• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I am choosing nearfields: Presonus R80v2, Adam A7V or HEDD Type 07?

mj30250

They look pretty good.

Objectively, the KH 120s are still better in most areas: flatter frequency response, less distortion / higher SPL ability, better controlled directivity, especially vertically where you would really want to keep your ears locked into alignment with the tweeters on the Adams. The Adams offer slightly better bass extension, but that's the only obvious advantage I see.

Last edited:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think a pair of Devialet Phantoms would work for the OP. More modern looking than anything here, might not be perfect sound wise but they are very balanced and have a ton of bass extension. Napilopez did some measurements that were promising. (Rougher than what Amir at ASR does but useful to see treble and mid-range evenness.

But perhaps roundness means uglyness.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, it is not that. First, not all monitors have been measured, there may not been enough stats yet.
Agreed - but all Neumanns and Genelecs measured here (and elsewhere) akways had SOTA results. You can't go wrong choosing any of them if sound quality has your highest priority.

rtx_co

They look pretty good.

Objectively, the KH 120s are still better in most areas: flatter frequency response, less distortion / higher SPL ability, better controlled directivity, especially vertically where you would really want to keep your ears locked into alignment with the tweeters on the Adams. The Adams offer slightly better bass extension, but that's the only obvious advantage I see.
thanks for your input, greatly appreciate it!

mj30250

thanks for your input, greatly appreciate it!
Sure thing.

And to be clear, I'm not trying to imply that the A7Vs are mediocre speakers at all. Again, they look good and are certainly well above average per their data at their price point. Neumann and Genelec just aim for that extra layer of performance / perfection.

OP
dosifey

dosifey

Sure thing.

And to be clear, I'm not trying to imply that the A7Vs are mediocre speakers at all. Again, they look good and are certainly well above average per their data at their price point. Neumann and Genelec just aim for that extra layer of performance / perfection.
I think that HEDD should measure just a bit better. Especially in the closed box configuration.

unpluggged

I think that HEDD should measure just a bit better. Especially in the closed box configuration.
They hiss insanely and also they fail too often. They do sound great, though. Probably these issues were fixed since, but their price also has gone up from 799 to 999 euro recently.

If I had to decide today, I'd rather get a pair of KH 150. I really like how my KH 120 sound (I only miss the Type 07's low end with them; it's incredible how did they manage to make an all-analog speaker with this kind of performance back in 2011 at this price point), and with built-in room correction KH 150 give you more value for money.

OP
dosifey

dosifey

They hiss insanely and also they fail too often. They do sound great, though. Probably these issues were fixed since, but their price also has gone up from 799 to 999 euro recently.
Well, not all facts are correct as of now.
1. They do not hiss any more.
2. Type 07 MK2 has room correction and different DSP settings now. Thus, has DSP. Jury is out on whether it is a good or bad thing. But everyone using DSPs now, so take it or leave it.
3. I can easily source them for 800 EUR in Australia right now. It may be a clearance price or similar, but it is the fact.

They do fail a lot though. It is true. I guess the electronics in them is way too complex hence why they fail. But it looks like the newer revision of the electronics is a lot more reilable. HEDD offer three years of warranty.

Coming back to the subject of price. The cheapest Neumann 150 are around 1800 EUR (around $3000 AUD) per one monitor. Making them twice the price of HEDDs. They are extremely popular now though. Number one neafield monitor on Thomann, despite the price. (Or maybe that is one of the reasons of such a high price tag). Type 30 MK2 can be had for such a price! (As off Feb 2023 this may change later)...

unpluggged

They do not hiss any more.
That's good to know. But I'm stuck with a hissing pair of speakers, one of which failed after less than a year of use.

Type 07 MK2 has room correction
The DSP settings on the monitor can barely be considered room correction. I did find them useful, though. Linearizer, CoP, LF extension are great options. In any case, enjoy your pair. If they don't hiss and fail, it's a great choice. Hope they will last.

After nearly a year since the failure, I now have it sent for a replacement. I'd like to see how the replacement unit would perform. The retailer even promised to send me a unit from older batch so I won't end up with a pair where one of the speakers does hiss and the other doesn't :rolleyes:

OP
dosifey

dosifey

one of which failed after less than a year of use
How did yours fail? Dead DSP module I take it? Was yours one of the first batches (revision 1 DSP)?

unpluggged

How did yours fail? Dead DSP module I take it?
Apparently so. At least the symptoms are similar to what others describe.

Was yours one of the first batches (revision 1 DSP)?
Must be. I ordered my pair in early February 2021, when the model was first listed for sale, and it was back-ordered then due to delays in manufacturing, so they shipped only in the end of April. Too bad there is very little communication on the matter from the manufacturer about the revisions they made to the product. Not to mention any recalls. Nor am I aware of HEDD's position regarding this situation, if there is any.

Do you happen to have any details? Is it worth to contact HEDD directly, for instance?

OP
dosifey

dosifey

Do you happen to have any details? Is it worth to contact HEDD directly, for instance?
It is worth to contact them directly, for sure. Hopefully, these problems are just childhood illnesses of a young company.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Coming back to the subject of price. The cheapest Neumann 150 are around 1800 EUR (around $3000 AUD) per one monitor. Making them twice the price of HEDDs. They are extremely popular now though. Number one neafield monitor on Thomann, despite the price.

If you had to answer quickly to "why is a product for professionals selling a lot of units for a high price", what would the answer be?

OP
dosifey

dosifey

If you had to answer quickly to "why is a product for professionals selling a lot of units for a high price", what would the answer be?
Why would I ask myself such complex questions? I would rather ask "Why would I pay twice the price for this monstrosity?"...

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would I ask myself such complex questions? I would rather ask "Why would I pay twice the price for this monstrosity?"...

Good idea! The most obvious answer is exactly the same for both questions.

OP
dosifey

dosifey

By the way, I may have been a fool trusting measurements so blindly

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
By the way, I may have been a fool trusting measurements so blindly
If you aren't joking and really mean that be assured that still holds true and that video title is just lurid as just on-axis frequency response of course doesn't tell the whole story but this is known for decades.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
^Browsing through that video but I can't find where he addresses something like the NFS system Amir uses to measure... Not to mention that you are hearing projection/reflection of the speaker, which can be measured.

I have yet to hear of two speakers measuring the same sounding different. It's not uncommon though for people to listen to various sizes of The Ones though and to note that bass extension and volume are the primary differences, and that at similar volumes nearfied, they sound the same if there's isn't bass playing.

I think it would be fund to take my 8260, 8351, and 8331 outside and have a listening session if more people lived nearby. See if we can all tell the differences or not when only playing a violin or higher pitched vocalist.

OP
dosifey

dosifey

Klaus rambles a lot there, unfortunately. The main idea is clear though, but it is a bit hard to understand how he comes to it. It is a bit hard to understand what is the difference between say, human ears and a microphone placed in the same spot.

I think the most objective test, as always, would be a blind listening test.

badspeakerdesigner

Klaus rambles a lot there, unfortunately. The main idea is clear though, but it is a bit hard to understand how he comes to it. It is a bit hard to understand what is the difference between say, human ears and a microphone placed in the same spot.

I think the most objective test, as always, would be a blind listening test.

That's like the opposite of objective.

Top Bottom