• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IK Multimedia iLoud MTM Review (active monitor)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just replaced my DT speakers (Dali Lektor) for the MTM.
Once calibrated they sound excellent. Set at 40Hz there is subwoofer type bass.
Just not very loud (as Amir mentioned) and when low frequencies are played loud there is substantial port noise.
At normal levels these sound really excellent though.
Was torn between the KH80 and this one but the calibration mic is truly a blessing and saves me a lot of trouble and are cheaper.
Of course the KH80 can go louder but I don't need that.
I guess you use them as computer speakers, for instance on either side of a PC monitor? Is the calibration mic that useful, Amir said there are no graphs to see to work out what it's done?

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess you use them as computer speakers, for instance on either side of a PC monitor? Is the calibration mic that useful, Amir said there are no graphs to see to work out what it's done?
It made a very clear audible improvement in my very near field setup. I use them as monitors for my digital piano setup which is right in a corner of my living room and the calibration neatly tidied up the bass. But I haven't gone through the trouble of measuring with REW to see the before and after.

I do think it's a big shame there's seemingly no way to access the calibration though. I wonder if perhaps one could use the USB service port to do so, but I haven't tried. I agree that it would nice to see what changes are actually happening.

It would be also be really nice if you could use iLoud's more advanced ARC 3 PC software and load the calibration directly into your speakers.

Tenfilip

Just replaced my DT speakers (Dali Lektor) for the MTM.
Once calibrated they sound excellent. Set at 40Hz there is subwoofer type bass.
Just not very loud (as Amir mentioned) and when low frequencies are played loud there is substantial port noise.
At normal levels these sound really excellent though.
Was torn between the KH80 and this one but the calibration mic is truly a blessing and saves me a lot of trouble and are cheaper.
Of course the KH80 can go louder but I don't need that.
What DAC?

solderdude

Grand Contributor

I see them as monitor speakers that can be used next to a screen as well.
Sounds like the calibration worked excellent. Don't need to see the EQ nor the graphs. Much better balanced then everything I used before these and good enough for me. Happy, was just over € 300,- a piece.

What DAC?
E30 run through my own design headphone/preamp (the C.H.AMP.) a bit modified now....

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ditched it and ARC in favor of my own UMIK-1 averages and used REW to make filters for Equalizer APO.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I ditched it and ARC in favor of my own UMIK-1 averages and used REW to make filters for Equalizer APO.
I see, yeah, mixed reviews on the success of the built in calibration system - just on this page two people liking it and yourself & Amir in the review not thinking it's optimal. Of course a person doesn't have to use their calibration feature, so it can just be seen as optional extra, so it's not really a negative, instead a possible positive.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see, yeah, mixed reviews on the success of the built in calibration system - just on this page two people liking it and yourself & Amir in the review not thinking it's optimal. Of course a person doesn't have to use their calibration feature, so it can just be seen as optional extra, so it's not really a negative, instead a possible positive.
Yeah it didn't really work for me in terms of sound, but beyond that, I wanted to use my other software.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

My issue is that I essentially have three sound sources that play through the MTM's, often all at once or in quick succession: My digital Piano's built-in sound engine, ASIO through my DAW, and other sound sources through good ol' Windows Audio.

The most convenient way to have all sound sources play back with the same room EQ is of course using the speaker's own DSP. Otherwise, I'd need to use REW/Equalizer APO for regular audio, a different EQ for my DAW, and would have none available for my piano. Or I'd have to use a minidsp, which is the route I'm considering somewhere down the road.

For now, I'm happy enough with the results from the built in calibration considering 90% of my time at this setup is just practicing piano. But it sure would be nice if I could just take advantage of whatever DSP is already built into the speakers.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The most convenient way to have all sound sources play back with the same room EQ is of course using the speaker's own DSP. Otherwise, I'd need to use REW/Equalizer APO for regular audio, a different EQ for my DAW, and would have none available for my piano. Or I'd have to use a minidsp, which is the route I'm considering somewhere down the road.
Why? PEACE allows you to choose which inputs to apply the EQ to. You can choose one or many.

Tenfilip

Small remark - I placed the speakers on the side of my 32" monitor, with tweeter on the ear level, forming a triangle with my head. Something was not great.
I towed them to be in parallel to each other, rather than towed in, and now they sound great and have very good imaging.

It's counterintuitive, but helped me a lot, maybe will work for you as well.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Small remark - I placed the speakers on the side of my 32" monitor, with tweeter on the ear level, forming a triangle with my head. Something was not great.
I towed them to be in parallel to each other, rather than towed in, and now they sound great and have very good imaging.

It's counterintuitive, but helped me a lot, maybe will work for you as well.
Have you done EQ to remove the desk reflection? Makes a huge difference.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, substantial difference indeed.
Only using 'desk' setting didn't work for me at all.
Calibration is super simple.
Plug in the enclosed mic using the supplied cable.
Sit where you usually sit.
Point the mic towards the speaker you are calibrating a few cm away from your ear.
Press the cal button on the speaker. Keep the mic still until the calibration is done.
After pressing the cal button you will hear 4 short sweeps after a short waiting period and when the LED is turning white you're set.
Repeat with the 2nd speaker (mic next to your other ear).
Done...

