• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I hate my new subwoofer for certain low frequency

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Pogre

room is 4x11meters ceiling 2.6meter
This is another thing worth mentioning. Your room is pushing 4000 cubic feet. The Monolith subs are pretty awesome, but that's quite a bit of room for a 10" sub.

EB1000

Return it and get dual SVS SB2000 Pro subs. With a good RC you could get much better results with dual sealed subs...

Pogre

Return it and get dual SVS SB2000 Pro subs. With a good RC you could get much better results with dual sealed subs...
Agreed. Dual is the way to go, tho I'd recommend a pair of PB2000 Pros or move up to a pair of ported Monolith THX 12s.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
only happens with tone / sin waves not movies or games
room is 4x11meters ceiling 2.6meter
I have two of the originals and listening to music or movies have never noticed in port chuffing.
1) Never even considered stressing the subs by running tone/sine waves at high spl.
2) I think you may be asking or expecting way too much for a single 10'' sub in that large of a space.
Without question given your space, you should add a second sub.
3) If you only notice this problem while running tone/sine waves, but not movies or games, I don't really see a problem.
4) Running the tone/sine waves at high spl excessively is probably not a good idea for any sub.

Pogre

I have two of the originals and listening to music or movies have never noticed in port chuffing.
1) Never even considered stressing the subs by running tone/sine waves at high spl.
2) I think you may be asking or expecting way too much for a single 10'' sub in that large of a space.
Without question given your space, you should add a second sub.
3) If you only notice this problem while running tone/sine waves, but not movies or games, I don't really see a problem.
4) Running the tone/sine waves at high spl excessively is probably not a good idea for any sub.
1) Yes.
2) Yes!
3) Exactly.
4) Yes.

Pretty much where I land too. At a minimum he should get a second 10" sub, tho I don't think a pair of ported 12s would be overkill either.

iMickey503

Forum Donor
20Hz? Fart Noise? Ported Subwoofer? Plate amp? + Box Rise? = Cliping
At that Volume? Your hitting the LINER operation limits of the suspension of the Driver (SubWoofer)

Test tones are often at 0dB. So I'm Pretty sure this is whats going on.

I'm also not a math guy.
But food for thought?
500 Watts runs out pretty quick at 20 Hz with a 0 dB test tone with the Bass E.Q. dialed in when you set it up for music.

Pogre

I agree that is a huge space for a 10"
Yeah. That and the fact that op is stress testing with a tone generator and pushing it to the edge of its limits tells me he likes his bass. I just did some quick math and came up with a little over 4200 cubic feet, so more than my first guess.

A single 10" sub will absolutely struggle to hit adequate spl in a room that size. I think a pair of 12s should really be where he's at. At a minimum a pair of SVS PB1000 Pros, tho I'd push for the 2000 series. A pair of VTF-2 MK5s or stay with Monoprice and get a pair of M-12 THX subs would work out really well too.

OP
T

tjtremor

I thought it was scuffing?
yes it's scuffing and pretty bad, sealing it helps but it looses output below 30hz

sealing it with a rug like my pic allows some low extensions with air moving without the crazy noise (check YouTube video)

https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater/comments/bu4tkd
I'm not over driving the thing, it's a sinwave/tone generator yes, sub is +0db THX mode & volume on the AVR is around 60%.
The thing suppose to handle 88% (THX +0db on my AVR) and some movies,music do have this low sin wave type sound :)

1649785744836.png

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
yes it's scuffing and pretty bad, sealing it helps but it looses output below 30hz

sealing it with a rug like my pic allows some low extensions with air moving without the crazy noise (check YouTube video)

https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater/comments/bu4tkd
I'm not over driving the thing, it's a sinwave/tone generator yes, sub is +0db THX mode & volume on the AVR is around 60%.
The thing suppose to handle 88% (THX +0db on my AVR) and some movies,music do have this low sin wave type sound :)

View attachment 199477
Just use EQ to get the extension back, also the Port should be sealed way better than this.

Reactions: JRS
OP
T

tjtremor

Just use EQ to get the extension back, also the Port should be sealed way better than this.
I have the plug here that came with the sub. The rug seem to remove the noise & air still moves.

It's hard to explain, but there's heavy turbulence at the port. The rug prevents that.

Anyways, I switched it from THX gain/EQ to +15db/Extended EQ & use AVR sub channel -6db for movies -12db for music. Seem to have opened up more the sub amp. It could be burn-in, as I think it sounds better on day2.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the plug here that came with the sub. The rug seem to remove the noise & air still moves.

It's hard to explain, but there's heavy turbulence at the port. The rug prevents that.

Anyways, I switched it from THX gain/EQ to +15db/Extended EQ & use AVR sub channel -6db for movies -12db for music. Seem to have opened up more the sub amp. It could be burn-in, as I think it sounds better on day2.
What you’re doing is changing the tuning of the port and moving the issue somewhere else in the spectrum.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
you shouldn't run 0dbFS test signals. the internal amp is probably distorting. even the 30Hz tone has tons of harmonics I can even hear on my TV speakers

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's a port, driven hard and at low frequencies where the port takes over in tuning, there will be turbulence at high spl's.
The old video you linked was a driver issue not the port. In Erins video at 18.50, while sitting right next to it, he clearly states there is no noticeable port chuffing to be heard.
Also, these subs are supposed to be dsp tuned internally as to not overdrive the driver.
As @abdo123 stated, using the rug as you are doing in your photos, is changing the tuning of the sub.
I switched it from THX gain/EQ to +15db/Extended EQ & use AVR sub channel -6db for movies -12db for music. Seem to have opened up more the sub amp. It could be burn-in, as I think it sounds better on day2.
This all sound a bit wonky. Have you read the manual on how too properly setup this sub?
1) You need to set the crossover THX toggle switch to off, then control the crossover from your AVR.
If you leave this on, you are now using the crossover built into the sub and the crossover from the AVR, that's neither good nor correct.
2) With regard to Extended or THX mode toggle, extended will give more output but with more distortion. So experiment accordingly.
3) With the level adjustment, turn it all the way down counter-clockwise until you hear a click. That will put it in the THX position, which is supposed to be 0dbs level.
4) Now you control the sub vol levels with your AVR.

Try setting it up as intended and see how that works out. If you still have issues, throw everything out the window and just set to what works, but don't expect more out of a 10'' with your current room size.

Top Bottom