• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I have narrowed down my options...

Moldea

Well, it seems I am back asking you guys for advice , as this is a pretty hard choice for me to make objectively
These are the following setups that I have narrowed this decision down to:

1. Repackaged Hifiman Ananda Stealth(523$) + Repackaged Topping Dx3Pro+(196$) : this would be the most expensive on my list, and I was wondering if this was worth compared to the other choices.

2. Hifiman edition XS, brand new or repackaged( 479$, respectively 414$) + Topping Dx3Pro+ / Fiio K7 ( 196$ for a repackaged Topping, 240$ for a new one , as for the latter )

3. Sennheiser 600 + Topping Dx3Pro+ / Fiio K7 (same prices as above)

Now, I am looking for great value in these setups, I have managed to listen to most of these and I am equally as amazed by them ( at the respective price points ) , but of course, I am seeking the opinions of those who have been in this niche for more than I have.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The Ananda Stealth, Edition XS, and HD600 are all very sensitive headphones that don't even remotely warrant a Headphone Amp as powerful as the DX3Pro+ or FiiO K7.

You can safely cut your DAC+Amp budget in half with something like the Topping DX1, without losing any sound quality.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
My opinion is - don't ask people on the internet for their opinion on what headphone YOU should get. Or speakers for that matter. Electronics are a different matter, once we know what transducer you are using, it is easier to recommend electronics. Transducer choice and headphones is very personal. This is because:

- everybody's head is different. What is comfortable for one head may not be comfortable for yours. All sorts of things are at play here - clamping pressure, adequacy of the seal, whether your ears sweat or not, etc.
- consequently, the HRTF (Head Related Transfer Function) is different. The measurement you see was taken on a test fitting. It will not be the same sound that reaches your ears.
- measurements don't tell you everything. It will tell you the frequency response, which is the most important factor when it comes to SQ. But it won't tell you how "open" the headphones sound.

In general, I recommend headphones that comply to the Harman target with low distortion so there is scope to EQ them to your taste. Of the headphones you listed, you can find the reviews here:

- Hifiman Ananda (non-Stealth)
- Hifiman XS - subjective review, the measurements are posted downthread. Oratory1990 measurements here
- Sennheiser HD600

Of the three, I would pick either of the Hifimans (Hifimen?). The Sennheiser is a bit bass shy, and the rising distortion in the bass region means that any attempt to EQ the bass will result in a lot of distortion.

Top Bottom