G|force

Forum Donor
Any iK MTM users here considering trying out the next MTM model?
Does the increase in cabinet volume/size and price increase your curiosity?
Does it turn you toward or away?
What say you existing MTM users?

Locotek

I'm thinking about it since they are offering a discount on the new models if you own the original mtms.. But I will wait for a review on here before spending any money.

The other monitors I am considering are kh120's or genelec 8030c (with sub) so the bigger monitor will likely make me happier as long as it measures well.

I don't use the DSP on the MTMs/Sub and instead run sonarworks systemwide and am relatively pleased aside from a bit of hissing. The precision MTMs would likely get paired with a sub as well.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I bought the MTMs because of their size. If I had space for the Precision MTMs, then i'd also be considering Genelec and Neuman monitors.

Darklight

I am new to this forum but have posted this on IK’s own forum and also at Gearspace, as I have had big problems with K Multimedia MTM speakers.

I would be VERY, VERY careful buying from IK Multimedia and check your consumer rights in whichever county you are in, along with IK Multimedia’s own terms and conditions for support and service (which I have requested in writing from them).

I have had 2 faulty iLoud MTM monitors. The first one was replaced under warranty by the shop I purchased it from. The second one however, failed again with the same issue, by which time I had relocated abroad.

IK Multimedia support is now refusing to even fix the speaker, saying it is out of its one year warranty.

They have told me I can only take it back to the shop from where I purchased it, which I am unable to do as I am not in that particular country at present. Also, the speakers are not allowed by local customs to be shipped abroad from my current location, due to magnets being contained inside.

The shop itself (juno.co.uk) have also made it clear in writing that IK Multimedia are totally responsible for any repairs or servicing outside of warranty and have refused to take it back.

When they worked as a pair, the speakers were good for the price and I had successful results using them. The problem is, they have been extremely unreliable. This includes having various coloured lights coming on and off intermittently, before then going to a red light and finally not playing any sound at all. This happens daily and I have sent several videos of this behaviour to IK Multimedia.

The speaker also makes a crackling/popping sound when being switched on.

I have had the same issue with both faulty speakers, so I believe this must be a known manufacturing problem. I have also found out that others have had similar problems with this particular model of speaker.

If IK continue to refuse to resolve this issue and leave me with no support at all for a faulty speaker, I will never buy this brand again or recommend them to others I know. I have been totally shocked by their response and just wanted to share this poor experience as I feel others may not realise the type of support they may receive from IK Multimedia.

A single new iLoud MTM in the country I am based in currently costs around £440. To be expected to simply buy the speaker again (or even consider their new more expensive speakers) with no tech support available after one year would be madness, yet this is the only option available.

As a buyer of their iLoud Micro monitors and also their ARC 3 system, I expected better treatment from IK. I still hope that they will see sense and find a way to repair or service the speaker for me, I’d be grateful to hear if anyone else has had their speaker repaired out of warranty and if so what was the process or price for this.

Going forward, I will stick to the main players when buying monitors. I thought these would be good value but in hindsight, I wish I had payed more for the reliability of a more professional brand.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to hear about your issue with the MTMs.

The shop itself (juno.co.uk) have also made it clear in writing that IK Multimedia are totally responsible for any repairs or servicing outside of warranty and have refused to take it back.

Don't be fobbed off by references to manufactures warranty. Your contract of sale is with the reseller in the UK. You need to remind them of their obligations under the Consumer Rights Act 2015... e.g. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/9

There are plenty of templates available on-line for making it formal...

Music1969

Major Contributor
Don't be fobbed off by references to manufactures warranty. Your contract of sale is with the reseller in the UK. You need to remind them of their obligations under the Consumer Rights Act 2015... e.g. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/9

There are plenty of templates available on-line for making it formal...
This is of course true but he will have to ship it to the retailer or manufacturer

He said he can't / won't ship from his new location.

I think it's fair to expect retailer to say send it to in. It's probably in their terms and conditions

eg "Return to base"

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is of course true but he will have to ship it to the retailer.

He said he can't / won't ship to UK from his new location.

I think it's fair to expect retailer to say send it to in. It's probably in their terms and conditions

eg "Return to base"

Yes, but you can't blame the retailer for consumers current location outside the UK or their inability to ship faulty goods back to the UK due to local laws.

I managed to get a full refund (and a small amount of compensation) from a UK retailer for a Samsung Microwave that developed a fault* after 18 months. It took about 10 weeks of reminding them of their legal obligations, before they caved in (to be fair this was in COVID lockdown so I expected things to move a little slower than usual and acted accordingly).

* The capacitive keypad developed a mind of it's own and would register presses without anyone in the vicinity, which was obviously quite dangerous.

Darklight

Thank you very much for your replies and links posted.

I asked the retailer specifically by phone and also email if they intended to honour consumer law after they said they would definitely not take it back. They didn't reply to me after that. I have visited the UK only once very briefly since the pandemic restrictions eased and in hindsight could have sent it back then. I didn't on this occasion though after their response of refusing to take it back and not being in the country for long enough, if I needed to follow up any claim. I am still a UK resident and tax payer however, who spends large periods of time abroad but am not always in the UK for long enough to carry out any legal claim etc.

I will check the links that have been posted and contact them again also. I'm not sure when I will next be back in the UK though which complicates things but I purchased the speakers in Sep 2019 so still have time within the consumer law timeframe. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Last edited:
Top Bottom