• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IK Multimedia iLoud MTM Review (active monitor)

paudio

I really like the MTM for low volume when space is an issue. Hiss definitely wasn't an issue for me and I'm pretty sensitive. An 8" monitor is I think more than double the size. The MTM extend very well at low volumes as well despite that.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Expensive though aren't they, when I saw someone in Euro Deal Thread say they've been reduced to £199 from £369 I thought that was for a pair, not a single speaker! So £400 for a pair. I bought a pair of JBL 308p Mkii speakers back in 2020 in a sale for £300 a pair, granted they're not as convenient as these desktop speakers, and we have had inflation, but the 308p's are more capable. Ha, I almost felt like buying these iLoud MTM when I thought it was £199 a pair, and then I thought "no I don't need them" - they would be tremendous value at £199 a pair though, but like you say the reduced price is double that at £400.

EDIT: but you wouldn't want to use JBL 308p on your desk at close range due to hiss when nothing playing.

To be fair, the 308's don't come with DSP and room correction.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be fair, the 308's don't come with DSP and room correction.
That too, apart from the Trim Switches on each end. Is the room correction any good though on these? Amir didn't like it, but didn't tweak it. Can you see what the room correction does (ie graph of final frequency response)? If the room correction is limited it's probably not that much of an attractive extra. I'm wondering how many people buying these (from ASR) would already have a UMIK & be using REW.

paudio

That too, apart from the Trim Switches on each end. Is the room correction any good though on these? Amir didn't like it, but didn't tweak it. Can you see what the room correction does (ie graph of final frequency response)? If the room correction is limited it's probably not that much of an attractive extra. I'm wondering how many people buying these (from ASR) would already have a UMIK & be using REW.
It's all contained so no final visualization. They have a lot of tuning options on the back though that are useful

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's all contained so no final visualization. They have a lot of tuning options on the back though that are useful
Hmm, I'd say the included mic & room correction is pretty limited then if you can't see what it's doing and the end result. The speakers probably don't have much overhead (in terms of SPL capability down there) to help with room correction, but that would be a problem using UMIK & REW too. Nice little speakers, but expensive, and for low listening levels.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

One of my MTMs is in a corner, the other sits in front of a deep bay window. So for me, the ability to run the automatic correction independently on each MTM is useful. I also measure (using MMM) with a UMIK-1 & REW and apply EQ with eAPO - I've been happy with the results, but I couldn't tell you how much was down to the DSP in the MTMs vs my own corrections. I suppose I should spend some time remeasuring everything when I get it all setup again!

Rosenbloom

Expensive though aren't they, when I saw someone in Euro Deal Thread say they've been reduced to £199 from £369 I thought that was for a pair, not a single speaker! So £400 for a pair. I bought a pair of JBL 308p Mkii speakers back in 2020 in a sale for £300 a pair, granted they're not as convenient as these desktop speakers, and we have had inflation, but the 308p's are more capable. Ha, I almost felt like buying these iLoud MTM when I thought it was £199 a pair, and then I thought "no I don't need them" - they would be tremendous value at £199 a pair though, but like you say the reduced price is double that at £400.

EDIT: but you wouldn't want to use JBL 308p on your desk at close range due to hiss when nothing playing.

For desktop setup where space is limited, I think MTM is quite a good choice. Before the price reduction, I was struggling which ones I should buy for my desktop setup - 8010, KH80 or MTM? Then I saw the price reduction. The choice suddenly became clear to me. (BTW, it is me who made the post in Euro Deal Thread.:cool:)

This afternoon I tried to use MTMs for mid-field listening in a 2.5M triangle. “No, No, No.” I think MTMs are most suitable for near-field listening at a modest volume level but one good point to note is that there is no hiss or hum from the MTMs at all.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For desktop setup where space is limited, I think MTM is quite a good choice. Before the price reduction, I was struggling which ones I should buy for my desktop setup - 8010, KH80 or MTM? Then I saw the price reduction. The choice suddenly became clear to me. (BTW, it is me who made the post in Euro Deal Thread.:cool:)

This afternoon I tried to use MTMs for mid-field listening in a 2.5M triangle. “No, No, No.” I think MTMs are most suitable for near-field listening at a modest volume level but one good point to note is that there is no hiss or hum from the MTMs at all.
Yes, I thought it was you that posted it up in the Deal Thread, good of you to do because it is a big price reduction! Albeit when I check ukcamel then it hasn't spent much time at it's maximum £369 per speaker:
iLoud MTM price history amazon.jpg

Still the best price for it so far though! (£199)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

No, they won't be winning any 'siren battles' - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/24/porirua-siren-kings-new-zealand-city-speaker-battles

To be fair, they are marketed as compact, near field monitors, so we shouldn't expect them bring the house down. More recently, they have been marketed for multi-channel setups which is perhaps more questionable (although i'm very happy the 80Hz LF Extension setting was added as it makes it easier to integrate with my sub).

Personally, I think the perception of the SPL a near field monitor should be capable of in the mid or far field has been a little distorted by the JBL 305/6/8p, which is ironic, because for me, the JBL's fail in the near field due to the horrendous hiss - I sent the 305p's I bought back to Anderton's.

Rosenbloom

My main desk is at the corner of a small room. I still have not used the calibration function. One thing for sure, raising the tweeters to the ear level definitely improve the listening experience.

IMG_8577.jpeg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Use the calibration method... you might be amazed of the differences there could be, with the speakers being so close to walls and one even in a corner.
The mics are supplied and the method is super easy and gives excellent results.

These are currently on sale for $350 CAD/each (~$250 USD, $500 pair). The MMs are $270 CAD/pair right now.

