• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Increasing Pitch on Audio Players

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When increasing pitch on any audio player such as Jriver or any other device the music turns strained or just doesn't sound as good as the original BPM. But when a DJ speeds up the BPM on his decks you don't get the same effect barely noticing that the speed/pitch difference till put in comparison then you can tell the BPM has changed. However, the sound quality isn't really effected and doesn't sound strained as it does with music players in general.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated...

Philbo King

There are algorithms used in studios that do this very well. Adjust speed without changing pitch and vice versa. Or change both. Within reasonable extremes; you can't set playback to 0.1x without getting some bizarre effects on tone/timbre.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
When increasing pitch on any audio player such as Jriver or any other device the music turns strained or just doesn't sound as good as the original BPM. But when a DJ speeds up the BPM on his decks you don't get the same effect barely noticing that the speed/pitch difference till put in comparison then you can tell the BPM has changed. However, the sound quality isn't really effected and doesn't sound strained as it does with music players in general.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated...
Do you mean "pitch" which is about adjusting frequency (e.g. making the note C into C#), or speed (i.e. making a 3 minute song into 3 minutes and 10 seconds). They are two different things.

In the days of analogue tape and LPs, if you slowed the tape or LP down, the song took longer, but the pitch dropped as well. With digital processing you can speed a podcast up without pitch change or change the notes without changing timing. DJs often change the BPM without changing the pitch. Less frequently, they change the pitch.

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
Do you mean "pitch" which is about adjusting frequency (e.g. making the note C into C#), or speed (i.e. making a 3 minute song into 3 minutes and 10 seconds). They are two different things.

In the days of analogue tape and LPs, if you slowed the tape or LP down, the song took longer, but the pitch dropped as well. With digital processing you can speed a podcast up without pitch change or change the notes without changing timing. DJs often change the BPM without changing the pitch. Less frequently, they change the pitch.
My apologies I meant tempo. But at least from the terminiology I know to increase the BPM.

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
My question is how a DJ can change the tempo without changing the pitch but when I change the tempo in Jriver its obvious something is wrong with the track.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I swear the radio stations over here are getting out of hand with tempo changes to 'fit' a song in before the news on the hour, etc. Drives me mad as I am very sensitive to both pitch and tempo, but even digital tempo changes result in my annoyance.

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
if you need something better, look at Serato Pitch'n Time https://serato.com/pitchntime
What I would really like is a program that can slow the track down to my desired BPM and then set and imported back into Jriver so I don't have to muck around with the BPM on the fly in Jriver. Any ideas how that can be done?

kschmit2

What I would really like is a program that can slow the track down to my desired BPM and then set and imported back into Jriver so I don't have to muck around with the BPM on the fly in Jriver. Any ideas how that can be done?
What you're looking for would be a tool/plugin for Jriver that could read a modifier/flag/command added to a filename containing the processing instructions for that file. The plugin would then read the modifiers from the filename and apply these modifiers on the fly using JRiver's Tempo and Pitch contols during playback without altering the contents of the file.
I don't know if anything like this exists.
Of course you would have to populate the flags manually or with a tool able to do so, first.

Alternatively, nothing prevents you from using e.g. Serato Pitch'n Time to process the files to your desired pitch and tempo and then output a new file that you could then replace your orginal with.

Top Bottom