• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I am choosing nearfields: Presonus R80v2, Adam A7V or HEDD Type 07?

badspeakerdesigner

I just don't see how I am being scammed. The further I get from high res the more expensive it gets (from the options provided here).

I have no idea what you're saying there.

Thanks, I had a look, they do look ugly to my taste. Similar options from ADAM or HEDD are a lot cheaper, not even mentioning Presonus. In terms of their measurements compared to Presonus HEDD and ADAM - could not find anything easily for Genelec and Neumann in order to compare...

No offense but I don't think you're really reading much of what I'm saying. I already stated you can find reviews of adam, HEDD, genelec, and nuemann speakers on THIS website.

You should just pick whatever AMT based speaker you think looks the coolest to you, because you're not at all receptive to the info being shared here.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Talking about tweeters
Why not Focal solo 6?
It's Berillyum tweeter will crush any AMT or ribbon out there .
But overall I agree about Neumann and Genelec being better than the options you mentioned

OP
dosifey

dosifey

I have no idea what you're saying there.
Presonus - fully analogue, thus full high res compatibility is the cheapest.
HEDD - a little more expensive but a digital cap of 32/96.
ADAM - even more expensive and internal cut off 24/96.
Genelec and Neumann - the most expensive and unable to reproduce anything above 20-21Khz physically.

Definition of being scammed: to trick someone into giving you money, usually in an illegal way: He was scammed out of $500 in what he thought was a legitimate way to get U. S. immigration papers. They totally scammed us! Related word.

OP
dosifey

dosifey

OP
dosifey

dosifey

No offense but I don't think you're really reading much of what I'm saying. I already stated you can find reviews of adam, HEDD, genelec, and nuemann speakers on THIS website.
Yeah I did and HEDD measures better than Neumann. Am I missing something?

badspeakerdesigner

Genelec and Neumann - the most expensive and unable to reproduce anything above 20-21Khz physically.

Definition of being scammed: to trick someone into giving you money, usually in an illegal way: He was scammed out of $500 in what he thought was a legitimate way to get U. S. immigration papers. They totally scammed us! Related word.

You need to do research on how sample rate and bit depth affect audio, so you can realize that these numbers you think matter actually don't. It boggles my mind how you're just totally missing what I'm saying.

Hi-res is a scam, you can only hear up to 20khz, and the only difference between you're standard lossless 44.1khz file, is that it has information beyond 20khz. You can't hear beyond 20khz, so they are selling you something you can't hear on the claim that it is better. I'm not sure how you're not getting this, I've repeated it several times.

OP
dosifey

dosifey

Hi-res is a scam,

We keep coming back to this high res discussion. I hear you. Let's assume that I gain nothing by ability to play high res. What am I to lose? Equipment capable of doing so is cheaper, so I am not losing any money.

badspeakerdesigner

Yeah I did and HEDD measures better than Neumann. Am I missing something?

You likely don't know how to interpret the info because that isn't what it shows, there's a lot and it takes a lot of time and experience to be able to break it all down, here are the key points.

The KH150 has flatter frequency response, it is more neutral.
The KH150 has considerably lower distortion
The KH150 has better dispersion
The KH150 has cleaner impulse response

In just about every performance metric the KH150 is a better speaker.

Last edited:
OP
dosifey

dosifey

In just about every performance metric the KH150 is a better speaker.
To start, could you provide me with links to both measurements? We may be looking at different graphs. The price difference is about 2.5 times in favour of HEDD.

badspeakerdesigner

FWIW every speaker neumann makes measures better than the HEDD, albeit with differences in LF extension in the smaller neumann speakers. The 310 is closer to the HEDD than anything, but wins out in distortion.

Honken

But those are not the speakers he is talking about. The KH 150 is another price league from the Type 07, but compared to the Type 20 I'd also go for the KH 150 (or 310). You are right though, the DA performance of active speakers is more or less inconsequential.

I don't think I've seen any spins of the Type 07, but the measurements of the Type 20 didn't really impress me considering the price. The T series from Adam seemed decent for the price, not sure about the A series.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The PreSonus R80v2 has a FR 40hz- 22khz so I'm confused what you're saying.
I think some of the Adam's go as high as 40khz? But I don't get it. Just because you're playing a hi res file of say 24/192 doesn't mean the speaker is going to reproduce it at 192khz.

OP
dosifey

dosifey

The PreSonus R80v2 has a FR 40hz- 22khz so I'm confused what you're saying.
That's true. To be honest, I forgot about that. But it is weaker than the other two anyway. Soundwise. So I decided not to go with it anyway.

I think some of the Adam's go as high as 40khz
Yes, ribbon twitter allows that. But yes you are right - physical limitations of any monitors should only allow up to 96Khz. Anything higher than that will not be able to be reproduced, if I am not missing anything. (If those higher frequencies do not affect lower ones in any way).

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got the Adam A7 and the Sub 8 for my desktop PC audio. I'm also using a Topping E70 Velvet dac and absolutely love this setup. I hear details in my music and games I never knew were there when I ran passive speakers + integrated amp systems.

View attachment 262133

Adam also gives free access to A Control Soundworks software to fine tune your speakers to a greater detail. That DSP module you mentioned is a feature on their S series.

Nice clock.

rtx_co

Budget seems all over the place, KH150 is twice as much as the A7V, same goes for the Focal Solo6 , KH120 or maybe Focal Shape 65 may be more fair comparisons to the A7V, I'm on the same boat as OP so would really appreciate an objective comparison between those!

Digby

Major Contributor
If you like ribbon/AMT tweeters, don't discount Eve. I heard the SC208 and it had a very nice midrange and good bass too, I just I didn't get on with the AMT (same with Hedd). So perhaps add Eve speakers to the list.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We keep coming back to this high res discussion. I hear you. Let's assume that I gain nothing by ability to play high res. What am I to lose? Equipment capable of doing so is cheaper, so I am not losing any money.
Sound quality of high res playback with frequencies above 20 kHz can suffer by higher distortion, IMD products may be in the audible range, and many tweeters have ugly resonances above 20 kHz which when triggered may lead to audible artifacts. That's the reason why Neumann cuts frequencies above 20 kHz. Eventually high res audio offers no audible advantage at all but may lead to worse sound quality compared to std res.

OP
dosifey

dosifey

Top Bottom