• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I need a straight answer on Bluetooth sound quality

JSmith

Master Contributor
To connect up to the vehicle’s audio system using your smartphone, you can opt for a wireless connection over Bluetooth where the SBC and AAC codecs are supported only, or opt for higher-fidelity playback by using a wired USB connection instead. Here, both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are supported through the infotainment system.
at least AAC
SBC320 kbps16 bit48.0 kHz2003
AAC264 kbps16 bit44.1 kHz2015

JSmith

BeerBear

I don't know what that chart is supposed to mean.
Just to be clear: SBC's higher max bitrate doesn't mean it has better audio quality. AAC can produce better quality even at a lower bitrate.
The encoder used makes a big difference, however. But seeing how OP has an iPhone, I'm pretty sure that the AAC encoder will be good. Whereas with Android phones the implementations vary and you're not guaranteed good quality when using BT with AAC.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Car audio is such a crapshoot. Subjectively, I haven't heard a system I thought sounded better than my wife's old Volvo XC60 (2014 model). I have no idea who even made the thing, but it was a whole lot better IMO than the Burmester in her current Mercedes or the several "high-end" Harman systems in my own BMWs. So much of all this depends on the sonic characteristics of the enclosure - i.e., the vehicle's cabin.

DonR

Major Contributor
Car audio is such a crapshoot. Subjectively, I haven't heard a system I thought sounded better than my wife's old Volvo XC60 (2014 model). I have no idea who even made the thing, but it was a whole lot better IMO than the Burmester in her current Mercedes or the several "high-end" Harman systems in my own BMWs. So much of all this depends on the sonic characteristics of the enclosure - i.e., the vehicle's cabin.
We always say the most important aspect after the source material is the room or car interior in this case. It must be a reflection nightmare inside a car.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
It would make more sense (well, not financially...) to upgrade the car's audio capabilities with dampening, better speakers and DSP. I have a current-gen Kia Rio GT and, while the stock system was decent, it improved immensely with proper dampening and deadening of the car doors and better speakers, driven by a DSP capable amp that allowed for calibration.
Dampening makes a massive difference, even more if you drive a lot. Less noise from the tire contact and engine means a lot less stress.

Better sounding music, is, of course, the other great part.

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Damping. If you want dampening, leave the windows open in the rain.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

rwortman

Forum Donor
Industry misuse is still misuse. To reduce the amplitude is damping. A piano does not have a dampening pedal.

Vict0r

Damping. If you want dampening, leave the windows open in the rain.
Hahaha sorry, English isn't my first language. Thanks.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I don't know what that chart is supposed to mean.
I was just confirming what you said in reference to AAC being available for the OP, as previously I posted SBC only for the Meridian car audio system.
SBC's higher max bitrate doesn't mean it has better audio quality.
Yes that's basically what I posted earlier.

JSmith

Top Bottom