Maybe they can replace one of those other setups if they sound better. I need to do a shootout with everything I have to figure out my preference and figure out what should go where.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Can anybody know how to get the preference score after equalizing like this?

@MZKM can do it, so try asking him nicely.. :)

Here's how Listening window and Predicted in-room response are looking after correction.

This filter requires 0dB of attenuation meaning that no frequency has been boosted.

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Filter.txt
    9.9 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

QMuse

Major Contributor

Here's how Listening window and Predicted in-room response are looking after correction.

This filter requires 0dB of attenuation meaning that no frequency has been boosted.

View attachment 68511

@edechamps , do you have a means and will to calculate preference rating for this EQ? I think it would be an interesting experiment due to it's very good DI curves. :)

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

View attachment 68511
Just plotting this in excel, is this what you had in mind for the EQ?

1591988330122.png

Can this be realized using PEQ?

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@edechamps , do you have a means and will to calculate preference rating for this EQ? I think it would be an interesting experiment due to it's very good DI curves. :)

I'm afraid I don't really have the time to handle one-off requests like these… what I plan to do eventually is add a feature to Loudspeaker Explorer and have it recompute everything from there (including the score) so that you can do this yourself, but it's a bit further down my todo list. Stay tuned!

(I could also add that since Loudspeaker Explorer is open source you could try doing it yourself, but that's a tall order if you're not familiar with the environment. And you'd need to convert the EQ'd data back to Klippel format first.)

Maybe @pierre can do it with his code if he has time.

Last edited:

QMuse

Major Contributor
Just plotting this in excel, is this what you had in mind for the EQ?

View attachment 68549

Can this be realized using PEQ?

Here's how it is presented with rePhase. It looks pretty much the same once you adjust the scaling.

Capture.JPG

It can, but you'd need 37 of them. I'm attaching FIR filter in wav format so anyone interested in this can try it. Less precise PEQ version of it can be done with 12 of them.

Attachments

• Filter.zip
    10.1 KB · Views: 215

QMuse

Major Contributor
I'm afraid I don't really have the time to handle one-off requests like these… what I plan to do eventually is add a feature to Loudspeaker Explorer and have it recompute everything from there (including the score) so that you can do this yourself, but it's a bit further down my todo list. Stay tuned!

(I could also add that since Loudspeaker Explorer is open source you could try doing it yourself, but that's a tall order if you're not familiar with the environment. And you'd need to convert the EQ'd data back to Klippel format first.)

Maybe @pierre can do it with his code if he has time.

Well, doing EQ by hand takes my time as well, but ok..

Jh5

Here's how it is presented with rePhase. It looks pretty much the same once you adjust the scaling.

View attachment 68560

It can, but you'd need 37 of them. I'm attaching FIR filter in wav format so anyone interested in this can try it. Less precise PEQ version of it can be done with 12 of them.

I heard a answer from 'mzkm', special thanks!! 6.6 without sub, 8.5 with sub(on-axis), 8.7 with sub(listening window) .
Would you share the rephase file of this?
thank u very much.

QMuse

Major Contributor
I heard a answer from 'mzkm', special thanks!! 6.6 without sub, 8.5 with sub(on-axis), 8.7 with sub(listening window) .
Would you share the rephase file of this?
thank u very much.

That is an excellent score comparable to Genelec 8341A.

@amirm , this speaker may be the perfect candidate to test your theory how much distortion matters as with this EQ it has perfect linearity and yet it has a distortion spike at 2kHz. Any chance of listening to it again?

Attachments

• Filter.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 119

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is an excellent score comparable to Genelec 8341A.

@amirm , this speaker may be the perfect candidate to test your theory how much distortion matters as with this EQ it has perfect linearity and yet it has a distortion spike at 2kHz. Any chance of listening to it again?

It's hard to believe that these EQs are really this good. I kinda doubt that you can EQ a speaker like this to sound as good as the Genelec. Maybe a limitation of the formula, or maybe it's true, but my instinct is to doubt at the moment.

Top Bottom