• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

If you have a fairly decent in room response is DRC worthwhile?

PRL

I have a reasonably decent in room response and while it's not too line studio quality it is pretty good with no obvious peaks or suck outs. Is there a point where DRC may not be worthwhile?

I'm guessing that DRC can only do so much to overcome the room acoustics.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I once set up a system in literally a glass house extension and the response was pretty flat but there wasn’t much bass, is your room of a very limp construction/
Keith

OP
P

PRL

I once set up a system in literally a glass house extension and the response was pretty flat but there wasn’t much bass, is your room of a very limp construction/
Keith

It's pretty solid and I've had to trim the bass down a little on the tone controls to control it. My house was built in the 60s and believe it or not the internal walls are made from compressed straw coated in gypsum. Amazingly it doesn't support combustion very well.

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you have measurements of the current in-room response?

I typically make use of DRC regardless, as there are few perfectly well behaved speakers which don’t benefit from some correction.

ppataki

Major Contributor
Yes it would definitely make sense since a decent tool (like Dirac) will not only correct the frequency response but the step response also - and that will make a huge difference

OP
P

PRL

Thanks, always good to see what others experience is. I have room measurements somewhere but can't find them right now. I used Audio Tools and a Dayton EMM6 mic.

SadMonster

Here is my average frequency response with 9 measurement points. It doesn’t look that bad to me but the difference Dirac corrections made is very significant to me. The biggest improvement in my system was clarity. You can disable Dirac corrections with a button and re-enable so you can compare sort of easily.

Listening Area Frequency Response:

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can disable Dirac corrections with a button and re-enable so you can compare sort of easily.

This is a most important aspect of DIRAC in MiniDSP application. After running through all the measurements I found the correction subtle, and preferred the presentation without processing.

Bathed dog principle

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Here is my average frequency response with 9 measurement points. It doesn’t look that bad to me but the difference Dirac corrections made is very significant to me. The biggest improvement in my system was clarity. You can disable Dirac corrections with a button and re-enable so you can compare sort of easily.

Listening Area Frequency Response:
Do you listen in mono?

Top Bottom