• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I hate my new subwoofer for certain low frequency

tjtremor

My new monolith 10" v2 thx sub sounds good but honestly anything below 30hz where the port kicks in, it sounds like fart noises you make with your mouth:rolleyes:

I can use the plug they included but it kills anything below 30hz. I don't understands monoprice / review saying this extends / rolls off after 20hz.

I stuffed a carpet in there to remove the fart noise and kinda get the low extension but honestly I could of just stayed with my cheap 75w 12" sub, that kinda played 30hz but the dual ports didn't fart

I wonder if there's something wrong with my unit. Using freq generator, https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

1649708901361.png

1649709233588.png

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Doubt it - much more likely youve got room modes or nulls. Try your sub in different positions. It might be better not put under a desk - if that is what I am seeing.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hard to know how you're using it or set it up or your room's influence, your expectations etc. Especially if you found your old cheap sub to be competitive (altho driver diameter and amp power don't indicate much either). Haven't seen port noise complaints like yours for these subs either.

OP
T

tjtremor

Hard to know how you're using it or set it up or your room's influence, your expectations etc. Especially if you found your old cheap sub to be competitive (altho driver diameter and amp power don't indicate much either). Haven't seen port noise complaints like yours for these subs either.
There's something wrong here, have a listen.
Both 17hz & 20hz have crazy port noise. Around 30hz, there's no port noise but sounds weird. Almost like distortion from the woofer surface.
Something I don't get on my 12" that is plastic coat on the woofer surface.

OP
T

tjtremor

Doubt it - much more likely youve got room modes or nulls. Try your sub in different positions. It might be better not put under a desk - if that is what I am seeing.
I can move it around, I have 20ft-30ft available if I use RCA to RCA adapters. Would moving it around fix this ? It does show more of the issue if you play on small speaker like phone.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's something wrong here, have a listen.
Both 17hz & 20hz have crazy port noise. Around 30hz, there's no port noise but sounds weird. Almost like distortion from the woofer surface.
Something I don't get on my 12" that is plastic coat on the woofer surface.

Sorry, my laptop is a horrible way to judge someone's subs. :) Maybe you do have a sub issue, I don't know (let alone your skill at recording it). Do you have a measurement mic?

OP
T

tjtremor

Sorry, my laptop is a horrible way to judge someone's subs. :) Maybe you do have a sub issue, I don't know (let alone your skill at recording it). Do you have a measurement mic?
I can post the REW Distortion tab, would that help show issue below 30hz with port noises / harmonics distortions ?

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How about some details about how you're measuring? Compared to your old sub measured the same way?

Pogre

Is it chuffing during regular listening to music and movies? It's one thing to make a sub misbehave with tone generators and sine waves... how hot are you running it?

Bottom line, 10" isn't a big sub. Not for any decent sized room.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can move it around, I have 20ft-30ft available if I use RCA to RCA adapters. Would moving it around fix this ? It does show more of the issue if you play on small speaker like phone.

What do you mean by it shows more on a phone??

Where is the sub currently positioned - it looks like it is under a table/desk in a small alcove of the room. If that is the case, God knows what interactions you've got going on from reflections. I'd start just by moving it to the center of the room away from everything. Does it still do it there?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it chuffing during regular listening to music and movies? It's one thing to make a sub misbehave with tone generators and sine waves... how hot are you running it?

Good point : are you over-driving it?

OP
T

tjtremor

yeah, I guess it's port chuffing
only happens with tone / sin waves not movies or games but that could be because there's no 20hz content there

max output should be around 104db for 20hz, port noise is very early even at 85db

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
only happens with tone / sin waves not movies or games but that could be because there's no 20hz content there

max output should be around 104db for 20hz, port noise is very early even at 85db
Not if you're setting up nulls with reflections. Then you could be massively over driving the driver, but the reflections cancelling the SPL

Pogre

Well... if you're pumping low frequency sine waves through your sub at high-ish levels and your other speakers aren't playing then it's wholly unsurprising you can hear some chuffing! A lot of subs will chuff to some extent under the right conditions. I mean, what realistically are you going to be listening to with that kind of LF content without your speakers playing?

There is size too tho. How big is your room?

OP
T

tjtremor

Well... if you're pumping low frequency sine waves through your sub at high-ish levels and your other speakers aren't playing then it's wholly unsurprising you can hear some chuffing! A lot of subs will chuff to some extent under the right conditions. I mean, what realistically are you going to be listening to with that kind of LF content without your speakers playing?

There is size too tho. How big is your room?
I listen to some movies and mostly amazon music but there's nothing there below 30hz.

I was just surprised under tone generator/sin wave testing by the port noise. I just re-listened to the review and mine sounds the same after~18:00 time for 25hz tone. I guess I didn't pick-up on this since my old sub doesn't actually have good volume/precision for below 30hz.

room is 4x11meters ceiling 2.6meter

Pogre

And just to be sure, I assumed chuffing but you called it farting. That could be something different. Plus if you're measuring in room you might have the mic in a null. I have 3 big subwoofers and have never stress tested them like that, lol. Just dial 'em in and enjoy. If they misbehave during regular use then you might have a problem.

Pogre

I listen to some movies and mostly amazon music but there's nothing there below 30hz.

I was just surprised under tone generator/sin wave testing by the port noise. I just re-listened to the review and mine sounds the same after~18:00 time for 25hz tone. I guess I didn't pick-up on this since my old sub doesn't actually have good volume/precision for below 30hz.

room is 4x11meters ceiling 2.6meter
Yeah, there ya go. Keep in mind too that a LF sine wave is pretty extreme. Like, that's what it takes to make it misbehave. There's so very little content that will push a sub like that when using it with the rest of your system. It's a decent little sub. I'm turning into a big fan of Monoprice and their Monolith gear.

Top Bottom