• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IFI hip dac battery issue

david85

I am considering get one as it look like a good and simple to use amp/dac for office listening. However there are not so good comments on its battery life, even loses charge when its not powered on. Any one has them ?

anon2k2

Forum Donor
I have one, and yes, the battery drains even when turned off. If you charge it and just put it away, it will be completed dead in a couple of days.

Asylum Seeker

The price of hipsterism...

raif71

Major Contributor
I have one, and yes, the battery drains even when turned off. If you charge it and just put it away, it will be completed dead in a couple of days.
Mine after fully charged...when left alone turned off, I would say two weeks later can still be used. The battery indicator when turned off was white...two weeks later is green which means more than 25%

1601467859612.png

anon2k2

Forum Donor
Mine after fully charged...when left alone turned off, I would say two weeks later can still be used. The battery indicator when turned off was white...two weeks later is green which means more than 25%

View attachment 85505
I think that there might be a batch of them that don't work correctly. Yours is what I would have expected, but mine goes from white to red, even with no use, after about 3-4 days. If I'm actively using it, I get about 5 hours of use.

I saw some stuff on Reddit and other forums about it too. I'm outside the return window and I just remember to charge it before taking it on a journey.

I'm actually doing an experiment right now, I charged it overnight and just took it off the charger at 6AM my time. I'm going to check it periodically until the LED turns red just to validate what my experience has been over the last few months.

raif71

Major Contributor
I think that there might be a batch of them that don't work correctly. Yours is what I would have expected, but mine goes from white to red, even with no use, after about 3-4 days. If I'm actively using it, I get about 5 hours of use.

I saw some stuff on Reddit and other forums about it too. I'm outside the return window and I just remember to charge it before taking it on a journey.

I'm actually doing an experiment right now, I charged it overnight and just took it off the charger at 6AM my time. I'm going to check it periodically until the LED turns red just to validate what my experience has been over the last few months.
ok, noted and good luck on your validation

anon2k2

Forum Donor
This morning I turned on my Hip Dac and the power LED was green. So from Wed 6AM to Sat 4AM the Hip Dac drained at least 75% of its battery with no use other than me checking the LED color a couple times per day. The LED colors are white for 25%-100% power, green for 10%-25% power, and red for under 10%.

OP
D

david85

This morning I turned on my Hip Dac and the power LED was green. So from Wed 6AM to Sat 4AM the Hip Dac drained at least 75% of its battery with no use other than me checking the LED color a couple times per day. The LED colors are white for 25%-100% power, green for 10%-25% power, and red for under 10%.
What a downer , thanks for sharing your experience. Looks like I shall have to look elsewhere

BubbaJay

It takes a few weeks for the battery to drain down all the way. I love the way my Hip Dac sounds but I hate the battery which only lasts about 5 hours or so when using it after fully charged. At least you can use it while it charges so if it's your main amp dac for say your pc just leave it plugged in while you use it.

szhchen

I didn't notice drain issue with my hip-dac. If any unit drain so fast, should it be warm when turn off?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I didn't notice drain issue with my hip-dac. If any unit drain so fast, should it be warm when turn off?

When a battery is slowly drained when not in use the dissipation will be very low so there will be no temperature rise at these discharge rates.
Draining a good battery in an hour or so will result in dissipated heat.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Hip-dac dead as schitt,schitts been sitting minding it's business for weeks or months, dan clark rt arrives wanna test my portable schitt and the schitt won't turn on or charge and people talk about Chinese products, well this schitt is bristish Designed, now why didn't this western company recall this schitt,props to John Yang and Toppings and FUQ Ifi.

Last edited:
Top Bottom