• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I am choosing nearfields: Presonus R80v2, Adam A7V or HEDD Type 07?

OP
dosifey

dosifey

Are Dynaudio lyd 7, Focal Shape Twin good? They are certainly quite cheap... I am having second thoughts about ADAM and HEDD, for various reasons.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the short of it is the OP needs to decide if they are going for accuracy or looks and specs.

If it's accuracy, stop discussing all the unremarkable speakers that don't stand out and figure out your budget for Genelec or Neumann.

Otherwise, pick whichever plays the highest resolution audio internally and has the coolest looking ribbon/amt.

If you're looking for a reliable car you don't argue about the pros and cons of a Chevy vs GM vs Fiat vs Audi. There is nothing about any of them that is remarkable or notable when it comes to reliability.

You categorically dismiss them and start talking about Lexus, Toyota, Honda, and Mazda and the latest reliability reports.

In this case, Genelec and Neumann are the Lexus.

Stop talking about HEDD, Focal, Adam, and most others unless they are doing something state of the art that is desired, or pick whichever one looks the coolest.

OP
dosifey

dosifey

In this case, Genelec and Neumann are the Lexus.
Sure, with the only difference that Lexus looks nice and Genelec and Neumann look like
6da6a5675344aa3321a66414b2b85748.png

Can a good monitor be not ugly as well?

OP
dosifey

dosifey

It appears as though looks is the top criteria for OP.
No it is not.

As they say, "happiness is when they understand you". So far, this has not been achieved. Or is it just more convenient for you not to understand me?

I will try to explain again. The main criterea for me is the sound. Sound is a complex thing, but I trust and rely mostly on measurements. Unfortunately, not all monitors have been measured.

Luckily for Neumann 150, it has been measured well. And so, everyone just recommends that to everyone, it is getting to a point where this forum is not needed any more. Why select anything - just get Neumanns. Nice and easy. Are Neumanns and Genelecs the only two brands that measure well?

Just so happens that I find them a bit ugly. If I had to choose just by measurements I would have to live with that. But apart from looks another criteria that I consider is material and overall quality, features and usability.

There is a monitor which was designed just to measure well: kali in-8, I considered it and I do not want it.

Last edited:

Digby

Major Contributor
Some posters haven't been that helpful. If you prefer AMT then they should try to understand your choice. Did you read my post on the last page?

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Luckily for Neumann 150, it has been measured well. And so, everyone just recommends that to everyone, it is getting to a point where this forum is not needed any more. Why select anything - just get Neumanns. Nice and easy. Are Neumanns and Genelecs the only two brands that measure well?

Those are brands that seem to measure the best. In a setting where objective measurements are appreciated the most, is it wonder that products that excel in those are the default recommendations? What would be the basis to recommend something else if there are no better measuring products? I'm sure that many other speakers would provide same or even better subjective experience for someone but how could these be recommended by people not familiar with said users personal preferences?

OP
dosifey

dosifey

Some posters haven't been that helpful. If you prefer AMT then they should try to understand your choice. Did you read my post on the last page?
Yes, I added Eve to the list as well. I just do not quite understand why I should chose it over HEDD to ADAM... Thanks for the recommendation, seems a solid monitor.

Digby

Major Contributor
I just do not quite understand why I should chose it over HEDD to ADAM...
I had a chance to compare Hedd 07 and SC208, very little in it - eve has nice sound and is a bit cheaper. Sc208 is a large bookshelf speaker though.

OP
dosifey

dosifey

Those are brands that seem to measure the best. In a setting where objective measurements are appreciated the most, is it wonder that products that excel in those are the default recommendations? What would be the basis to recommend something else if there are no better measuring products? I'm sure that many other speakers would provide same or even better subjective experience for someone but how could these be recommended by people not familiar with said users personal preferences?
No, it is not that. First, not all monitors have been measured, there may not been enough stats yet. And secondly, if you disregard those two, you select "just based on looks" all of a sudden. Well, it is not either or. Measurements, value, looks, functionality, reliability, usability - all of it in a complex should be considered.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, with the only difference that Lexus looks nice and Genelec and Neumann look like View attachment 263281

Personally I love that vehicle and also the look of Genelec. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Hi

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No, it is not that. First, not all monitors have been measured, there may not been enough stats yet.

No, not all monitors have been measured never will be. Even if we had every commercially available speaker measured there is a possibility that some DIY practitioner in the Himalayas produces awe inspiring, physics defining pieces of art from completely recycled materials but as in other things in life it is so much simpler if we stick to what we know.

Is it enough to make recommendations? Well, that is for anyone to decide, but if you feel it isn't then what kind of recommendations would you like to get? How could they include speakers that haven't been measured or that we don't yet know about?

OP
dosifey

dosifey

DIY practitioner in the Himalayas
Really? HEDD Type 07 MK2 and ADAM A7V? DIY? Is that considered boutique brands now?

mj30250

I use several RAAL ribbons in my main multichannel setup and am a huge proponent and admirer of their performance in their respective loudspeaker integrations. I also have several very competent Revel speakers with beryllium tweeters and easily prefer the treble reproduction of the ribbons, so I understand the ease with which one can start to limit options in driver design and materials to what they've found works well. However, I would caution anyone to not get too hung up on such things. The entire package needs to be considered.

With that in mind, I recently purchased Neumann KH 150s for nearfield use on a desktop and am absolutely thrilled with their performance. As their measurements show, they are incredibly transparent, perfectly balanced, maintain somewhat narrow but very well controlled directivity (a benefit for desktop use where walls are typically close by), can play extremely loudly with no audible distortion, and offer very respectable bass extension for their size. If you opt to use the MA 1 room correction software and can get beyond the sometimes buggy and frustrating UX, the end result can be wonderful. I dialed a healthy bass boost into my target curve and am in heaven while working away at my desk.

I can't help you with the aesthetics, though. I think they look fine. My wife seems to agree with you.

FWIW, I'm not sure where you live, but I was able to get them brand new from an authorized dealer for $2940 shipped to the USA, which would bring them closer in pricing to the HEDDs.

rtx_co

Again, the kh150 is over twice as much as the a7v, kh120 would be the more fair comparison, so I'm just gonna straight up ask here: does kh120 measure better than a7v ? Is it the objectively superior choice purely based in SQ ?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Sure, with the only difference that Lexus looks nice and Genelec and Neumann look like View attachment 263281

Sure, just increase your budget a BIT and get these:

Ellebob

Forum Donor
If you are looking for something more aesthetic why not consider some passive speakers with a small amp? Revel, Kef, etc. can measure well and would work fine for monitors with a small amp say from Topping or SMSL if you don't need too loud. Most monitors defitely are not good looking. Some of the Focal monitors have wood grain which may meet your aesthetic preference.

Top Bottom