• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

If adding a coupler does not add capacitance, there is no real impact to the performance?

GabrielPhoto

Hi!
I needed a 25foot RCA cable for my subwoofer but I realized I had two Monoprice Onix cables one 15 and one 12' so just 27'. So I used a coupler and measured capacitance (if that even matters) and it was still 21pF per foot so not sure if there is anything else that is a concern when using a coupler?
Thanks

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
No harm.

And capacitance (in parallel like with a cable) is especially unimportant with a subwoofer because if it has any effect it starts to act like a low-pass filter.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Total cable capacitance in a line level interconnect system has no impact on analog audio performance.
However in a phono cartridge to pre-amp input cable it can have an impact on high frequency performance.

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

The reason I was asking is because I found some comments about losing conductivity due to the coupler..for whatever that matters in my case :D

sam_adams

Major Contributor
The capacitance of the coupler is significantly lower than the total cable capacitance so that's a non-issue. There might be a small change in the overall total resistance of the cable because of the coupler, but you would be measuring that in milliohms, so again, it's really not going to be of any consequence.

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

I am happy to save money then..
Thanks all!!!

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
As others have said, it should not be a problem. However, it does increase the number of junctions in series. If you live in a high contamination area (near the sea or near roads etc), it's worth remembering to regularly disconnect and reconnect this junction and other RCA connections.

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

Speedskater

Major Contributor
The person in that video is totally confused about cable construction.
But anyway, a low subwoofer cable with RCA connectors should have a heavy braided shield. Not the cable that the cable TV system uses.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
By the way, RCA refers to a type of signal cable connector, some other signal connectors are: BNC. XLR, DIN, 1/4 inch phono and some smaller connectors.
coax is a type of cable that has one central conductor and a circular shield. There are many different coax cables optimized for different purposes.

Last edited:

SSS

Of course shielded coaxial cable can be used for audio too. It is often more rigid, but for a permanent installation this should be no problem. And there exist RCA connectors which are able to catch the bigger diameter. There are also audio RCA ready made cables with big diameter. The referenced blog above tells just nonsense.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Of course shielded coaxial cable can be used for audio too. It is often more rigid
You are thinking of a particular type of coax cable optimized for cable or satellite television.
Almost all nice RCA connector audio interconnects use a coax cable.

Top Bottom