• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Importance of impulse response

fineMen

Major Contributor
Which is why I see it as my job to make the intellect work less hard, like neutral phase response and compensation for head related stuff etc.
Didn't I say I absorb/avoid all the early reflections?

The intellect is the tool to understand the sound of a replay by a stereo. So we may conclude that people who ask for relief the loudest have little to spend.

Phase distortion within loudspeakers? Or what is the topic? You see, we don't even know what we are talking about. We mutually assure ourselves that we don't like the music (aka (micro-)signal, (micro-)information) that comes out of the stereo.

Ah, one thing OT. When it comes to intermodulation distortion we are too much on the safe side, even if the measuring equipment displays 30% or so. The glossy magazines didn't get a hold on it yet. Nobody can be embarrassed for enjoying a perfect stereo experience even with that much of spicy extra. We only can hope that science will come up with a printable, pictorial presentation of IM pretty soon.

Wesayso

The intellect is the tool to understand the sound of a replay by a stereo. So we may conclude that people who ask for relief the loudest have little to spend.

I'm pretty satisfied with Stereo, how about you...

fineMen

Major Contributor
I'm pretty satisfied with Stereo, how about you...
Not exactly 'stereo', but recorded music made a bigger part of my life. Early photos of me date back when I was fancied by my parents' valve radio receiver, or better to say its program of 'classical' music ... . So I'm quite astonished why contemporary 'audiophiles' don't take advantage of the technology to inform themselves about music as an artform.

Again referring to the initial qustion, the 'impulse' is proven to be a non issue.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With the usual x-overs in traditional speakers, e.g. 2-3 kHz x-over mid to tweeter there are no audible effects with respect to a distorted waveform/impulse response.

It is only when you mess with phase in upper bass having asymmetric waveforms that sometimes is audible to some people. And that cause a change in timbre. And even if it would be audible, it is not or rarely possible to know whether the polarity of that music signal is correct or flipped in the recording.

Last edited:
Top Bottom