• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IK Multimedia iLoud MTM Review (active monitor)

Music1969

Major Contributor
Yes, but you can't blame the retailer for consumers current location outside the UK or their inability to ship faulty goods back to the UK due to local laws.

Noted regarding legal obligations, re-location and inability to ship to UK would be outside of that.

If it the terms and conditions say you need to return the product to base, then that's it.

Both sides have obligations

Last edited:

marses

Wondering does the tilt stand that comes together with the speaker sufficient? Do you need to put isolation pad under it?

Thanks.

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Did they raise the price? It’s USD399 for one now.
Yes, $399.99.

If you can wait till black friday / cyber monday/week (prime day, etc.), they might be discounted. Last year, I bought at the old price of $349.99 each, but they dropped $75 each for cyber week (I called B&H and they credited me back, as they have a 30-day policy).

MKreroo

Yes, from page 10 of the manual...

7. Turn your audio playback system on (Mixing console, Audio interface, etc.). Make sure you have set the
proper input sensitivity using the SENS button, then set the volume control to MAX (full clockwise). This
is the reference position for the SPL calibrated values in the specs. Adjust the volume control to a lower
position only if needed or only in case you require different levels between the speakers.
so the proper way to use is to max out their own amplification, and reduce the input (DAC or preamp) to adjust the volume? seems counterintuitive as I thought the rule of thumb is usually to have go for the least amount of amplification from the speaker?

I contacted them trying to figure out what input voltage I should avoid to avoid clipping or compression, but they have not reply with any value.
In this case what is the correct way to avoid clipping?

marses

@mkc tried putting max on both by I got dizzy when listening so I reset to the middle (the dot groove on the knob at 12 colock).

MKreroo

@mkc tried putting max on both by I got dizzy when listening so I reset to the middle (the dot groove on the knob at 12 colock).
I have been using the pair with knob at min location, and increase the input voltage (the exact opposite of what the manual suggest)
Read a few threads and now using them with 12 o'clock too. I am also debating on whether if I should set 40hz or 60hz for bass.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
40Hz is only interesting when not playing loud.
Mine is at 40Hz but don't play loud.

marses

Loud also very subjective lol. My case I just put my passive volume knob to 8 o clock possition

paudio

I am still always amazed by the low end extension these have for their size. At desktop volumes these play all my favourite electronic music very well.

Wish they weren't a grounded design. Unbalanced is a nightmare without galvanic isolation. Been using an ADUM3160.

Edit:

Right now I am running an Earstudio ES100 hooked up to auto turn on with USB power. Whatever is plugged into my usb dock outputs to it and anything I play via bluetooth will override it. Just ordered a 2.5mm -> 2x3.5mm TRS to run balanced out to my MTMs which should make the galvanic isolation redundant.

It's pretty interesting running the ES100 this way. Can fire up the speakers and play over bluetooth or play from my PC. Parametric EQ etc.

Last edited:

Tenfilip

I also had issues with non-balanced connection, so using only balanced (currently C200 from SMSL). Do you think its an issue with the construction of these?

I wanted to ask something else to all of you - have you had cases of the speakers forgeting the calibration and reseting to default? I think mine did reset on their own.

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I also had issues with non-balanced connection, so using only balanced (currently C200 from SMSL). Do you think its an issue with the construction of these?

I wanted to ask something else to all of you - have you had cases of the speakers forgeting the calibration and reseting to default? I think mine did reset on their own.
On the first issue: Unbalanced operation simply supplies one side of the balanced input with with a ground reference. So, if balanced works, unbalanced should work too, provided that it's wired correctly. If you're using a normal, unbalanced cable, the wiring to should be correct as far as the speaker goes (because the tip-sleeve phone plug will connect one leg of the balanced input to ground—hard to go wrong here). What I'm getting a problem like this almost certainly has to be the cable, or the C200 output not liking one leg shorted to ground. Almost impossible for it to be a problem with the speaker. (Oh wait, I pulled up a review to see the C200 connections, "Cons: Not “true” balanced output". I think that just means they didn't use dual DACs, but I'd have to know more out the output stage to know is this is playing a part in the issue you're seeing.)

I've had mine more than two years, they haven't forgotten their settings.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes and it got fixed by a firmware update. Have you updated your MTMs?

BTW - I only lost the settings when 80hz LF Extension was set...

Tenfilip

Yes and it got fixed by a firmware update. Have you updated your MTMs?

BTW - I only lost the settings when 80hz LF Extension was set...

Hey, tbh no idea if I did, also bought them used. If this repeats, I will look to update, thank you.

paudio

I had one of mine reset at some point but nothing since a firmware update

Raz

I had plans to "upgrade" from my KRK Rokit 5 G4 and save space om my desk at the same time so I ordered the Iloud MTM's. I a/b'd the monitors on a track I'm working on where I made subtile changes to the sound of the bassline with Waves vitamin and Denise XL vst's, mostly affecting the region between 50- 250hz. On the MTM's I could bearly hear the difference turning the vst's on and off - they sound quite muffled, but on the KRK's the difference was crystal clear. The MTM's will be going back. Too bad, they looked good.

Top Bottom