• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I Weep Because I Have No More Worlds To Conquer

OP
Jim Creek

Jim Creek

If you're happy with those speakers I suppose....
Those Silver 100 speakers are very good. With a light touch on the eq they get down to 40hz, and they image well. Plus they have a high WAF. She likes the rosenut finish, and they are smallish.

No subwoofer is possible, no towers, no big monkey coffins, nothing out of the ordinary. My listening area is my living center. I’m walking a fine line due to the boss of the house. My options are limited.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Divorce then.
Keith

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Silver 100's are competent, but there are all sorts of speakers out there which are better.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
Try and stop him :)
i'm not sure what you're trying to say to Jim

time to start making some new audiophiles in your own image?

yes i believe DSP R/C is the next frontier... something from Minidsp?

also if these are the speakers

they seem quite nice from a storied manufacturer

OP
Jim Creek

Jim Creek

i'm not sure what you're trying to say to Jim

time to start making some new audiophiles in your own image?

yes i believe DSP R/C is the next frontier... something from Minidsp?

also if these are the speakers

they seem quite nice from a storied manufacturer
Mine are also Silver 100s but they are older, generation 6. In fact, Amir reviewed these in 2021. I bought mine in 2019.

Last edited:

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just wait. Something new will come along that cause you to get upgraditus.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Hmm - bearing in mind there's not one pair of Monitor Audio boxes with metal cone/dome drivers I've ever liked, perhaps a foray into Genelec and/or Neu,ann is worth a dabble. You can ditch your amps too and go fully active which is always better unless the speaker was crud to start with ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Those Silver 100 speakers are very good. With a light touch on the eq they get down to 40hz, and they image well. Plus they have a high WAF. She likes the rosenut finish, and they are smallish.

No subwoofer is possible, no towers, no big monkey coffins, nothing out of the ordinary. My listening area is my living center. I’m walking a fine line due to the boss of the house. My options are limited.
Still, that's the direction for better sound, not particularly the electronics....or WAF :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not too foul in that price bracket;

index.php

JSmith
Not saying they're bad particularly, have seen opinions generally positive for them (but have never seen one IRL) but that's the area to upgrade vs electronics generally.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I upgraded my amp to a Purifi Eigentakt, my Preamp to a Topping Pre90, my DAC to an SMSL DO100, my headphone amp to a Schiit Modi Heretic. I love my 4 year old Silver 100 speakers too much to part with them. The upgraded electronics has made those speakers too good.

All my old electronics were around 7 years old. Now I have nothing left to upgrade. :(
You are in a dangerous place!

After hitting that sweet spot, you become the enemy and "different is the same as better" syndrome can strike! (They used to call it upgraditis.) I think knowing I do it helps me not do it.

Another cure for upgraditis is attending a Hi Fi Show. Afterward, when you get to go home and relax, it will reaffirm your system in great ways.

I hope your joy is perpetual!

eboleyn

Forum Donor
Sigh, I felt a bit like the OP as I went through something similar.

I'm on my 3rd gen customized speaker setup (with a myriad of variations before even the 1st gen of bought equipment), and I'm pretty sure that at least for nearfield listening that even the 2nd gen setup already had lower distortion than my human ears can detect, and the 3rd gen measures better.

Having gotten this far is really all ASR's fault! Before learning about ASR I didn't have nearly as wide a net of high-quality measured equipment. It's been invaluable in zeroing in on the available equipment as well as pushing manufacturers to make them better.

Having said the above, for my 4th gen I'm going for a larger non-nearfield setup, but it does feel a bit like I'm "climbing the mountain because it's there". The more full room-filling sound in my large living room will be nice, but ... well you all get the idea.

Waxx

Major Contributor
I don't like those speakers, they sound subjective harsh and aggressive. I would get real better speakers (in my opinion) like those from Neumann or JBL They also look ugly i think. But it's a subjective view off course, if you like them, don't mind.

You could get a few subs to get more low. They are bookshelfs and those don't go that low. But do you need that?

Room acoustics and dsp is where you still can do stuff, but the waf and practical issues may also limit that.

And for the rest, enjoy music, because that is what it's about (or should be) at the end.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You might want to look into Ascen Sierra LX's which are about the same price and size as the Monitor Audio Silver 100's. You might find them superior to the MA's.

ta240

Major Contributor
The world of the audiophile:
"I am now completely happy with my system"
Responses from everyone:
"You should replace this, try that, buy some of these..."

OP
Jim Creek

Jim Creek

Thanks for your suggested speaker upgrades everyone. But the Silvers are the right ones for my time and place and wife.
IMG_0591.jpeg

Top Bottom