Both speakers are obviously for nearfield, so is there much benefit grabbing the MTMs over the MMs if I'm listening at a desk?

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
These are currently on sale for $350 CAD/each (~$250 USD, $500 pair). The MMs are $270 CAD/pair right now.

Both speakers are obviously for nearfield, so is there much benefit grabbing the MTMs over the MMs if I'm listening at a desk?
I use the MTMs at my desk, they make great computer monitors. Most monitors in their sound class are wider, and the MTMs come with stands that allow them to tilt back (they're "mic stand" mount also).

I only heard the MMs once, before I got these. My impression was that they put out a big sound for their size, and sounded "good", especially if you're just "listening to stuff". But I expected the MTMs would be a lot more accurate for critical liustening, so ordered those and wasn't disappointed, still happy with them after a couple of years.

I bought them a couple of weeks before black Friday, back then, and B&H credited me back the BF sales price. I think they are a steal at BF sale prices. Maybe there's something that competes at that price, but I'm pretty certain they wouldn't be as convenient for a typical desktop flanking a large computer monitor as the MTMs.

bennybbbx

My main desk is at the corner of a small room. I still have not used the calibration function. One thing for sure, raising the tweeters to the ear level definitely improve the listening experience.

View attachment 321311

decoupling speakers is very important on a desktop. I use now 5 cm basotect plate(because i have no thinner) under speakers. and it increase clarity and stereo location more and it is measurable with better rt60 decay in bass upto mid range. I also own the MTM, but sell them because they miss clarity in compare to my others. now i am 99% sure. it was the bad decoupling feets they have .my other speakers have softer rubber feets in the time where i can compare them to the MTM

You can also use mousepads or other foam under speaker for a quick test if you hear diffrence in clarity and better stereo image or measure

marses

Hi all. Im using it for nearfiled got my self svs sb 1000. What's the besf lf freq i should set on mtm? Thanks in advance.

earlevel

Hi all. Im using it for nearfiled got my self svs sb 1000. What's the besf lf freq i should set on mtm? Thanks in advance.
I set mine at 50 and have no issues with volume. At 40, you’ll run into volume issues a lot more, as the DSP boosts lows so much to keep them flat to 40 that it sucks too much power. Of course, that’s only true if you’re playing something with significant frequencies down there, you’ll always be able to play classic rock n roll at high volumes, for instance. But 50 works well for me, and I think IK is pushing the capabilities a bit much at 40. I don’t fault them for letting users have the choice, but it’s ammo for people to fault with how loud they can play.

Last edited:

kofman13

Current iLoud Micro user. Thinking of upgrading this week to MTM. i am a producer/mixer, i would be using them on mic stands at ear level in an un treated room.
What i didn't love about the Micro's were the lack of meaningful low end below 70 hz ( at least in my room). and the "shouty" and harsh high-mids. they never felt warm and full bodied. also all kickdrums around 120hz-160hz all sounded like nasal rocks. banging/booming not how they should. so rough and ugly. basically a huge bump there. either the room or the speakers.
Anyway i went back to my old and crappy KRK rokit 6 G2 and while they are pretty bad overall, they have that full bodied warmth and kick drums are not sticking out so much in the mix. in some weird way even though they are not flat, don't have good tone or even a full frequency spectrum, because i "enjoyed" listening to them more than the more clinical Micros, i produced better music on them in the last few days (i did mix and leveling with VSX headphones after though).
Anyway i would like to consolidate and not use both the Micros and the KRKs, so i been looking at getting the MTMs, because of their size, what i read about how good the ow end is, and because they come with a mic to calibrate with.
But after reading this thread i am a bit worried, people keep saying they are very mid heavy and "shouty" forcing people to turn them down. And then i start worrying they might have the same qualities that made me not enjoy the Micros too much.
thoughts?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
They sound fine at close range and when calibrated using the mic.
They can reach pretty deep BUT not on a high SPL.
There is a LED indicator on the front that shows when it clips and when using them as desktop speakers (PC usage) at modestly loud levels they clip.

They might be mid-heavy or shouty with the wrong positioning or when using the pre-programmed settings but not when you calibrated them properly using the mics.
This is really easy to do, also on location.

Just don't use them as home speakers or studio monitors from a few meters distance.

Soria Moria

Current iLoud Micro user. Thinking of upgrading this week to MTM. i am a producer/mixer, i would be using them on mic stands at ear level in an un treated room.
What i didn't love about the Micro's were the lack of meaningful low end below 70 hz ( at least in my room). and the "shouty" and harsh high-mids. they never felt warm and full bodied. also all kickdrums around 120hz-160hz all sounded like nasal rocks. banging/booming not how they should. so rough and ugly. basically a huge bump there. either the room or the speakers.
Anyway i went back to my old and crappy KRK rokit 6 G2 and while they are pretty bad overall, they have that full bodied warmth and kick drums are not sticking out so much in the mix. in some weird way even though they are not flat, don't have good tone or even a full frequency spectrum, because i "enjoyed" listening to them more than the more clinical Micros, i produced better music on them in the last few days (i did mix and leveling with VSX headphones after though).
Anyway i would like to consolidate and not use both the Micros and the KRKs, so i been looking at getting the MTMs, because of their size, what i read about how good the ow end is, and because they come with a mic to calibrate with.
But after reading this thread i am a bit worried, people keep saying they are very mid heavy and "shouty" forcing people to turn them down. And then i start worrying they might have the same qualities that made me not enjoy the Micros too much.
thoughts?
Neumann KH80 DSP?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
thoughts?
If you're a producer/mixer, you're well accustomed with the idea of equalization. These speakers give you the foundation to take measurements and develop a correction for your space. As long as you have them off the desk and otherwise set up properly, they can be made very neutral.

Top Bottom